What's new

The Significance of Muharram and Aashoora

Stallion

New Recruit

Reaction score
THE MONTH OF MUHARRAM

With the sighting of the new moon the Islaamic new year is ushered in. The first month Muharram is one of the four sacred months that Allah has mentioned in the Holy Qur'aan:

"Lo! The number of the months with Allah is twelve months by Allah's ordinance in the day that He created the heavens and the earth. Four of them are sacred: that is the right religion. So wrong not yourselves in them". (9:36)

The specification of these four sacred months is stated in a hadeeth narrated by Abu Bakrah radhiyallahu anhu ; Verily time has completed its cycle and returned to its original stage as it was on the day Allah created the heavens and the earth. The year consists of twelve months, four of which are sacred. Three of them occur consecutively; Zil Qa'dah, Zil Hijjah and Muharram , (the fourth being) Rajab of Mudhar (named after the tribe of Mudhar as they used to respect this month) which occurs between Jamadiul Aakhir and Sha'baan.
(Bukhari Vol.2 Page 622)

From out of the four sacred months, Muharram has been blessed with certain specific virtues. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam said: The best of fasts besides the month of Ramadhaan is the fasting of Allah's month of Muharram and the best of salaat besides the fardh (compulsory) salaat is the tahajjud salaat (performed after midnight before dawn).
(Muslim Vol.1 Page 368)

In another hadeeth, Ibne Abbas radhiyallahu anhu reports that the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alayhi wasallam said: He who fasts on the day of Arafah (9th Zil Hijjah), his fast will be a compensation for the sins of two years and the one that keeps a fast in the month of Muharram will receive the reward of thirty fasts for each fast (in this sacred month).
(Tabraani, At Targheeb Wat Tarheeb Vol.2 Page 114.)

THE DAY OF AASHOORAA (10th MUHARRAM)

The tenth day of this sacred month, Muharram is known as Aashooraa. It is one of the most important and blessed days of Allah in the Islaamic calendar. Some ulamaa (scholars) are of the opinion that before the fasts of Ramadhaan were made compulsory, the fast of the day of Aashooraa was compulsory upon the ummah. This is stated in a hadeeth reported by Aaishah radhiyallahu anha that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam ordered the observance of the fast of Aashooraa. However, when the fast of Ramadhaan became compulsory, then whosoever wished, kept this fast and whosoever desired did not observe this fast.
(Bukhari Vol.1 Page 268)

But, nevertheless the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam continued to fast this day and encouraged his Companions to do the same. Ibne Abbas radhiyallahu anhu says: I did not see Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam anxiously await the fast of any day, which he gave preference to over other days, but this day, the day of Aashooraa.
(Bukhari Vol.1 Page 268)

Humayd Ibne Abdur Rahamaan narrates that he heard Mu'aawiyah Ibne Abi Sufyaan radhiyallahu anhu on the day of 'Aashooraa, during the year he performed hajj, saying on the pulpit: "O the people of Madinah! Where are your ulaama (scholars)? I heard Rasullullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam saying: This is the day of Aashooraa. Allah has not enjoined its fasting on you but I am fasting it. Whosoever wish, keep (this) fast and whosoever desires do not observe (this fast)."
(Bukhari Vol.1 Page 268)

In another hadeeth, Ibne Abbas radhiyallahu anhu narrates that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam came to Madinah and found the Jews fasting on the day of Aashooraa. Hence the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam inquired of them, "What is (the significance of) this day on which you fast?" They replied, "This is a great day. On this day Allah saved Moosa and his people and drowned Fir'awn and his nation. Thus Moosa alayhis salaam fasted on this day as a token of thanksgiving, therefore we too fast on this day." The Messenger of Allah sallallahu alayhi wasallam said, "We are more worthy of Moosa and nearer to him than you." Thereafter, the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam fasted on this day and ordered (his Companions) that a fast be kept on this day."
(Muslim Vol.1 Page 359)

RECOMMENDED DEEDS ON THE DAY OF AASHOORAA

* The Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam has exhorted and encouraged his ummah to fast on this day. Abu Qataadah radhiyallahu anhu narrates that the Holy Prophet sallahllahu alayhi wasallam was asked regarding the fast of the day of Aashooraa. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam replied: "It is a compensation for the (minor) sins of the past year".
(Muslim Vol.1 Page 368)

NOTE:- It must be borne in mind that wherever a promise of forgiveness of sins is made upon the fulfilment of some action, it is only the minor sins that are forgiven. The major sins are not forgiven without true tawbah (repentance).

* One should also observe the fast of the 9th Muharram to safeguard his deed from resemblance with the non-muslims who fast only on the 10th Muharram. Ibne Abbas radhiyallahu anhu said: When Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam observed the fast of the day of Aashooraa and ordered (his Companions) to fast, they said, "O Rasulullah! It is a day revered by the Jews and Christians." Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam said, "The coming year, if Allah wills, we will fast on the ninth (also)".
(Muslim Vol.1 Page 359)

These ahadeeth indicate clearly that one should fast on the ninth and tenth of Muharram. However, if one does not manage to fast on the ninth, then he should fast on the eleventh of Muharram instead. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam said: "Observe the fast of Aashooraa and oppose the Jews. Fast a day before it or a day after."
(Bayhaqi)

Hence, it is important to either fast on the ninth and tenth of Muharram or the tenth and eleventh. To fast only on the day of Aashooraa is makrooh tanzeehi as stated by Allamah Ibne Aabideen Shaami.

* One should be generous on one's family and dependants and spend more on them than what is normally spent. Abu Hurayrah radhiyallahu anhu reports that Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam said: "One who generously spends on his family on the day of Aashooraa, Allah will increase (his provision) for the whole year".
(Bayhaqi, At Targheeb Wat Tarheeb Vol.2 Page 116)

These are the only actions supported by ahaadeeth.

IMPERMISSIBLE ACTS ON THE DAY OF AASHOORAA

It is absolutely clear that the significance of the day of Aashooraa is from the time of the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam. However, many people regard this day as the day of mourning the martyrdom of Husayn radhiyallahu anhu. The martyrdom of Husayn radhiyallahu anhu was indeed a great tragedy but Islaam is not a religion of perpetual mourning. Abu Saeed radhiyallahu anhu relates that Rasullullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam has cursed mourners and those who listen to them (attentively).
(Abu Dawood)

The pages of Islaamic History are filled with the blood of the martyrs. Should we begin to mourn the martyrdom of the Sahaabah alone, every other day would be a day of mourning. Thus, to attribute the significance of Aashooraa to the martyrdom of Husayn radhiyallahu anhu is baseless. Therefore, the host of baseless customs with regard to his martyrdom must be discarded.

Shaykh Abdul Haqq Muhaddith Dehlawi writes: Beware! Do not participate in the innovations of the Rawaafidh. Do not involve yourself in the mourning, lamenting and displaying grief. This is not the conduct of the Muslims. If mourning was permissible then the day of the demise of Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam would have been more worthy for (mourning and lamenting). Also, refrain from innovations of the Khawaarij (those who harbour hatred for the family of Rasullullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam).

Originally posted in another pakistani forum, I forgot the link or name of the Author but Topic contains very important info.plz dont start a sectarian debate.

Originally posted in another pakistani forum, I forgot the link or name of the Author but Topic contains very important info.plz dont start a sectarian debate.

Without any sectarian connotations, I would like to state that in the Arabian Penisula, that is Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar and UAE, Ashoora is like any other day. No holiday and every one works normally. If there was any special significance to Ashura , except the martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussein, it is not there now. First of Muharram on the other hand is celeberated as official holiday as 'New Year' of Islamic calendar.

[/COLOR]
Without any sectarian connotations, I would like to state that in the Arabian Penisula, that is Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar and UAE, Ashoora is like any other day. No holiday and every one works normally. If there was any special significance to Ashura , except the martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussein, it is not there now. First of Muharram on the other hand is celeberated as official holiday as 'New Year' of Islamic calendar.

HAZRAT UMAR(R.A) embraced Shadat on the first of Muharram.
According to Hadith lot of important events would take place on the day of Aashoora.

[/COLOR]

HAZRAT UMAR(R.A) embraced Shadat on the first of Muharram.
According to Hadith lot of important events would take place on the day of Aashoora.

The above mentioned are important to Muslims.wahabies dont belive in them so obviously they will celebrate newyears as HAzrat-umar shadat have no importance (toba toba toba)when it comes to party :chilli: time.And nothing special happend in muharam as far as they are concerned.

Assalam o Aleikum Brothers

Not to start off something cataclysmic, but as true muslims, we must devote our lives to religious thought and understanding.

It is a Hadith by the Holy Prophet PBUH, that near the time of qiamath, there will be 72 sects of Islam, but only one will be the original religion, untamperred and authantic, and only these followers will go to heaven, all the rest of the sects will be condemed to hell fire.

I feel that personally, this Hadith has great admonishment attached to it and hence forth makes it obligatory upon muslims to find THAT ONE TRUE SECT.

May Allah And The King Of All Prophets PBUH and his beloved guide us all (Ameen).

Wahabis on the other hand are rapidly being recognised as being totally different from sunnis and IMHO and limited study, are not the true sect as their history can be traced back to the British Intelligenca and lawrence of arabia.

Wahabis on the other hand are rapidly being recognised as being totally different from sunnis and IMHO and limited study, are not the true sect as their history can be traced back to the British Intelligenca and lawrence of arabia

Unquote

Wahabism in Arabia goes back at least a hundred year before the 'Lawrence of Arabia'

Abdul Wahab was a Yemenite, who came to Mecca for Hajj and found many practices by the then Turkish rulers to be un Islamic. He was a follower of Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal and also Imam Ibne Timiya ( a 13th century Syrian Scholar founder of the 'Salafin' philosophy and anti non-Arab muslims). The time was towards the end of the 17th Century/early 18th century. He got support from the followers of Hanbali maslak in the central Arabia ( Najd and Riyadh) and started a socio/religious cum political compaign to purify Islam.

In his book called Tawhid he forbids many practices prevailing in the Arab society those days. He was very strict and ruthless in elimination of all 'hersey' aka "Bidaat" from Islam. His followers captured the Hijaz and forced their brand of Islam literally by sword. ( This was against muslims not against non muslims).

Among one of the acts was to attack Shia shrine of Najaf in Iraq and level it to the ground. He also started to force Turkish pilgrims to convert when they came for Hajj else they weren't allowed to perform pilgrimage. This finally moved the Turkish Khalifa to act and he ordered his Egyptian governor (Khadiv) Mohammed Ali Pasha to clear Hijaz from the Wahabis. Wahabis were defeated and returned to the central Arabian homeland. Abdul Wahab had made an agreement with the ruling family ( Saud's) and his decendents are still head of the relgious affairs in KSA.

British came to Egypt many years after Mohammad Ali when Isamil Pasha was forced to sell his Suez Canal shares to UK ( Disraelli was the premier- Vicotoria the Queen) . Their initial interest in Egypt was during the Napoleanic war but it was only reinforced later and primarily meant to safeguard Indian Empire.
BTW total period of British influnce in Egypt/Sudan is only 70 years against nearly 200 years in the sub contninent.

Shah Wali Allah Mohaddis Dehlavi performed a Hajj in the early 1800's when there was still strong influence of Wahabis in the Hijaz. He was very impressed and included many of the Wahabi principals in his teachings. His student Qasim Nanotavi founded Deoband School around 1860's and one can see Wahabi influnce in Deobandi school of thought. Shah Wali Allah's son ( Shah Ismail along with Syed Ahmad Shaheed Barelvi) founded an Islamic Emirate in NWFP area. After a short period, they were defeated by the Sikh general Hari Singh Nalwa ( founder of Haripur Hazara) at Balakot. Modern day Taliban and JUI of Mufti Mahmood/Fazlur Rahman are a continuation of that movement.

Wahabis sided with the Hashmites of Hijaz and the English to oust the Turks from Arabain penisula during WW1. Some 15 years later central Arabian tribes under the leader ship of Abdul Aziz Ibne Saud defeated and killed most of the Hashmites/ Sharif Hussein ( great grand father of King Hussein) and formed modern KSA.

I am not a Wahabi, but historically incorrect statements irritate me. I am just a student of history and who wants know how it really happened.

Hello Niaz,

Good history of the Wahabis. Ofcourse the wahabi movement can be traced back even before the WW1, but what I meant to say was that wahabis came into power with the aid of the british agencies and at the time of WW1.

Secondly, i feel that Shah Wali Ullah (RATA) was never influenced by the wahabi teachins, it is just a myth. I feel that those were very confusing times in the Sub Continent and historians and people got a misleading message. I do have reason to believe that his son turned into a deobandi or wahabi (both more less the same). Please enlighten me me you have some evidence leading to believe that Shah Wali Ullah was influenced by wahabis.

All other you have said I agree with. Deobandi movement is also called 'Petro-Dollar Islam" in the 1970's in Pakistan at the time of maududi, as it was highly influenced abd helped by the Saudis financially by the trade of fuel.

I for one want to know history, because it gives invaluable insight about the truth. I write this in reply f your statement that nobody is interested in wahabi history.

Any input about the sects in Afghanistan? I know that the taliban is predominently wahabi/deobandi but what about the geeral population? are they shias or barelvis/ehl e sunnat wa jammat? I ask that because many great sufis have emerged from that region including the infamous Data Sahib
:flag:

I refrain from commenting about different sects because religion is a matter of personal belief and every one has a right to believe what he feels is right for him.

Shah Wali Allah visited Mecca either during or just after Wahabi era in Hijaz. Deoband school was started by his student. Both Deobandi and Braelvi schools follow Hanafi doctrine, but the more strict nature of Deobandi teaching and the difference in the two Hanafi schools ( for example disdain of Peers by Deobandis) lead me to conclude the Wahabi influence. However I could be wrong.

If you look at the Muslim world today, you find it divided into Arabs muslims and non Arab muslims. Most of the Sunni Arab muslims follow Hanbali, Shaafai or Maliki fiqah. Some 15- 20% are Athna Ashaary Shias. Very few Alawis, Ismailis and even some Khaariji ( Ibaadites of Oman). Majority of non Arab muslims including those of Afghanistan follow Hanafi doctrine with 20% being Shia or Ismaeli. Indonesian muslims resemble Hanfi closely with a few Mutizallites ideas thrown in. Hardly any Shias in North Africa. Only exception; Lebenon and Iraq where Shias are in majority in Arab Poulation and Iran among non Arabs.

Nearly all of the subcontinent Sunni muslims follow Hanafi Fiqah. Remember the schools only deal with the Sharia ( Jurisprudence) and each region has many local ideas and practices thrown in. For example the concept of "Urs" literally meaning wedding in the sense that death is a meeting with one's maker; was virtually unknown during the early period of Islam. Taliban consider many of the local Pashtoon traditions as part of Isalm.

Most important Sufi philosopher was Sh. Ibne Arabi, a North African Arab and contemporary of Imam ibne Timiya. Many orthodox muslim scholars ( Sh. Ibne Timiya included) believe the Sufi concepts of Wahdat al Wajood and Wahdat al Shahood as alien to Islam. It is therefore difficult to categorise Sufis into one of the different orthodox schools of thought. Majority of Peers and Sufis were however Sunnis. Actually among many Sufi "tariqas" I came across only one that was Athna Ashaary Shia.

I am not an Islamic scholar so anything I say about any school of Islamic thought should be taken as saying by "Layman" and certainly not jugdemental.
I read, any thing I can lay my hands on with historical perspective only.

:lol: :lol: :toast: man thats a classic one in deed i think he is having a really emotional outrage!:chilli: i like the part where he slaps his bold head with both his hands :hrr: and then he goes like this:yahoo: man thats what i call an uncalled for exaggeration is all about:rofl:

That is a disgusting video.

Shaheed Ayatullah Baqir al Hakim was our dearest scholar, and he was martyred by ****** scum after finishing Friday Prayers. His entire family was martyred by saddam and he dedicated his entire life for Justice in Iraq.

May Allah curse those who made that video, he is reciting prayers for the Martyrs of Karbala and his love for Ahlul Bayt is undefinable and he starts beating himself out of thinking about their pain...

As for the original thread, useless hadith really to take away the significance of Muharram. Game of politics the despots starting with the dictator yazid needed away to keep the people away from realising what had happened, so they fabricated hadith.

Abu Huraira narrated:

The Prophet (PBUH) looked toward Ali, Hasan, Husain, and Fatimah (AS),
and then said: "I am in war with those who will fight you, and in
peace with those who are peaceful to you."

Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v5, p699

Narrated Anas Ibn Malik said:

"The head of al-Husain was brought to Ubaidullah Ibn Ziyad and was put
in a tray, and then Ibn Ziyad started playing with a stick at the nose
and mouth of al-Husain's head, and saying something about his handsome
features." Anas then said (to him): "Al-Husain resembled the Prophet
more than any other people."

Sahih al-Bukhari, Arabic-English, v5, Tradition #91

Narrated Salma:

"I went to visit Umm Salamah and found her weeping. I asked her what
was making her weep and she replied that she had seen Allah's
Messenger (PBUH&HF) (meaning in a dream) with dust on his head and
beard. She asked him what was the matter and he replied, `I have just
been present at the slaying of al-Husayn.'"

- Sahih Tirmidhi, per:
- Mishkat al-Masabih, by Khatib al-Tabrizi, English Version, Tdadition #6157

Narrated Abdullah Ibn Abbas:

One day at midday he saw in a dream the Prophet (PBUH&HF) dishevelled
and dusty with a bottle containing blood in his hand and said, "You
for whom I would give my father and mother as ransom, what is this?"
He replied, "This is the blood of al-Husayn and his companions which I
have been collecting today." He told that he was reckoning that time
and found that he had been killed at that time.

- Musnad Ahmad Hanbal;
- Dala'il an-Nubuwwah, by al-Bayhaqi; per:
- Mishkat al-Masabih, by Khatib al-Tabrizi, English Version, Tdadition #6172

Aisha narrated:

The Prophet (PBUH&HF) said: "Gabriel informed me that my grandson al-
Husain (AS) will be killed after me in the land of al-Taff and brought
me this Turbah (mudd/soil) and informed me that this is the soil of
the place he will be martyred."

Sunni reference:
- Tabaqat, by Ibn Sa'd,
- al-Tabarani, as quoted in:
- al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar Haythami, Ch. 11, section 3, p292

Not only human beings, but also the Jinns mourn for Imam al-Husain. It has
been narrated that after his (AS) martyrdom:

Um Salama (the wife of Prophet (S)) said: I heard the Jinns (the
unseen creatures) mourning for al-Husain."

Sunni references:
(1) Tarikh al-Kabir, by al-Bukhari (the author of Sahih), v4, part 1, p26
(2) Fada'il al-Sahaba, by Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v2, p776, Tradition #1373
(3) Tabarani, v3, pp 130-131
(4) Tahdhib, v7, p404

The tragedy of Karbala was so severe, they butchered the family of the Prophet in the most brutal ways, not only that they enslaved the women of the Prophet's family. It shows us the demise of islam, and those who think it's a day of celebration are simply a reminder of that demise. Pathetic.

What did our great scholars of Pakistan write about this? I'm not talking about the ugly turban wearing jamate islami people.

What did Allamah Iqbal write?

Ronay wala hoon Shaheed-e-Kerbala key gham men main,
Kya durey maqsad na dengey Saqiye Kausar mujhey

I am one who weeps at the plight of the Martyr of Kerbala
Won't the reward be given to me by the Keeper of Kauser (Imam Ali (A))

sry I didn't knew that he was scholar. Anyway I will remove the link.

Back
Top Bottom