What's new

The Sack of Baghdad(End of golden Age of Islam).

The Turks ruled In Iran (Safawis), Turkey (3uthmani) and India (Chaghtai (of whom the Mughals were the last dynasty)). Whence my mum's family title Khaqan (Khan of Khans).

The Khan title seems to have been borrowed by the Turks from the Mongols.

Tengri is an Mongolic/Turkic word for God '' in modern Turkish, tanrı''. Tengri was called god of sky and everything under it... Thats where our two of the holiest symbols come from...

Wolf = Asena, female wolf who gave birth to Turkish nation. Also Turkic and Mongolic people believed that Tengri would take wolfs shape when it came down to earth.

Cresendant = Comes from Turkic worship of Tengri, by worshiping sun, moon and stars (praticly worshiping of sky)

Very fascinating ... are some of these ancient religious practices still surviving amongst the Turks?

Incidentally, the Mongols are now a Buddhist nation.

I think they brought cultures of Iranians in the sub-continent instead of their own Turkic or Mongol culture. They made Persian as their court language and Urdu to major extent and Hindi to lesser extent has mainly Persian loanwords instead of Turkish language. Our Hindustani music was also influenced by Persian Music and food culture was also influenced by that of Iran. But I think Sufi traditions are Turkic in nature.
The leaders were Turkic and few, the masses were Persian and many. Also, Lower-Central-Asia's language was Persian even if it were Turks speaking it. It was a trade language, and therefore simple, and spread over vast areas.

The Khan title seems to have been borrowed by the Turks from the Mongols.
Very fascinating ... are some of these ancient religious practices still surviving amongst the Turks?
Incidentally, the Mongols are now a Buddhist nation.
Turks and Mongols, one from the other.

We're not talking about Turks of Turkey, who're Turk/Mongol settlers who married into Romans, but Turks from their source lands in Turan in Central Asia, who pushed downwards probably because of climactic changes.

Turks and Mongols, one from the other.

We're not talking about Turks of Turkey, who're Turk/Mongol settlers who married into Romans, but Turks from their source lands in Turan in Central Asia, who pushed downwards probably because of climactic changes.

Didn't know this. Thanks for sharing.

Where are the turks of CA settled mostly now?

Had always wondered how the turks are present in the western corners of China & western Afghanistan? They are originally from these parts of the world?? Had also always wondered why most of the turks of present day Turkey had some mongoloid (or far east asian, if it offends somebody) features..

And how the turks of present day Turkey relates to their long lost relatives???

Let us not forget the Second and more horrifying sack of Baghdad by WCC through the "US Army of Israel." That quote is from the speech of the Israeli ambassador to UN just after the invasion. It was removed from records/media immediately after his speech.

That quote is from the speech of the Israeli ambassador to UN just after the invasion. It was removed from records/media immediately after his speech.

Then how did you know about it..? Were you present in the UNGA ?

The Mughals were Uzbek Turks, not Mongols.

They were actually Turko-Mongols as Babur derived his ancestory from both sides.

Mostly in Central Asia only...in the various -stans (except Tajikistan which is Persian and not Turkic), Azerbaijan and Turkestan in China.

Had always wondered how the turks are present in the western corners of China & western Afghanistan? They are originally from these parts of the world?? Had also always wondered why most of the turks of present day Turkey had some mongoloid (or far east asian, if it offends somebody) features..

The original homelands of the Turks was the Altai mountains, roughly at the cross roads of modern day China,Mongolia and Kazakhstan. Same as that for the Mongols. That is why the Mongol features in the Turks of Central Asia. The Kyrgyz and the Uighurs can be said as the closest to the original Turks from these mountains.

The Turks of modern day Turkey are just turkified Anatolians..and that is why their Caucasian features.

you are forgetting the Mughals, and the mughals were Muslims (mughal is persian for mongol)
Mughul/mughol (مغول) is Persian for Mongol.

The Mughals were Uzbek Turks, not Mongols.
They're related.

I'll give you a linguistic example: in Mongolia the camp of the nomads is called urdu,and the Dilli cantonment (military camp+supporting civilian trade structure) was called Urdu Bazaar! Army today is called Urdu in much of central asia including Afghanistan, and the word came into English as Horde (remember Mongol Hordes or Hordes of Ghengiz Khan)!

Didn't know this. Thanks for sharing.

Bhairava has given a good reply in the meantime, so I don't need to!

However, I'll just add that what is western China now used to be called the Mughual Kingdom (a parallel Mughal dynasty to our own Mughal dynasty) in the very large Tarim Basin region, and in the last century China occupied it and Russia occupied the rest of Turan and part of Persia. That explains you Xinjang's problem.

It came in to English via the Greek Ordu
It entered all European languages I know of. It is very much an living word today in the Turkish language. The Turks call the army Ördü, hence the name of the long road that runs along Istanbül.

I'm sure you do know (and I deliberately left this out earlier) that's also the etymology of the name the Urdu language bears.

They were actually Turko-Mongols as Babur derived his ancestory from both sides.

True ... but the original homeland of the Mongols is Buddhist.

It seems Halaku Khan's rage against Islam was partly because of the the influence of his Christian wife.

True ... but the original homeland of the Mongols is Buddhist.

It seems Halaku Khan's rage against Islam was partly because of the the influence of his Christian wife.

They were actually Tengri'ist before a part of them became Lamaist buddhists.

In 1258 Baghdad fell and it was the end of the Abassid Dynasty. After this a smaller caliphate came to be and many Islamic states came to be. It wasn't a united state like in Ummayad times or Umar, Usman and Ali's time when the states borders spread from North Africa to Pakistan

The mongols were budhists when they launched their invasion but they converted later. May I suggest medieval 2: total war. Beautiful game for history lovers. Though most of it is european history... don't like the way so little attention has been given to the east... how about adding a Khwarezmian (Persian empire) fools... but it was a good game nonetheless

Back
Top Bottom