What's new

The Norden Bombsight

VCheng

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Circular Error Probable (CEP) of 75 feet...that was really some thing back then!

I always have this opinion that pilots back then, had so much to feel in air combat and gunnery/bombing missions...the technology of today has made their work easy but the joys of combat flying have some what gone. All they have now is good quality footage (collected from EO sensors) in mission debrief to cheer about!

Thank you sharing!

Circular Error Probable (CEP) of 75 feet...that was really some thing back then!

I always have this opinion that pilots back then, had so much to feel in air combat and gunnery/bombing missions...the technology of today has made their work easy but the joys of combat flying have some what gone. All they have now is good quality footage (collected from EO sensors) in mission debrief to cheer about!

Thank you sharing!

Such historical pieces are a reminder of General Patton's famous saying "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war" since many of the technological advances that help immensely during war are often created and perfected in peacetime. Think of the all that went into creating this bombsight before its use in WW2.

You are correct in saying that advances have changed the nature of the combat flying experience, but then again Heraclitus said it best over two thousand years ago:"Change is the only constant".

Thank you sharing!

Well advancement intechnology has its own drawbacks in a way, now pilots have to train for years mastering new complex technology and read bulky manuals before being able to fly their planes, secondly the new gen planes probably have reduced the flying tensions as most of flying is now controlled by computers, but an equal advancement in anti aircraft armamant has made combat even more difficult and high speeds at which todays jets fly put a lot more pressure on their bodies in the form of G foces.

Such historical pieces are a reminder of General Patton's famous saying "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war" since many of the technological advances that help immensely during war are often created and perfected in peacetime. Think of the all that went into creating this bombsight before its use in WW2.

You are correct in saying that advances have changed the nature of the combat flying experience, but then again Heraclitus said it best over two thousand years ago:"Change is the only constant".

Yeah---the next change should be for you in Think Tank.

Yeah---the next change should be for you in Think Tank.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" - Rhett Butler

Muse and Chogy have left too for good reasons it seems. It is only a matter of time ..... :D

PKKH is an official associate, and the same dark forces hold the leash here too. ;)

Back
Top Bottom