What's new

The Holy Grail for foodies – Burns Road Karachi

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Holy Grail for foodies – Burns Road Karachi

Then he comes back and asks in a solicitous whisper if I am enjoying myself. With such courtliness, how could I not?

This Michelin star service was not at an exorbitantly priced restaurant. No, the setting of this delightful exchange was Waheed Nihari at Karachi Burns Road a.k.a. food paradise. Ernest Hemingway called Paris a moveable feast – in the same vein, Karachi is an immovable feast and Burns Road the location.

The food capital of Pakistan is reputed to be Lahore.

I beg to differ.

Lahore has her temptations but Karachi place in gastronomic heaven is firm with her culinary repertoire running the gamut from Paye to pizza and ravioli to Rabri.

To enlighten those who have not embarked on the food pilgrimage or have gone outside their comfort zone, Burns Road is a street in the heart of the old part of Karachi and is famous for its traditional (read mouth-watering) food items such as Nihari, Haleem, Kebabs, fried fish and desserts such as Rabri and traditional drinks such as Lassi.

If you take the road from the Urdu Bazaar and turn to the traffic light at the far end, you’ll enter the Holy Grail for foodies. During the day the road looks like any other main road with buses spewing smoke and pedestrians choking the sidewalks. But come night and the street metamorphoses into a cornucopia of savoury and sweet, awash in garish neon signs advertising the delectable offerings of each eating place.

1.jpg

Come night and the street metamorphoses into a cornucopia of savoury and sweet, awash in garish neon signs advertising the delectable offerings of each eating place. PHOTO: SIBTAIN NAQVI
It is serious eating here, with no fancy presentations or garnishes, just honest, good food that lures the eater into a bacchanal of gluttony. My first experience was no light hearted affair but a complete immersion in the victuals on offer.

While perusing the various places, even the most casual observer will notice the predominance of restaurants that hark back to the city of Delhi. You can hear the echoes of Chandi Chawk and Nizammuddin and, in fact, I found more than a passing resemblance between a Nihari place here and the famous Karim restaurant in Delhi.

According to senior denizens of the area, many people who migrated from Delhi to Karachi preferred to live on Burns Road.

In the 1950s, the newly migrated people were looking for dishes that were famous in Delhi and the shopkeepers of that time not only adapted the names and reproduced recipes of Delhi traditional fare but also decided to include the name Delhi while naming their shops to conjure an effect, said Abbas Raza, an elderly resident of Burns Road.

Before partition, Rizwan grandfather was running a sweets shop near Jama Masjid Delhi and today he owns an establishment that is now known as Delhi Darbar Sweets. Many shops, including Rizwan, that opened in the late 1950s and early 1960s are still going strong and it is a testament to their popularity that even at four in the morning I have to get past a traffic jam to get some Nihari for my Sehri in Ramzan.

2.jpg

Waheed Nihari is probably the best known place and one bite of the hot, gelatinous concoction will make it clear why it is so. Perhaps the cleanliness of the floor might deter some, but do not be alarmed since the plates are incontestably clean. The ambiance resonates with that of the fictional Weatherbury Inn from Thomas Hardy Far From the Madding Crowd, where the drinking cups are described in much the same vein. The rough hewn patrons mix happily with the affluent who are here partly because of nostalgia of student days but mostly drawn in by the siren call of the Nihari and the butter fried Kebabs.

Opposite Waheed are two of the many gems in this treasure house, namely the Gulab Jamun maker and the fried fish seller. Names are withheld at their request but even I felt that the hot, deep fried treats should really be kept a secret.

You can choose your fish and have it cut any way you desire. A slow dip in the searing oil, a sound of frying that's music to my stomach, a squeeze of lemon, a pinch of spices and you will have your taste buds dancing in no time. The fish is fresh from the morning catch and the taste is enough to make the English swear off their bland version.

3.jpg

If Nihari or fish is not your thing then perhaps you will opt for the other import from across the border, Haleem.

Mazedar Haleem, the city most famous Haleem seller, is head quartered here, as is Karachi Haleem. These people are no mere mortals but magicians who take the humble pulses, toss in a bit of meat and some spices and create a stew fit for a monarch and healthy to boot.

Haleem was probably created to debunk the theory that anything hedonistic is bad for your health. You can even get it canned to send to your loved ones abroad or store it as rations for nuclear fallout. Even being encased in a lead bunker isn’t so bad if the canned supplies last so I usually have a few pounds of canned stuff lying around the house.

Moving from the Delhi foodstuffs you come to the relative newcomer from the north, the Sajji.

The meat, usually chicken or mutton, is minimally spiced and slowly cooked over a fire, then cut up and sprinkled with masala and lemon juice. Agha Sajji House and Al-Sajjad Sajji are two prominent places. The roaring fires and meat laden spits do whet your appetite and the droves of people munching away prove it to be so.

4.jpg

Burns Road caters to a variety of tastes, so capricious epicures need not worry. If snacks are what you are looking for then look no further than Fresco Sweets, famous for its Dahi Phulki which balances sweet and tart perfectly and the Phulkis seemingly made out of sunbeams and angel mist so light that they can almost be inhaled in but with a burst of flavour that hits you and keeps lulling away long after you have had your fill.

Burns Road is also host to some of the city famous sweet places too. Delhi Rabri House proves that Nihari and Haleem are not the only things the Delhites were adept at, for the Rabri here is sinfully good.

Kulfi, ice cream, Faluda, and sweet milk are all on offer and awfully good too, but it the Rabri that brings in the customers. I was told that the maker has been making the same creamy stuff for over thirty years with no intention of stopping soon.

Amen to that!

5.jpg

After sampling Karhai, Nihari, Sajji or Haleem many want to pass over the rich desserts and move on to something refreshing to wash down the good stuff. The Punjab Lassi House has been doing that for over a quarter of a century. The Lassi slips down your throat, singing the songs of the Punjab and erasing the after effects of spicy food.

6.jpg

In summer, it is a godsend and banishes the heat demons just as effectively. Sweet, salty or churned with a crumbling Perha sweetmeat, the Lassi here is the benchmark for the rest, the highpoint of any dairy drink.

Burns Road position as the dowager empress of the food world is firmly entrenched. There are other places in different parts of Karachi and the country which have great food and firm clientele. But if there is one spot that throws down the gauntlet and stands apart, it this magical street of sumptuous, succulent treats.

Fish-Fry-at-Burns-Road-karachi.jpg

Fish Fry at Burns Road karachi

sddefault.jpg

burns-road-1024x689.jpg

11947162983_d9c7db5db1_b.jpg

the-burns-road-is-the-famous-food-street-of-karachi-where-different-picture-id185722931

8f41ee6ac297ba1ab883b6db7d6d2f57.jpg

blog7.jpg

7-Biryani-Karachi-10-Food-Centre-1.jpeg

burns-road.jpg

Malik Ki Nehari - Burns Road - Karachi

images

544e0e0bca254.jpg

Safarnamay
Mahvish Ahmed

Keep Calm and Eat Karachi – Burns Road Food Tour

You can’t really say you like being Christopher Columbus if you don’t venture out into exploring and discovering your own city. So I decided to get acquainted with my love, Karachi, a little more. This city, known as the ‘most dangerous city’ and one of the ‘deadliest megacities’ by the rest of the world, is also the city of lights, the city of many languages, the city of many ethnicities, the city of vibrant people, the city of apartment buildings, the city of a colonial past, the city by the Arabian Sea and the city of AMAZING food. Though Lahore is more famous for its food and Punjabis for their appetite, Karachi is arguably the best city in Pakistan if you want to indulge in great desi as well as international food. Karachiites, I tell you, have a more diverse food palette than anywhere else in Pakistan and they, too, love to eat!

So, to bite into Karachi a little more, me, my husband and another couple, with our respective kids, headed out to Burns (locally called Buns) Road last a few days ago – and – were mind blown. The Mr. in this couple, who happens to be one of the co-founders of The East End, helped us navigate and the Mrs. suggested what to eat from where. My husband and I grew up in Lahore so we would have been lost at Burns Road without these two. We food-hopped from one restaurant to another, trying to maximize the trip in terms of taste and variety, yet coming back with an intact stomach, which, by the end, was ready to explode. Get ready for some food ****, ‘coz this kind, yo mama will endorse.

We took along just one car because this place can be a challenge in terms of finding a parking. Better would be to take a rickshaw or your driver so you don’t tragically spend the first hour finding a parking spot. We were, however, lucky enough to find a great parking spot right in front of Malik Nihari. Also, if you go a little later, around 10:30 PM, you are more likely to find a good, convenient parking space. Nevertheless, be ready for some walking and please, don’t wear heels.

TIP # 1: Take along a dupatta (if you’re a female of course) to blend in a little more.

We started with ordering a plate of haleem from Karachi Haleem and 2 naans. The waiter brought us our hot plate of haleem, sprinkled some chaat masala, some fried and dried onions and then squeezed a lemon on top. It was fun watching him do his Master Chef moves. And then, we digged in – and ufff – kya baat thi haleem ki. It makes my mouth water while I write this. The mirchi made us buy two 7Ups too. The cost of this haleem plate was Rs.80.

Mana Lo Haleem ka Love

The next thing we tried was a plate of kata kat from Agha Sajji House. Initially, I felt kind of averse to tasting the kata kat as I am not a fan of eating ‘various parts’ of animals but when the sizzling hot plate came in front of me, I just had to give it a try. It turned out to be better tasting than MANY of the Pakistani dishes I have had over my 32-year lifespan. The fragrant steam hissing off the hot plate perfumed the air. The green chilies cut into small pieces and mixed with the kata kat were conspicuously standing out and giving an extra kick of spice, which I love in desi food. The whole ambiance was amazing – the sound of kata kat being cooked in the background, the cook throwing in ingredients like a boss, the smoke of the food being cooked live, the chickens partying around a bonfire, the ghubaaray waley ke naarey, the paan walay ki peek, the bachon ka shor – it was all so typical Karachi – I love the halla gulla of the busy city and if you want to experience the real Karachi food scene, believe you me, you don’t get that at Zamazama or Shahbaz Commercial.

Chicken Party

And Karachi lives...

The plate of Kata Kat cost us Rs.560, a bit more expensive because we also added chaanpein.

Kata Kat Plate

Garam garam naan

TIP # 2: If you take your kids along and as a rule don’t give them fizzy drinks like me, then do take their water bottle from home – the glasses given at the dhabas/restaurants aren’t the most clean-looking. They probably just get a dip in the water and never get soaped.

Although we were already in the initial stages of food coma, we headed toMalik Nihari, where we again shared one plate of nihari with one naan and one sheermaal. Of course, the consumption of more drinks was made necessary by the super spicy, super oily but super yummy nihari. The family section is on the first floor, which gives you a bird’s eye view of what stages the nihari goes through before coming to serve your taste buds in a plate. I don’t know if watching the whole process from the top was good or bad – but looking at the deychka of oil that was being used as garnish sure did give my eyes a cardiac arrest. But once the nihari landed in my mouth, my brain selectively chose to delete the unpleasant memories. That was one amazing plate of nihari. Who wants those bland old pastas and pizzas when one can be on a pure-nihari diet? The bill was Rs. 250, including two drinks. Oh Em Gee. Yes.

TIP # 3: Keep hand sanitizer with you – the tissues they serve are kind of like butter paper and don’t really do a good job with wiping off all that oil from your fingers.

We had resolved to taste many more famous items of Burns road, but by the end of the nihari episode, we were close to death-by-food. So, being good kids, we promised to stop AFTER having the Babu Bhai ke Bun Kabab. And what a good decision that was. Now I know why they are so famous. We ordered just two and decided to share. The mirchi level was pretty high so now it was time to bring our sweet taste buds into action. We dived into a plate of rabri from Delhi Rabri House. Each bun kabab cost us Rs.30 (yeah, that’s crazy) and the plate of rabri was for Rs.35 (also crazy). Therabri plate can easily be shared by 4 people because it’s a sugary shock that can cause diabetes but it’s really, really good.

Worker-prepares-bun-kebabs-at-Super-Nursery-Bun-Kebab-I.jpg

Construction of a bun kabab

BzC98RHIYAA61pH.jpg

Babu Bhai

13016531_10154203875267148_1785554064_o.jpg

13180866_10154206176854914_561780864_n.jpg

TIP # 4: Take lots of khulla with you. You might be refused service if you don't have change.

I found so many other intriguing theylas that we didn’t do business with but are worth mentioning – the mitti ke bartan wala, the rangeen soda wala, the gol gappaey and chaat wala, the kulfi wala – They were all contributing to give ‘Buns Road’ its character, colour and identity.

Meethi Tikya

13016602_10154203874042148_715255534_o.jpg

Rangeen Soda

It was time to head back because our stomachs were desperately begging for a (long) break laikin, jab zaalim nazar gulaab jaman ko dekh le, to kahan maanti hai. SO, I shared a single gulaab jaman with my husband and daughter. One sheeray wala gulaab jaaman was for Rs. 20.

-picture-id661583774

TIP # 5: When you order each time, order just a single plate of the dish you're eating so there’s space in your stomach to try out more types of items.

Delhi-Rabri-House-at-burns-Road-karachi.jpg

33711579625_e3c96e16b7_m.jpg

Last edited:
Was that the end of our food tour? Of course not! What kind of a desi food saga ends without a meetha paan? So, after one meetha paan each which aided our digestion, we came back home for a piping hot cup of tea, totally regretting not having the dhabay wali chai from Burns road.

Chalo, Agli baar.

6ba2d-unaatitled.png

Choona Kattha

Rangon ka shor aur pachaas ka note

Paan khao gay paan?

Tip # 6: Bribe your kids with the prospects of getting a ghubaara before going home to make them act like sane human beings during your food tour.

Total Cost of the food: Rs.1300 approx including naans, drinks and paans

Number of Stomachs entertained: 4 adults and 2 kids

No. of drinks gulped down in total : 6 + 1 litre of water + 4 cups of tea

No. of kgs put on in weight: a million and a half

Overall experience: 10/10

Would I do this again? Yes, totally, I shall be a regular feature of Burns Road

Moral of the Story: Next weekend, when you want to chow down some real food like a champ, go to Burns Road, eat what Karachi is really made of and fall in love with your city all over again. Wo Karachiite hi kya, jo Burns Road ka Food Connoisseur na ho!

Last edited:

FRESCO.jpg

FRESCO kay Dahi Baray: Going through Burns Road one just cant ignore the big FRESCO bakery. The dahi baray their are amazing,arabian paratha and their samosays are also liked by many.

Dilbahar_Lassi.jpg

Dilbahar lassi: Lassi is a treat for desis just like ice cream is for westerns. You should try Dilbahar Lassi in Burns road to get the best taste.

Dhoraji_Gola.jpg

Dohrajee ka Golaganda: The infamous Golaganda embellished with condense milk, pineapple, chocolate and nuts, is something you can only find in Dohrajee.

Zahid_Kay_Kabab.jpg

Burns road (Waheed Kabab House): Burns road is famous for its flavorsome food street but for the most roaring food business one can blindly go Waheed Kabab House, the fry Kebab and Bihari Kabab of this place is famous for its delicacy.

Back
Top Bottom