What's new

Sri Lanka in the top list of binge drinking

Gibbs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The world’s boozing habits revealed. There are some surprises.

Interesting facts

bingedrinking3.jpg

Strange Fact: Living on an island appears to exacerbate one’s tendency to drink. The Cook Islands, Samoa, Ireland and Sri Lanka are all near the top. Stranger Fact: If you’re Zambian, you’re probably drunk at least once per week — and in very good company. Strangest Fact: Pakistan, despite the fact that it’s a Muslim country, has a pretty sizable drinking problem. The penalty if you’re caught is 80 lashes, but the punishment is rarely enforced, and alcohol addiction clinics are flourishing.

drinktypes2C.jpg

@Gibbs

As a Keralite, I feel your pain.

Any social aspects to this story, how did this origninate and the impacts if you don't mind. :)

lol, what?

Majority of Pakistanis won't even know what 'binge drinking' is? And Pakistan is more alcoholic than U.S.A? o_O

This is such a bullshit survey.

No no saar, that is not how forward thinking nation must be. We need to be Number One in everything.

Hmmm ... good point. This actually shows how backward India really is. We need to promote the drinking culture of Kerala and drug culture of punjab to make it as No. 1. Bengal's contribution will be their liberal sonagachi.

But we are No. 1 in media reporting of Rape. So things are not all that bad.

@Gibbs

Any social aspects to this story, how did this origninate and the impacts if you don't mind. :)

Well i guess Lanka always had a "drinking culture" so to speak , Something that is not found widely in South Asian communities Except in Kerala as you suggest (Another similarity).. So it does not have a extraordinary huge impact on the society as such except for the obvious health issues.. May be because of the islander attitude as the survey suggest's

Almost any family gathering, party wedding invariably accompany alcohol, Booze is served openly even at sports events, Any Indian Cricket fan fortunate to attend a game there can attest to that.. The motto around there is "Win or loose, We booze"..

There have been campaigns by the religious right to bring in certain forms of Law to contain drinking but never works on the ground because drinking seem to be a social fabric of all Sri Lankans to a degree

Is alcohol cheap in Sri Lanka ?

Local Beer and the local spirit Arrack is.. Foreign liquor is not.. Mods with your permission ??

IMG_0195.jpg

rockland600.jpg

Last edited:
there is nothing wrong with drinking...Alcohol is a part of Sri Lankan culture anyway

But binge drinking would be..But as you say it's a cultural thing, for many in the West and countries like Lanka it's social norm but for many people in the more conservative sub continent it's a vice

lol, what?

Majority of Pakistanis won't even know what 'binge drinking' is? And Pakistan is more alcoholic than U.S.A? o_O

This is such a bullshit survey.

Come on buddy. Despite all your government restrictions do you really think that liquor market doesn't have any space in your country? In a place like Saudi and UAE where there is an islamic law implemented, alcohol flows freely for those who know how to get it.

Here in India, alcohol is heavily taxed and very expensive compared to western and even southeast Asian countries. But do you think that people don't drink much? On the contrary, alcoholism has increased almost three times in since last few years. Black market, shady businesses etc all fuel the supply.

I was surprised how we Indians are not on the top list.

In fact, if they legalize alcohol and reduce taxes, it will make people consume less in long term because people will get bored and smuggling will stop.

But binge drinking would be..But as you say it's a cultural thing, for many in the West and countries like Lanka it's social norm but for many people in the more conservative sub continent it's a vice

The attitude is also a part of the problem.

In Kerala, people with money, and no employment (remittance culture) is part of the equation.

Banning Alcohol would probably help feed a Criminal network of bootleggers.

Come on buddy. Despite all your government restrictions do you really think that liquor market doesn't have any space in your country? In a place like Saudi and UAE where there is an islamic law implemented, alcohol flows freely for those who know how to get it.

Here in India, alcohol is heavily taxed and very expensive compared to western and even southeast Asian countries. But do you think that people don't drink much? On the contrary, alcoholism has increased almost three times in since last few years. Black market, shady businesses etc all fuel the supply.

I was surprised how we Indians are not on the top list.

In fact, if they legalize alcohol and reduce taxes, it will make people consume less in long term because people will get bored and smuggling will stop.

The prohibition leads to people to abuse illegal substances like moonshine and country liqueur, Which is more dangerous and leads to death.. I've read somewhere that in India it's quite common for mass deaths by alcohol poisoning due to moonshine

The attitude is also a part of the problem.

In Kerala, people with money, and no employment (remittance culture) is part of the equation.

Banning Alcohol would probably help feed a Criminal network of bootleggers.

Exactly.. Which leads to even bigger issues

@Gibbs

I think we are reading the stats wrong.

Say in SriLanka, 10 people drink, out of those 10, 8 are binge drinkers, that means 80% of Srilankans who drink, binge. And now say in Australia, 100 people drink, out of that 100, 40 are binge drinkers, that means 40% of Australians who drink binge.

Which country would you say has a drinking problem?

Back
Top Bottom