What's new

Say Cheese! Russia Snaps Photos of Top Secret US Spysats

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Washington has become extremely paranoid about a series of rare images of its Lacrosse spy satellites (# 2,3,4 and 5), which were recently released by Russia.

The US is trying to find a reason why Russia has disclosed its images of secret Lacrosse US spy satellites.

It is busy guessing what the actual reason behind the disclosure is; while it continues to think it might be a way for Russia to challenge what the US sees as its “space advantage”, a more likely answer comes from Germany: it’s simply a way “to show that Moscow is aware”.

1021553987.jpg

© PHOTO: NPK-SPP.RU
Altai optical-laser center

Former CIA analyst Allen Thomson has compiled and analyzed the shots captured by Russia’s Altay Optical Laser center somewhat between 2005 and 2010.

The existence of the Lacrosse terrestrial radar imaging reconnaissance satellites, operated by the US National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), was not officially confirmed for a long time, its existence was declassified only in 2008.

Lacrosse satellites use synthetic aperture radar as their prime imaging instrument. It is able to see through cloud cover and its gaze also has some ability to penetrate soil.

The name Lacrosse is used to refer to all of these orbital spycraft, while there is another name, Onyx, which is sometimes used to refer to the three newer units.

Five Lacrosse spacecraft have been launched, and three are currently in orbit.
1021553156.jpg

© FAS.ORG
US spy satellite

“The [released] images contain enough information (range, angular scale) to perform a bit of technical intelligence (i.e., sophomore high school trigonometry) on the radar antenna size, which is a significant parameter affecting capability,” Thomson said, as quoted by the US media.

“Why did the Russians release the images? The US is highly paranoid about releasing resolved images of spysats, ours or others. The Russian paranoia is at least as great, so how did these images get out? What was the purpose?” Thomson questions.

“The images themselves seem to be mostly just a curiosity,” he supposed. “But perhaps they underscore the growing visibility and the corresponding vulnerability of US space-based assets.”

Then Thomson however supposed that it might be a way “to respond to our [their] space advantage”, citing Gil Klinger, a defense intelligence official, who testified at a 2014 House Armed Services Committee hearing on US national security space activities.

Klinger then said that the US asymmetrical advantage in space "also creates asymmetrical vulnerabilities”.

The answer came from the German news site Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten, which supposed that it is a way to show that “Moscow always knows what the US is up to”.

Read more: Say Cheese! Russia Snaps Photos of Top Secret US Spysats / Sputnik International

lol, nothing new, even Taliban know when to dodge the US satellite going over their head.

You do know you can calculate the orbit time for a specific satellite if you know what you are looking for.

lol, nothing new, even Taliban know when to dodge the US satellite going over their head.

You do know you can calculate the orbit time for a specific satellite if you know what you are looking for.

If it's easy then bring back a picture of a Russian or Chinese spy satellite.

If it's easy then bring back a picture of a Russian or Chinese spy satellite.

Sigh....

The question is not whether or not we could, but why we need to show you??

Spy Satellite is an overt surveillance, you know their existence even before you publish any photo (Unless you really think if we cannot show you photo of a Russian Satellite, then Russian Spy Satellite does not exist :)) , so what is the point "Outting" any spy satellite?

Look at this video, the scientist team that the article mentions talk about the Larcross 5 and a Russian Cosmos Spy Satallite

Spy Satellite's Mysterious On-Orbit Fade and a 1981 Spent Booster

The US have declassified all Satellite information back in 2008 This is a complete chart of US launch Spy satellite

Spy Radar Satellites Declassified | DoD Buzz

U_S__RecSat_Big_Picture.jpg

they are orbiting 200 mile above earth, you can go get a telescope that can see that far, set your range to 200-250 mile, wait 24 hours, then match any satellite that orbit across your telescope with the chart above, and you can "Out" US satellite too.

If you don't want to wait for 24 hours, you can buy a plane ticket to the US and go the the US Air and Space museum, there you can see or touch any US Spy satellite for real.

Look, I ousted an Larcrosse Satellite, and not some blurry imagine like in those Russian team...

NRO_Lacrosse.jpg

Is this something we should be overjoy?? Discover something we know it existence and we know how it looks like, at work, in space?? I guess Sputnik see this is some kind of a news? Must be slow news days overthere

Last edited:
Sigh....

The question is not whether or not we could, but why we need to show you??

Spy Satellite is an overt surveillance, you know their existence even before you publish any photo (Unless you really think if we cannot show you photo of a Russian Satellite, then Russian Spy Satellite does not exist :)) , so what is the point "Outting" any spy satellite?

No one reveals that they are launching spy satellites, they are always labeled as a communications or weather satellites and its very difficult if not impossible to know which satellites are legitimate weather and communications satellites and which ones are spy satellites.

Look at this video, the scientist team that the article mentions talk about the Larcross 5 and a Russian Cosmos Spy Satallite

Spy Satellite's Mysterious On-Orbit Fade and a 1981 Spent Booster

The US have declassified all Satellite information back in 2008 This is a complete chart of US launch Spy satellite

Spy Radar Satellites Declassified | DoD Buzz

If true, someone(s) are not that wise.

View attachment 218228

they are orbiting 200 mile above earth, you can go get a telescope that can see that far, set your range to 200-250 mile, wait 24 hours, then match any satellite that orbit across your telescope with the chart above, and you can "Out" US satellite too.

If you don't want to wait for 24 hours, you can buy a plane ticket to the US and go the the US Air and Space museum, there you can see or touch any US Spy satellite for real.

Look, I ousted an Larcrosse Satellite, and not some blurry imagine like in those Russian team...

:rolleyes1: Have you ever used a telescope? It took me about 10 or 15 minutes to find jupiter even though i could clearly see it with my own eyes even when i got good at it and i had a range finder it would still take at least a few minutes. Even the moon takes a few minutes to get into a field of view but you are claiming that someone can spot a tiny satellite traveling at 17,000mph with a telescope---no, even an electronic telescope that automatically finds exact coordinates would not pick up a satellite because a telescope would need to keep being pointed at the satellite. This is only possible with a camera looking through a correct eyes piece, and even then it is complete luck, it may take many tries before any satellite is capture on film and even then it may be blurry because the you don't have time to change out an eyes piece or adjust magnification. Some experienced amateurs have been able to spot satellites but they have the right equipment, usually extremely expensive equipment. And that is of know satellites, obviously most countries to not reveal that they have a spy satellite about to be launched into orbit.

No one reveals that they are launching spy satellites, they are always labeled as a communications or weather satellites and its very difficult if not impossible to know which satellites are legitimate weather and communications satellites and which ones are spy satellites.

umm....no.

Russia launches spy satellite for Egypt

Spaceflight Now | Breaking News | Russian spy satellite launched by Soyuz rocket

Chinese military spy satellite deployed in orbit | Spaceflight Now

As I said, maybe it was classified back in the 60s, 70s or 80s, most of the satellite launch now are not. the US have a specific department controlling spy satellite the National Reconnaissance Office in charge of all Spy Satellite. And they launch their satellite in a specific location (Vandenberg Air Force Base) while other commercial and military satellite were launch in a different pad (Commercial Launch would be in Private pad, Commercial/Government Launch using Military equipment will be using Kennedy Space centre)

And you can literally separate Communication Satellite and Weather Satellite to spy satellite.

Both Communication and Weather Satellite are Geostationary, which mean the orbit speed is the same as the earth rotation (Angular Velocity) and Spy satellite is a Geospatial, meaning they run quicker then the earth spin.

Also, Weather Satellite usually positioned in Polar Orbiting and Communication Satellite is higher than Spy Satellite (Spy satellite usually between 400 - 700 Km orbit, while communication is Low to Medium Orbit, which mean they are form 400 -1500km

There are tons of information about satellite in the internet, suggest you read some before comment on Satellite.

If true, someone(s) are not that wise.

No, why would you classifies satellite now for that satellite technology is so common that even private company can launch one into the space?

In the 60s, 70s and 80s, yeah, I see the point why we need to classify the SPYSAT technology, not many people know its existence, let alone people who actually know how it work.

Today, there are estimated about 4,000 man made object in or orbit, Microsoft, Google have their own satellite, we know there are satellite that orbit above us any given minute, the coverage is too much meaning you can have 24/7 Satellite surveillance, there are no point to hide them anymore, in fact, space is the last place in this universe you can hide stuff from other country, space is empty and all man made object are monitored by both the US and Russia, there are no where you can hide a satellite in space, so why classify it in the first place??

:rolleyes1: Have you ever used a telescope? It took me about 10 or 15 minutes to find jupiter even though i could clearly see it with my own eyes even when i got good at it and i had a range finder it would still take at least a few minutes. Even the moon takes a few minutes to get into a field of view but you are claiming that someone can spot a tiny satellite traveling at 17,000mph with a telescope---no even an electronic telescope that automatically finds exact coordinates would not pick up a satellite. This is only possible with a camera looking through a correct eyes piece, and even then it is complete luck, it may take many tries before any satellite is capture on film and even then it may be blurry because the you don't have time to change out an eyes piece or adjust magnification. Some experienced amateurs have been able to spot satellites but they have the right equipment, usually extremely expensive equipment.

I did know how to use a telescope, and that's why I said it's easy to spot "If You know what you are doing" in fact, most LEO sat is hard to spot with telescope, because it ran over quickly, what you need is to spot it with your naked eyes first, then set your telescope on that path.

The US have already declassified the information of all Geospatial Intelligence Satellite, you can join one of the amateur hobbyist group to try and find US satellite

Amateur astronomer spies on spy satellites - Bad Astronomy : Bad Astronomy

I am no expert on satellite spotting, but if you want any answer, you can contact one of those Satellite watch hobby group

Back
Top Bottom