What's new

Saraswat: Agni-V will be test-fired in 2011

while I agree that international opinion is vital for us........however when faced with a rapidly rising adversary on our eastern flank....with absolutely no qualms about military modernisation ....and with a military power which considerably exceeds ours we should not forsake our national interest.....and now considering our relationship with the west( I credit Indian diplomacy for this) even if we overtly increase our missile ranges ....hardly any nation in Europe or North America would consider our actions as a threat....the trust they evidently have for us as a responsible regional power is quite large......:cheers:
partly agree with you.

All the fruits that you are getting now is a result of non-allignment and non aggressive policy of us. If you develope one now, then you are actually nullyfying what you have said and proposed when we didnt sign MTCR, CTBT and while sigining Nuke deal.

This is not a good idea now, we need an ICBM but thats 20 yrs away.

I do not quite agree with slow and steady win the race. That's a child time story.
We didnt develope an ICBM then and we are not developing an ICBM now.
We were never in a Nuke race with you.

and that will tell you we are actually not afraid of you, dont go by our media.:)

We didnt develope an ICBM then and we are not developing an ICBM now.
We were never in a Nuke race with you.

and that will tell you we are actually not afraid of you, dont go by our media.:)

I agreed with you but not other Indian members.

i think the minimum range is 5000,the maximum is upto 6500,but i dont think it is an ICBM,it is only a long range IRBM

meanwhile even Agni-3 can cover the entire China,why should we need an ICBM

i think the minimum range is 5000,the maximum is upto 6500,but i dont think it is an ICBM,it is only a long range IRBM

meanwhile even Agni-3 can cover the entire China,why should we need an ICBM
Yes an ICBM is actually over 5500 Kms....

Well, that's a American president saying...... They can put both into uses.

What about Indian???

Can they? Or when can they?

So Can We, We have an Active space Industry , and When SLV can Give birth To Agni Series, Why not the PSLV???

So Can We, We have an Active space Industry , and When SLV can Give birth To Agni Series, Why not the PSLV???

PSLV is an ICBM itself except the reentry vehicle but its too huge and not ready at all time for sudden use. PSLV's advantages are less costs and accuracy.

Missiles like ICBM needs compact technologies, less complex handling and robustness. If we work on a PSLV based ICBM than it will not serve our all requirements like operational readiness.

I think Agni-3 is already an ICBM if official specs of 3500 km with 2490 kg have to be believed. Now we are developing Agni-5.

PSLV is an ICBM itself except the reentry vehicle but its too huge and not ready at all time for sudden use. PSLV's advantages are less costs and accuracy.

Missiles like ICBM needs compact technologies, less complex handling and robustness. If we work on a PSLV based ICBM than it will not serve our all requirements like operational readiness.

I think Agni-3 is already an ICBM if official specs of 3500 km with 2490 kg have to be believed. Now we are developing Agni-5.

Well I had already Intended while making this comment to Mr Honor

I remember President Kennedy's words once he was asked the difference between the Atlas space launch vehicle that put John Glenn into orbit and an Atlas missile aimed at the Soviet Union. He
answered with a one-word pun, “Attitude”.

How Long will it take a a PSLV to be an ICBM , especially when the SLV could Become Agni???

Hi kinetic -

Glad to see you again.

Can you please tell me Agni -3 is two stage solid and 1 stage liquid, why is this?

Hi kinetic -

Glad to see you again.

Can you please tell me Agni -3 is two stage solid and 1 stage liquid, why is this?

thanks mate. agni-3 with liquid stage? i don't think agni-3 has a liquid stage but it is a two stage solid rocket missile.

most possibly it's reentry vehicle has some kind of diverted propulsion technology but that is not considered as a 'stage'. :pop:

Look at the reentry vehicle...

agni31gh2.jpg

Last edited:
thanks mate. agni-3 with liquid stage? i don't think agni-3 has a liquid stage but it is a two stage solid rocket missile.

most possibly it's reentry vehicle has some kind of diverted propulsion technology but that is not considered as a 'stage'. :pop:

Look at the reentry vehicle...

agni31gh2.jpg
Ok My bad, I got confused btn the earlier version of Agnis.

I dont think we should presume the extended range of the Agni's because there is no way to substantiate that, its a wild guess. However, I belive, now since we have the Agni 1 - 700 km, Agni II - 2500 km, Agni III 3500 km, Agni V - 5000 km, we have come full circle. The next step in this process is to reverse engineer all these missiles, just like the impending Agni II AT. Lets keep the payload intact and reduce the actual weight of all these missiles, that will give us an additional 1000 - 1500 kms right there. I think a 1.5 ton warhead is good enough to achieve our offensive objectives. So there you are, without much debate, I would think we already have our ICBM. More , much more than the ICBM, we really need to have a 2500km SL cruise missile and 3500km to 5000km SLBM, because this is what the enemy will fear most, as it cannot predict from where these would be launced, I mean we could have our submarines firing from north of Japan, or the South China sea or somewhere between Australia and China. It very unpredictable, and even we have the same threat perception, but by having a tested weapon in hand, our deterrenec is achieved.The best part about having nuclear weapons is deterrence, once we have that our enemies can do all the sabre rattling they want, it wont matter. One Big question though, is there an Agni IV ????? (we should consider a hypothetical dialogue on this)

I don't think Anantha KM did any mistake as he is a very professional defence journo and previous HAL spokesperson but Agni-V from sea is something entirely new!!!!!

India To Test-Fire Agni-V In 2011

Sep 15, 2010

By Anantha Krishnan M.
BENGALURU, India

India’s intercontinental ballistic missile, the Agni-V, will be test-fired in 2011, the Defense Research and Development Organization’s chief says.

V.K. Saraswat tells AVIATION WEEK that the missile will be launched “anytime next year,” and that “our missile programs have reached high levels of maturity in the last 15 years with the successful launches of Prithvi, Agni and BrahMos.”

A BrahMos flight on Sept. 5 boosted the confidence of Indian missile scientists. “With the successful BrahMos launch, we achieved a major breakthrough in critical missile technology for strategic missions,” Saraswat said.

The DRDO chief’s confirmation of the Agni-V’s launch date comes two weeks after Indian Defense Minister A.K. Antony announced that the missile was being prepared for the much-awaited flight.

“The missile was developed following the denial of technology to India. The denial has only given us an opportunity to develop a 5,000-kilometer-range missile,” Antony told a recent gathering in Hyderabad. “Our scientists, working in many critical areas, have proved that India can overcome sanctions and denials. When we face denial, we should take it as a God-sent opportunity and a challenge.”

The Agni-V can be launched from multiple platforms on land and sea.

“It will be a three-stage, solid-fuel missile that will carry a conventional nuclear warhead,” a DRDO source said. “We are also developing multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicle [MIRV] warheads for Agni missiles. The advantage is that it can carry several nuclear warheads.”

India To Test-Fire Agni-V In 2011 | AVIATION WEEK

Back
Top Bottom