What's new

Safety pin: A tiny tool Indian women use to fight sexual harassment

GamoAccu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Almost every woman in India has a story of sexual harassment that took place in crowded public spaces - when someone fondled her breasts or pinched her bottom, elbowed her in the chest or rubbed himself against her.

To hit back at their predators, women used whatever they had - for instance, as college students commuting in the overcrowded buses and trams in the eastern city of Kolkata decades ago, my friends and I used our umbrellas.

Many of us also kept our nails long and sharp to scratch straying hands; others used the pointy heels of their stilettos to hit back at men who would take advantage of the crowd to press their penises into our backs.

Many others used a much more effective tool - the ubiquitous safety pin.

Since its invention in 1849, safety pins have been used by women around the world to hold different bits of clothing together, or to deal with a sudden wardrobe malfunction.

They have also been used by women globally to fight back against their harassers, even draw blood.

A few months back, several women in India took to Twitter to confess that they always carried a pin in their handbags or on their person, and that it was their weapon of choice to fight perverts in crowded spaces.

One of them - Deepika Shergill - wrote about an incident when she actually used it to draw blood. It happened on a bus she regularly took to commute to the office, Ms Shergill told the BBC. The incident took place decades ago, but she still remembered the tiniest details.

She was about 20 and her tormenter was in his mid-40s, he always wore a grey safari (a type of two-piece Indian suit popular with government workers) and open-toed sandals, and carried a rectangular leather bag.

"He would always come and stand next to me, lean over, rub his groin in my back, and fall over me each time the driver applied the brakes."

In those days, she says she was "very timid and didn't want to draw attention to myself", so she suffered in silence for months.

But one evening, when he "began masturbating and ejaculated on my shoulder", she decided it was enough.

"I felt defiled. On reaching home, I showered for a really long time. I didn't even tell my mother what had happened with me," she said.

"That night I couldn't sleep and even thought about quitting my job, but then I started thinking about revenge. I wanted to do bodily harm to him, to hurt him, to deter him from doing this to me ever again."

The next day, Ms Shergill swapped her flat shoes with stilettos and boarded the bus, armed with a safety pin.

"As soon as he came and stood next to me, I got up from my seat and crushed his toes with my heels. I heard him gasp, and felt a lot of joy. Then I used the pin to puncture his forearm and quickly exited the bus."

Although she continued to take that bus for another year, she said that was the last she saw of him.

Ms Shergill's story is shocking, but not rare.

An Indian woman boards a bus

Almost every woman in India has a story of sexual harassment that took place in crowded public transport
A colleague in her 30s narrated an incident when a man repeatedly tried to grope her on an overnight bus between the southern cities of Cochin and Bengaluru (Bangalore).

"Initially I shook him off, thinking it was accidental," she said.

But when he continued, she realised that it was deliberate - and the safety pin she had used to keep her scarf in place "saved the day".

"I pricked him and he withdrew, but he kept trying again and again and I kept trying to prick him back. Finally, he withdrew. I'm happy that I had the safety pin, but I feel silly that I didn't turn around and slap him," she says.

"But when I was younger, I was wary that people wouldn't support me if I raised an alarm," she adds.

Activists say it is this fear and shame that most women feel that emboldens molesters and makes the problem so widespread.

According to an online survey of 140 Indian cities in 2021, 56% of women reported being sexually harassed on public transport, but only 2% went to the police. A vast majority said they took action themselves or chose to ignore the situation, often moving away because they didn't want to create a scene, or were worried about escalating the situation.

More than 52% said they had turned down education and job opportunities because of "feelings of insecurity".

"Fear of sexual violence impacts women's psyche and mobility more than the actual violence," says Kalpana Viswanath, who co-founded Safetipin, a social organisation working to make public spaces safe and inclusive for women.

The women's compartment in Delhi Metro

The Delhi Metro reserves one compartment in every train for female passengers
"Women start imposing restrictions on themselves and it denies us equal citizenship with men. It has a much deeper impact on women's life than the actual act of molestation."

Ms Viswanath points out that harassment of women is not just an Indian problem, it's a global issue. A Thomson Reuters Foundation survey of 1,000 women in London, New York, Mexico City, Tokyo and Cairo showed that "transport networks were magnets for sexual predators who used rush-hour crushes to hide behaviour and as an excuse if caught".

Ms Viswanath says women in Latin America and Africa have told her that they carry safety pins too. And the Smithsonian Magazine reports that in the US, women used hatpins even in the 1900s to stab men who got too close for comfort.

But despite topping several global surveys on the scale of public harassment, India doesn't seem to recognise it as a big problem.

Ms Viswanath says that's partly because poor reporting means it doesn't get reflected in crime statistics, and because of the influence of popular cinema that teaches us that harassment is just a way of wooing women.

In the past few years though, Ms Viswanath says, things have improved in several cities.

In the capital Delhi, buses have panic buttons and CCTV cameras, more female drivers have been inducted, training sessions have been organised to sensitise drivers and conductors to be more responsive to female passengers, and marshals have been deployed on buses. Police have also launched apps and helpline numbers which women can use to seek help.

But, Ms Viswanath says, it is not always a problem of policing.

"I think the most important solution is that we have to talk more about the issue, there has to be a concerted media campaign that will drill into people what's acceptable behaviour and what's not."

Until that happens, Ms Shergill and my colleague and millions of Indian women will have to keep their safety pins handy.

Men silently assualting women in public spaces and women silently fighting back with pins. This interaction of genders is wierdest in the world.

Men silently assualting women in public spaces and women silently fighting back with pins. This interaction of genders is wierdest in the world.

A 1,000 years of islamic and christian invasion and exploitation has resulted in a society where women are taught to keep a low profile. Just so that they do not get unwanted attention.

In the recent British past, there was an order to find women to be forced into prostitution.

E_jkCeBUYAQTA_6

The order specified an urgent need to find methods to acquire many more attractive & younger Indian women as soldiers’ demands for “prostitutes” were very high & Indian women were not willing to be prostitutes.

The British soldiers were desperate for fresh flesh.

E_jkMI1VgAIOp2y

But the British didn’t just want indian sex slaves, they wanted them as attractive & young as possible, since younger women had a lower chance of being infected with STDs.

It was a clinical selection of sexual prey to minimize disease & maximize pleasure for soldiers.

E_jlK9vVIAEXv6w

Many strategies were devised to trap innocent Indian women. Policemen would observe girls & if they talked to any men, they were accused of being prostitutes. They would then be captured, taken to the Cantonment & forced to register as Chakla prostitutes.

British officers sent out Indian Sepoys to forcibly capture at least 12-15 of the best looking girls as young as 14 from every village. Once the Colonel approved them, they were forced into service & old “prostitutes” with sexual diseases were thrown out.

E_jkrvOVgAcIbWp

E_jkxwHVQAQhNPZ

Shockingly, many Anglo Indian kids born of these encounters were especially victimized. Many were raised till teenager-hood & used as fresh slaves, because of their European features.

It was the British who created their own sub class of mixed blood progeny as prostitutes.

E_jlGr3VgAUc50k

For the doubting "thomas", here is the original reference.

E_jf3t0VQAQc5b1

E_jmvGZVcAcFjtA

This which came On top of the Islamic invasion where women were sold as slaves all over arabia has defined the social attitude and that will take a few more years of "Hindutva" to change.

When the (BRITISH Indian) LAW itself targeted women and Labelled them as "prostitutes" for speaking up against injustice, this is what happens to that society.

But as usual, the blames always goes to the "Hindoos". Never to the invaders.

A 1,000 years of islamic and christian invasion and exploitation has resulted in a society where women are taught to keep a low profile. Just so that they do not get unwanted attention.

In the recent British past, there was an order to find women to be forced into prostitution.

If I understand correct, it's the fault of Brits & muzzies that sexual harassment exists in India. Where have I not seen the British being blamed for all the ills of the Bharati republic? Wait...never!

Shergill is a clan (gotra) of Jats, its parent clan is Gill.

North Indian problem

Shergill is not a gotra. And Gotra is NOT a clan.

Clearly you are not a Hindu.

If I understand correct, it's the fault of Brits & muzzies that sexual harassment exists in India. Where have I not seen the British being blamed for all the ills of the Bharati republic? Wait...never!

Predators gets bold when victims keep quite and victims keep quite due to social conditioning due to a certain historical past where women who spoke up suffered a WORSE fate.

In places where there was no direct british rule like the princely states, you find women to be more outspoken and bold and hence predators get caught and is usually thrashed by the public.

Unlike islam and christianity that condone slavery and consider women inferior (I can quote the text from the respective scriptures) , Hinduism do not teach that.

Pakistan has this same problem due to this same history and then some.

In fact the best way to check out this theory is to find out the locations of British Cantonment in India/pak/BD and you will find a "Red Light District" in that town and quite near the cantonment area.

Last edited:
I find it relevant to mention that syphilis first mention and reference in the Bhavaprakasa , a mid-sixteenth-century text, written by Bhavamisra, an ayurvedic physician at Benares.

At that time, and for a long time subsequently, syphilis was known in India as firanga roga or firangi roga, which identified it with the firangis (“Franks” or foreigners).

In India, it is likely the disease was introduced from Europe by the Portuguese in the early sixteenth century.

In many of the British principalities in 19th century India, venereal disease among British troops was a critical issue. The average annual admission of British troops to hospitals for venereal infections, predominantly syphilis and gonorrhoea, was over 200 per 1000; by 1895 this reached a whopping rate of over 500 per 1000. (50% of British in India had STD)

I find it relevant to mention that syphilis first mention and reference in the Bhavaprakasa , a mid-sixteenth-century text, written by Bhavamisra, an ayurvedic physician at Benares.

At that time, and for a long time subsequently, syphilis was known in India as firanga roga or firangi roga, which identified it with the firangis (“Franks” or foreigners).

In India, it is likely the disease was introduced from Europe by the Portuguese in the early sixteenth century.

In many of the British principalities in 19th century India, venereal disease among British troops was a critical issue. The average annual admission of British troops to hospitals for venereal infections, predominantly syphilis and gonorrhoea, was over 200 per 1000; by 1895 this reached a whopping rate of over 500 per 1000. (50% of British in India had STD)

the Brits never understood why native sepoys had a lower STD rate than Englishmen :D

the Brits never understood why native sepoys had a lower STD rate than Englishmen :D

True, among Indian soldiers, the reported incidence of venereal disease was much lower; in 1866, for example, the rates of infection for British and Indian troops were 218 and 54 per 1000 respectively.

The viciousness of syphilis seen on the more “civilized” constitution of the English thus became a crucial element in the mythology of superiority, with much medical energy expended on explaining this statistical disparity.

Here is what the famous Medical journal "Lancet" had to say on that matter,

The point made so much of, that the sepoys are more chaste, possess more self-control as regards sexual intercourse is not true. Anyone who has been any time in India, and has been observant, must have noticed crowds of sepoys visiting native prostitutes. It may possibly be found on investigation that the reason they suffer less from venereal disease than European soldiers is this: they have acquired immunity, having suffered from hereditary syphilis in youth. Indian Lancet, April 1, 1897, p. 1.

If you thought that as preposterous, the British went on to claim that diseases caught in the tropics were more ravaging than those acquired in the “gentler” climates of northern Europe. :D

In a 1905 memorandum, Lord Kitchener, Commander-in-chief of the Indian Army, warned his troops:

“Syphilis contracted by Europeans from Asiatic women is much more severe than that contracted in England. It assumes a horrible, loathsome and often fatal form through which in time, as years pass on the sufferer finds his hair falling off, his skin and the flesh of his body rot, and are eaten away by slow, cankerous and stinking ulcerations; his nose first falls in at the bridge and then rots and falls off; his sight gradually fails and he eventually becomes blind; his voice, first becomes husky and then fades to a hoarse whisper as his throat is eaten away by fetid ulcerations which cause his breath to stink.”

The justification for the wildly different experiences of local and foreign troops in India all point to the critical need to reinforce European superiority over Indians, whether through asserting that tropical disease was “more virulent” than European, or that Indian morals were “less developed” than Victorian.

When “Christian England” took control of “heathen India,” about a hundred plots of land called Cantonments were sectioned off across the country.

The Cantonments Act of 1864 and the Indian Contagious Diseases Act of 1868 jointly organized the sex trade within military cantonments and enabled supervision, registration, and inspection of prostitute women in major Indian cities and seaports.

Back
Top Bottom