What's new

RAC MiG suggests upgrading MiG-29 fighters operated by the air forces of Ba

Zabaniyah

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
RAC MiG suggests upgrading eight MiG-29 fighters operated by the air forces of Bangladesh, ITAR-TASS reports. It was declared by the CEO of RAC MiG, Sergey Korotkov.

"We are negotiating with Bangladesh on signing the contract for upgrading eight MiG-29 fighters operated by its air forces. At present we are awaiting the Bangladesh’s approval", - he noted.

According to him, the signing of such contract is the most profitable decision for Bangladesh from the economic point of view. "We are always talking about the aircraft, however, I would like to use the term “aircraft system», which also includes maintenance of the aircraft and personnel training, - Sergey Korotkov said. – All the above mentioned components are already present at Bangladesh and this is another reason for signing the contract".

Source: RAC MiG suggests upgrading MiG-29 fighters operated by the air forces of Bangladesh - News - Russian Aviation - RUAVIATION.COM

What is the life span of a mig? How much life is left on our planes? How will and how much will this upgradation improve the migs life span/effectiveness. ( sorry not military minded so surely have not expressed it correctly but you guys hopefully will understand what I mean)

What is the life span of a mig? How much life is left on our planes? How will and how much will this upgradation improve the migs life span/effectiveness. ( sorry not military minded so surely have not expressed it correctly but you guys hopefully will understand what I mean)

The indian migs had a lifespan of 25 years, once upgraded(depends on the type of upgrade though) it is said that its lifespan will increase to 40 years.

source: We’ve no problem with MiG 29s: Air Marshal - Indian Express

If we go by these source, i think our migs still have a quite a bit of life left, since it was bought in 1999.

Since loki's article didnt mention the types of upgrade, or will it be upgraded to SMT, i am not really sure what improvements we will be getting

The indian migs had a lifespan of 25 years, once upgraded(depends on the type of upgrade though) it is said that its lifespan will increase to 40 years.

If we go by these source, i think our migs still have a quite a bit of life left, since it was bought in 1999.

Since loki's article didnt mention the types of upgrade, or will it be upgraded to SMT, i am not really sure what improvements we will be getting

Many person says our MIG-29 will be upgraded to SMT standard.

If you are not military minded then what are you doing in a DEFENSE FORUM?:hitwall:

SMT or UPG, both has more or less equal weapons and avionics package.

Last edited by a moderator:

Life span of a MiG-29 is typically 30 years.

MiG can upgrade the aircraft's lifespan at the customer's request.

They can also modify it by introducing new diagnostics and maintenance systems. They can proceed step by step to increase the fighter's life to 40 years.

In terms of effectiveness, it'll undoubtedly increase after the upgrade.

The SE variant or any legacy variant for that matter cannot use advanced guided air to ground munitions, nor the BVR capable R-77 air to air missile variants (The R-27's we use now are more or less garbage). That of-course coupled with a superior Zhuk-ME radar capable of handling the new tasks.

Weapons include the Kh-31A anti-ship missiles with active radar seekers, the Kh-31P anti-radar missiles, Kh-29TE missiles and KAB-500Kr TV-guided bombs.

When equipped with an external optical/laser targeting pod, the Fulcrum can use the Kh-29L air-to-surface missiles and KAB-500L laser-guided bombs.

This one is the UOMZ Sapsan E Electro-Optical Targeting System pod:
UOMZ-Sapsan-E-EOTS-VVK-1S.jpg

The upgrade will also increase internal fuel capacity. Internal fuel capacity can be increased by 950 liters through an addition of a strap-on tank behind the cockpit.

mig-29smt_00.jpg

I like to call this "The Hunchback" :rofl:

The capacity of the external fuel tank has increased up to 2,000 liters. Ferry range with three external fuel tanks and two R-73 air-to-air missiles (for self-defense) has increased up to 3,100 km, and with one in-flight refueling the range will be 5,400 km. Also, the aircraft has been equipped with an improved fuel system featuring a new digital fuel metering system.

The cockpit will follow the HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) concept.
What Does "HOTAS" Mean?
http://lockon.co.uk/upload/iblock/0fc/profile_chart.jpg

Two full-color liquid crystal multi-function displays are used. Compliance of the digital devices with the ÌIL-STD-1553B standard means that the aircraft can be completed with optional Russian- or foreign-made equipment and airborne weapons depending on the particular customer's requirements and financial capabilities.

2159152.jpg

I believe a "glass cockpit" may be possible.

So is the SMT upgrade worth it? A definite yes! It will be far more effective than the original MiG-29. The only thing is that it'll look..."fatter".

It'll essentially become a multi-role plane.

India started procuring its Fulcrums in batches way back in the early 80's.

So, this news confirms all those rumors of the BAF Mig in Ukraine or in Russia for upgrade. But this is also confirms that there is some hope for the upgrade program. If they are upgraded, then you can mark my word, BAF will go for more Mig-29 rather than Sukhoi's. Remember the 24-32 4+ generation fighter procurement program!

Ukraine do not have facilities for upgrading MiG-29's. They just offer overhaul services.

For upgrades, they'd have to go to Russia since it is the only country capable to perform such tasks.

The MiG-29 can more or less handle the same munitions as the Su-30, but lacks the punch, range and avionics. But the MiG is lighter. Flankers are damn heavy and $$$ to buy and maintain.

Ukraine do not have facilities for upgrading MiG-29's. They just offer overhaul services.

For upgrades, they'd have to go to Russia since it is the only country capable to perform such tasks.

The MiG-29 can more or less handle the same munitions as the Su-30, but lacks the punch, range and avionics. But the MiG is lighter. Flankers are damn heavy and $$$ to buy and maintain.

Sorry let me rephrase: "So, this news confirms all those rumors of the BAF Mig in Ukraine or in Russia for upgrade to SMT are false".

Can not agree with you on the bold part. Su-30MK has 12 hardpoints where as Mig-29 has 7.

Mig-29SMT munitions are: R-73E, R-77 (RVV-AE), R-27, Kh-29T, Kh-31A/P, Kh-35E, KAB-500Kr, FAB-500, RBK-250, RBK-500, RBK-750, S-8 rocket, S-25 rocket

Su-30MK munitions are: R-77, R-27, R-73, Kh-59ME/MK, Kh-35 , Kh-31P/A, Kh-29T/L, S-8 rockets, S-13 rockets, S-25 rockets, KAB-500kr, KAB-500L, KAB-1500L, RBK-250/500/750, FAB-500T, 28 × OFAB-250, 32 × OFAB-100

Besides, Su-30MK is a super maneuverable platform whereas mig-29 is not.
I will surface a source later that suggests Su-30MK needs less $$$ to maintain than Mig-29S/SE/SMT/M/M2.

Sorry let me rephrase: "So, this news confirms all those rumors of the BAF Mig in Ukraine or in Russia for upgrade to SMT are false".

Can not agree with you on the bold part. Su-30MK has 12 hardpoints where as Mig-29 has 7.

Mig-29SMT munitions are: R-73E, R-77 (RVV-AE), R-27, Kh-29T, Kh-31A/P, Kh-35E, KAB-500Kr, FAB-500, RBK-250, RBK-500, RBK-750, S-8 rocket, S-25 rocket

Su-30MK munitions are: R-77, R-27, R-73, Kh-59ME/MK, Kh-35 , Kh-31P/A, Kh-29T/L, S-8 rockets, S-13 rockets, S-25 rockets, KAB-500kr, KAB-500L, KAB-1500L, RBK-250/500/750, FAB-500T, 28 × OFAB-250, 32 × OFAB-100

Besides, Su-30MK is a super maneuverable platform whereas mig-29 is not.
I will surface a source later that suggests Su-30MK needs less $$$ to maintain than Mig-29S/SE/SMT/M/M2.

The MiG-29 does have TVC options if I'm not mistaken. Not all SU-30MK's have TVC, MKI (India) is the only known variant to have such a feature.

And please, do provide a source as to how the Flanker is cheaper to maintain than the MiG :angel:

SMT most likely- the UPG has Indian and Israeli systems.

I believe that is to make it compatible with the Phalcon which IAF operates.

I believe that is to make it compatible with the Phancon which IAF operates.

Yes the Indian systems on board are there so there is standardisation across the IAF force so data-links, COMSEC and IFFs are all of Indian origin so that all Indian a/c, AWACS and ground controllers can talk and data link with one another. The Israeli equipment on board is the LPD (LITENING) and EW systems.

Whilst the Indian Navy MIG-29K/KUBs feature the same Indian and Israeli sub-systems, they also have quite a bit of French hardware.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom