What's new

Pics from my Trip to the Manora Island, Karachi in 2011

Meengla

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The trip was taken in late November 2011 or early December 2011. It was for a only a few hours. My nephew drove me to the KPT Passenger Peer/Karachi Harbor where we hired a boat to take us to the Island. Do note that Manora is not technically an island because there is a narrow strip of land which connects it to the mainland (Sandspit Beach?); I saw a new road being constructed on that strip. But, as of 2011, it looked like boat was the best way to get there. Anyway, my nephew negotiated--I mean, really negotiated--a deal to have a boat take us to the Island from the Peer.

Our cost: Rs. 2,000 (approx. $25) for about 3 hour long exclusive boat ride. Yes, I am one of those Desis who have been in the West for very long and prosperous enough to have forgotten the old ways of haggling. But, hey, I don't mind pouring money into Pakistani economy. This was still a bargain!

Here are the pics. I am not in any of them!

Arrival at the Passenger Peer. It looked relatively clean. Of course you can count on Karachiites to spit their Paan everywhere.
9692529863_438ccc7d28.jpg

Another view of the Peer. We still needed a boat. The nephew for looking for some 'contact' who was supposed to be there.
9692536811_b51ac29b33.jpg

The 'contact' arrived, bargaining began. Smell of American $$ in the air with the 'American Uncle' (me!) around.
9692530671_2024756b7a.jpg

A very young boy was Captain Sunny's Helper. Agile. Already very mature beyond his years.
9695764212_80dfff25fa.jpg

About to start out trip. Most locals were crammed in boats the size of the same boat where just the four of us were traveling. I'd rather be locals but I would have to wait until those boats would fill up.
9695765182_08d19c8c32.jpg

Captain Sunny. Looked competent. Spitting Paan every now and then.
9695759734_3520d03665_b.jpg

Approaching Manora. You can see the famous Lighthouse.
9695758882_e1e4f9db21_b.jpg

[More in next post]

How the hell does it look so clean? Did you photoshop these images? Where is all the swimming trash?

The nephew and a local on the Manora Island.
9695760450_c266f33cf5_b.jpg

What could be called 'downtown Manora'!
9695763088_985de2b9c9_b.jpg

Nice Beach! Looking east. You can see a Hindu Temple (Kali Mandir?) in the background under renovation.
9695765774_005cce3c28_b.jpg

Looking toward the western end of the Island with the Lighthouse in the background. My nephew didn't walk to walk all the way to the Lighthouse--you can see why from the photo above :)
9692534915_6ea5caa75a_b.jpg

Closer to the Temple.
9692535839_514db30c6b_b.jpg

Heading back to the Peer. This was all so wonderful!
9692537549_6b5f88cf9b_b.jpg

How the hell does it look so clean? Did you photoshop these images? Where is all the swimming trash?

I don't know why so 'clean'. Perhaps Pakistanis are changing for the better--un-noticed by most of us.

No, I didn't PhotoShop anything. You can check the EXIF data--though the dates are wrong in EXIF, I think.

PS. I did think of PhotoShopping some which has my own photos but decided against that.

I don't know why so 'clean'. Perhaps Pakistanis are changing for the better--un-noticed by most of us.

No, I didn't PhotoShop anything. You can check the EXIF data--though the dates are wrong in EXIF, I think.

PS. I did think of PhotoShopping some which has my own photos but decided against that.

I was kidding about the photoshop but I am guessing its not changed much since I went there to get eat some crab cakes 2 weeks ago. Its unbearable with the smell and the trash. I am just surprised how you got these clean pictures.

Technically Manora is not an island, its connected to mainland by a thick strip of land through which a road connects the island to mainland, alongside the strip are beach houses for rent and a nice long sandy beach.

Oh, between the Manora's own Peer and the Lighthouse there is a small road which goes toward the Lighthouse. Along the road is some kind of military facility with high walls with barbed wires. There are clear warning: If you try climb the wall you would be shot! I decided to hurry past that building lest some stupid terrorist was planning to do something.

But the Island had an air of peace unlike most places in Karachi. There were very few visitors. The gift shops were almost empty. Perhaps it because I went during a week day. But I felt the safest in Manora compared with ALL places in Karachi--and that included even the DHA, Clifton areas.

I was kidding about the photoshop but I am guessing its not changed much since I went there to get eat some crab cakes 2 weeks ago. Its unbearable with the smell and the trash. I am just surprised how you got these clean pictures.

Crab cakes at the Passenger Peer? Tell me about it! I am planning to go to Karachi during the Christmas holidays and would love to try some Desi crab cakes. Are they spicy? How much do they cost?
Thanks.

Crab cakes at the Passenger Peer? Tell me about it! I am planning to go to Karachi during the Christmas holidays and would love to try some Desi crab cakes. Are they spicy? How much do they cost?
Thanks.

Actually it is more like you hire a boat for the evening and the boat captain has some cooks which use the catch of the morning (or the day before or the day before that). The menu is like crab cakes ( heard them call it lollipops) BBQ fish and other fish and potato curries made right in the middle of the boat. You can direct how you want it cooked with what level of spices. The boat travels a few miles in the ocean so its good if you take a few blankets, cushions and backup lights to enjoy. It costs around 40-50 $ for the whole thing and its advisable to go with a bunch of friends or family. Make sure you know someone who knows someone who knows someone there to get fresh fish.

When I was on Manora Island in 2011 a road was under construction; it was supposed to provide a good link between Manora and Sandspit. I saw construction activity very close to the Hindu Temple--so the construction was nearing the western tip of the Island. Has it been finished now?
PS. What do you guys think about my observation that Manora was/is the safest place in Karachi? That's how I really felt while there, except, of course, military facility's 'warning'. But even to get to that little side road the facility you had to go through some kind of ID check...

manora island should be little manhattan

manhattan-map-pics.jpg

Depends whether Manora lays upon a hard bedrock and can sustain such massive infrastructure and urban structures like Manhattan island. Also for defense reasons I don't think it's a good idea to develop Manora into a bustling city.

Depends whether Manora lays upon a hard bedrock and can sustain such massive infrastructure and urban structures like Manhattan island. Also for defense reasons I don't think it's a good idea to develop Manora into a bustling city.

Correct. During my 2011 trip to Karachi I was also given a privileged tour of the Pakistan Naval Base which is very close to Manora. Our guide was a young, smart lieutenant. He looked across the water toward the villages (and Manora) near the Base and said those the biggest security worries for the Base. I took some photos but was asked not to share--as if sharing would really compromise anything but still I am not going to share with anyone. But there were some squeaky clean China-built warships with smell of fresh paint and we were treated with sodas and munchies. Very nice of them!

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom