What's new

Pentagon & Clinton host Indian defence minister

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Pentagon & Clinton host Indian defence minister

US defence secretary Robert Gates and Indian defence minister AK Antony met Tuesday for talks amid talks of a growing strategic alliance and expanding military ties. The prospect of lucrative defence deals for American defence contractors also hung heavy in the air.

Earlier, secretary of state Hillary Clinton engaged Antony in discussions and also made a pitch for American defence equipment.

"We think we have the finest military hardware in the world, and if India is upgrading its defence capabilities, they should buy American," state department spokesman, PJ Crowley told reporters in response to a question on the meeting between Clinton and Antony at the Foggy Bottom headquarters.

"I believe our understanding is that some of those decisions are coming up fairly soon. But this is an Indian process, but we're pleased that US companies are competing," said Crowley.

He also said the two leaders discussed a wide range of issues including Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Looming in the foreground is a multi-billion-dollar deal for 10 Boeing-built C-17 heavy-lift transport aircraft. In its final stages, the deal is worth an estimated $2-5 billion and may well be inked in the course of a state visit to India by American president Barack Obama.

domain-b.com : Pentagon, Clinton host Indian defence minister

waiting impatiently for the next elections in US, when Obama would lose.
got sick of his anti india attitude.

waiting impatiently for the next elections in US, when Obama would lose.
got sick of his anti india attitude.

He's not anti-India. His first and foremost challenge is to display strength and stability in Afghanistan, something that he needs the Pakistani's desperately for. In exchange the US is showing less favorism for India. US wants a long term strategic alliance with India, which it values more over Pakistan.

Well Obama is elected to do what is good for the US not India.

If Obama loses then who is the alternative, Sarah Palin? Mitt Romney? I shudder to even think what a world would look with Sarah Palin as the US President.

Well Obama is elected to do what is good for the US not India.

If Obama loses then who is the alternative, Sarah Palin? Mitt Romney? I shudder to even think what a world would look with Sarah Palin as the US President.

Definitely not Sarah Palin, God. I don't think americans are not that stupid. There was talk of nominating 'bobby jindal' as a republican president for 2012 or 2016. That couldn't be bad for India.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom