What's new

Pakistan’s First Solar Project Is One Of The World’s Largest

I dont know what are the specs of this system, but $131 Million for 1000MW is impossible. Maybe $131mil is for the first 100MW stage but even that is very conservative. I have done solar sizing many times and the best Rates (Chinese origin systems) I have managed to calculate are around $1.5~2 Million for 1MW .. This is easily going to top $1 Billion for 1000MW (with min margins for the manufacturers and Contractors). This is why Solar generation is the MOST EXPENSIVE electricity generation system.

Approx 1 MN USD, I agree for 1 MW plus land cost. But, raw material and the logistics involved in managing the raw materials is saved over the lifetime of the project. Not to mention, you don't get affected by external suppliers of the raw material and their policies.

I dont know what are the specs of this system, but $131 Million for 1000MW is impossible. Maybe $131mil is for the first 100MW stage but even that is very conservative. I have done solar sizing many times and the best Rates (Chinese origin systems) I have managed to calculate are around $1.5~2 Million for 1MW .. This is easily going to top $1 Billion for 1000MW (with min margins for the manufacturers and Contractors). This is why Solar generation is the MOST EXPENSIVE electricity generation system.

Thats what I thought but leave it to Pakistani journalists and you will start to doubt your existence.

Another white elephant in the making, metro bus round 2..

A remarkabel project , if such projects kick start in Balouchistan , we would be energy "INDEPENDENT"

Honourable Sir,

You are 100% correct. $131-million for 1000 MW is next to impossible. This translates into $130,000 per MW. Rule of thumb is capital cos of about $1-million per MW for a combined cycle gas fuel power plant. This is about the cheapest there is.

According to various papers available on the installed capital costs in the US, even using the cheapest Chinese PV panels, installed cost for solar power comes to about $2.27-million per MW. True cost of electricity is in fact life time cost per KWH. According to the research done in George Washing University Life Time Cost of various type of generating systems as of 2010 was:

Gas 6.4 cents/KWH, Wind Turbine 7.5 cents/KWH, Coal 8.0 cents/KWH, Advanced nuclear 10 cents/KWH, Solar PV 15.0 cents/KWH.

Cost of solar panels has come down since then, but gas prices are down much more. Solar Energy is still the most expensive electricity. Problem is that our journalists know next to nothing about ‘Power’. This is obviously a serious case of misreporting.

TBEA SunOasis wins Pakistan mega-solar project contracts - PV-Tech
Chinese PV manufacturer and system integrator, TBEA SunOasis, has won a bid to be part of Pakistan’s Quaid-e-Azam solar park.

SunOasis won contracts for the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) as well as operations and maintenance (O&M) of the initial 100MW phase of what will be Pakistan's first utility-scale solar park.

Located next to the city of Bahawalpur in Pakistan, the Quaid-e-Azam solar park’s initial flagship project of 100MW is to be built across 500 acres; the government of Pakistan hopes to extend the project to a mega-solar project of 1,000MW with 6,500 acres of land reserved.

The total price of the 100MW project is estimated to cost US$215 million with EPC accounting for US$131.15 million and US$73 million for O&M.

The project has a life expectancy of 25 years, with the predicted profit from the project over 25 years estimated at US$21.95 million.

The solar park is part of efforts from national and local Punjab government to attract investment into the country’s energy sector, solar projects are exempt from tax, with a 17% return, guarantees, duty exemptions and other financial mechanisms to attract investment.

In September last year, the Punjab chief minister Mian Shahbaz Sharif revealed aims for the government of Punjab to install, from its own resources, 700MW of solar, setting up the state-owned company, the Quaid-e-Azam Solar Power Co., to deliver the projects. The project has since been expanded to 1,000MW

Quaid-e-Azam, or 'Father of the Nation', is named in honour of the founder of Pakistan, Muhammad Ali Jinnah, and will be owned by the government of Punjab.

At Intersolar Europe in Munich two weeks ago, it was reported that the park had began construction at the start of this month.

Pakistan is currently suffering from 6GW in energy shortfall, with demand rising by 8% annually.

Punjab receives some of the highest solar radiation in the world, 5-7 kWh per square meter, with 3,000 hours of sunshine available annually.

TBEA SunOasis is predicted to be the world's biggest EPC firm this year.

Back
Top Bottom