What's new

Pakistan, The Pistachio To My Kulfi.

Naltar Valley

The next day, Rahim, Matty and I hopped on the bikes and rode back up the KKH to Naltar Valley. I made it out about halfway up the road before my stomach protested, (apparently this heinous affliction is due to gorging on dried apricots). Through the remainder of my shortlived ride, my stomach rumbled and strange noises emanated from my nether regions – every bump was a gamble!

Matty looks quite happy, probably because he isn’t under siege from dried apricots. The four wheel drive got stuck, so the driver gave up and parked it on the side of the road and walked up too.

Finding the road covered in ice and snow, I left it to Matty and Rahim and returned “home” – I was feeling pretty grim and didn’t feel like sharing the hearty celebration of a reverse omelette with vanilla bits in the snow with everybody. Matt and Rahim didn’t get much further, and so, decided to walk all the way up to Naltar instead.

This local kid was having a ball hitting the downhills on his empty drum. Great idea for an easy toboggan ride!

That evening the boys brought back reports of their findings – air force run ski slopes, where Matty managed to get a free run down the slopes, which was due to the kindness of air force engineer.

Off topic : Pakistan should launch a cruise service from Karachi to Oman. Many people will love to spend some hrs in the sea.
:hitwall::crazy: Stay on topic bro

Also following cruise services

1. Karachi - Gwadar
2. Karachi/Gwadar to Dubai
3. Karachi/Gwadar to Mumbai ( hopefully in the future )
4. Karachi/Gwadar to Bandar Abbas (Iran)
:hitwall::crazy: Stay on topic bro

Convincing myself that I was totally ok, Matty and I went up to Naltar on the KKH a second time. Deciding to hitch a ride from the first outpost, we spent the first hour and a half with the local police in their tent, and waited for a jeep that never came. So, taking the initiative, we rode as far up as possible on Matty’s 150, only to find a few extra feet of snow than the day before, more ice and lots of mist. Time for a leisurely two hour walk!

A local gets amongst it on the way up to Naltar.

Two pairs of wet feet later, we stopped by a local’s house in Naltar and drank numerous cups of tea, dunking the sourdough styled local bread in the hot sugary goodness. Heading up the last leg of the mountain through a few feet of snow in our very ‘non-waterproof’ boots, we made it to the ski slopes, where the sun had finally woken up. Wow, the views were absolute killer, well worth the freezing hike up.

A small group of Yak going for an afternoon stroll

Even though we had come all the way up, the day was already late, having lost time on a non existent hitch. So instead of skiing, we took off wet boots and wet socks, wrapped feet in down jackets and enjoyed the view while eating a late lunch. Dagger like mountains failed to reprimand a darkening sky as white clouds floated dreamily around the razor-like tops.

Gorgeous mountaintops at Naltar, and finally some BLUE SKY!!!

Before long the sun had dropped and the night enveloped us. Matty and I ended up walking back down through Naltar in the moonlight. The sky cleared, giving us nothing but a beautiful blanket of stars – and alot of “woah… almost fell on me arse” moments. We sniggered like schoolboys all the way down the snow crusted road, as we lamented the integrity of our shitty boots, and considered the odds of a snow leopard encounter.

The blanket of stars was beaut to gaze at on our walk back down the mountain

No idea who that is, should I know him?

My friend was working for a direct selling company in UAE, he told me about this man and he always use the word kumbaya :D that's why I think you know him

My friend was working for a direct selling company in UAE, he told me about this man and he always use the word kumbaya :D that's why I think you know him

Oh lol!
Kumbaya is a word from a song sung to celebrate peace and harmony. Actually don't quote me on that. I know the reference of kumbaya more than the meaning or value of the song.

Back
Top Bottom