What's new

Pakistan Risks $18 Billion Fine For Failing To Complete Iran Gas Project

TheImmortal

Reaction score
Country
United States
"The US should pay the penalty if it does not approve of Pakistan and Iran going ahead with the gas pipeline project. The USA will have to do away with double standards - being lenient with India in meeting its energy needs while punishing Pakistan for the same," Noor Alam Khan said, as quoted by Dawn.

What is the point of fining a bankrupt country? Nobody going to make any money here.

On another note...who was the a$$ who agreed to these terms. Didn't they read the fine print or they just didn't care.

This is like CPEC nobody knows what the actual terms of these agreements are in Pakistan or the eventual future cost to the country.

What is the point of fining a bankrupt country? Nobody going to make any money here.

Maybe Saudi Arabia or Qatar can pay the fine on behalf of Pakistan. But it’s pretty standard for large contracts to have penalty clauses. It makes both parties committed to achieve the terms of contract. If there was no penalty, any side could just change their mind at any time at the economic expense of the other party.

On another note...who was the a$$ who agreed to these terms. Didn't they read the fine print or they just didn't care.

It got extended once, maybe Iran will do Pakistan a favor and extend it again.
This is like CPEC nobody knows what the actual terms of these agreements are in Pakistan or the eventual future cost to the country.

It’s a good deal that would help solve Pakistan’s energy crisis, Pakistan just too afraid to stand up to USA. Meanwhile, India continues to buy Russian oil no problem. Huge double standard.

Maybe Saudi Arabia or Qatar can pay the fine on behalf of Pakistan.
why would anyone pay for mistakes of Pakistan?
and Saudi paying Iran is just LOL. they are poles apart

It’s a good deal that would help solve Pakistan’s energy crisis, Pakistan just too afraid to stand up to USA. Meanwhile, India continues to buy Russian oil no problem. Huge double standard.
why blame other countries? stand up to others and take the sanctions - dont you think low energy prices for the country are better than a few folks making $$$?

Zardari signed the deal knowing it would screw the government that would replace PPP. It ended up being even worse because it's now screwing Pakistan itself.

Everyone, including his own party told him not to sign it, but him being an asshole he went ahead anyway, signing it near the end of his term.

Penalties are part of any deal.

But it seems there is no integrity when it comes to future-wise strategic decisions in Pakistan.

Risking the sanctions or accepting the economic set backs beyond the sanctions' effect. maybe that fine could help!

well at least one positive thing come ouit of this deal .people of south eastern part of Iran get access to easy energy

That’s unfortunate. I wish Pakistan had completed her part of the pipeline as agreed.

Can someone tell me if Iran need to speak to Pakistan about the fine or is it better to directly speak to China, Saudi Arabia and IMF to save time?

May be Pakistan can request for an extension?

Zardari signed the deal knowing it would screw the government that would replace PPP. It ended up being even worse because it's now screwing Pakistan itself.

Everyone, including his own party told him not to sign it, but him being an asshole he went ahead anyway, signing it near the end of his term.

I am surprised they haven't blamed IK.

That’s unfortunate. I wish Pakistan had completed her part of the pipeline as agreed.

Can someone tell me if Iran need to speak to Pakistan about the fine or is it better to directly speak to China, Saudi Arabia and IMF to save time?

May be Pakistan can request for an extension?

Pakistan is a bankrupt nation. 18 billion fine? These beggars can't even pay a few million.

well at least one positive thing come ouit of this deal .people of south eastern part of Iran get access to easy energy

If I were Iran, I would press the generals in Pakistan very hard. They must pay the penalty.

Penalties are part of any deal.

But it seems there is no integrity when it comes to future-wise strategic decisions in Pakistan.

Risking the sanctions or accepting the economic set backs beyond the sanctions' effect. maybe that fine could help!

There was one leader who sought independent foreign policy in Pakistan. Today the Pakistani generals are making him pay for longing to be independent.

Pakistan in its current format is untrustworthy and unreliable. Iran should seek the penalty.

That seems like a number created from thin air.

I am extremely sceptical, but if the contract has an arbitration clause (I wonder where, maybe Switzerland) and provides for damages in the event of one party's non-compliance etc and Iran has Pakistan bang to rights, then it should proceed with initiating the arbitration proceedings for damages.

Arbitration awards can be enforced around the world, both Pakistan and Iran are parties to the New York Convention. So if Pakistan refuses to comply with a favourable (for Iran) arbitral award, Iran could seek to enforce it across the world.

ameen take our army for 18bn$ as we have no 18bn$
Thats good idea
Iran can use it as canon fodder in Iraq or syria and we will get rid of this Colonial army

Win win for both
But i fear if these haramkhors told the benefits of having "state within state"
to IRGC, Iran will be screwed big time.
(I read somewhere that IRGC already runs commercial businesses in Iran)

Back
Top Bottom