What's new

Pakistan needs to focus & spend more on its education sector which is lagging behind.

I definitely can see where you are coming from, perhaps you are right in many ways
But
9th grade biology textbooks literally deny darwinian evolution by quoting religion instead of science.
Pak studies books label Bengali rebels as terrorists and dont mention the 1971 genocide anywhere
I havent seen a mention of SSDs in high school comp textbooks, just some (nearly) outdated storage devices.
The books are also poorly printed, not to mention they have to undergo a check by some mullahs beforehand too.
I think both of us know how accountable our government is, i dont think i trust them.
Perhaps there should be a certain metric upon which a students capabilities must be judged, but idk about that

End of day Pakistani textbooks work to ideologically confine the reader making him a slave of government institutions
Same has been the case even with American public school textbooks
I think i'd rather prefer more autonomy over what me or my child learns
It definitely needs work you're right but it can't be 100% decentralised.

It should be centralised for the sake of organisation, but the cirriculum and textbooks themselves need work.

This is how it works best in the best performing countries, don't try reinvent the wheel based on feelings, we have tried and tested perfect models sitting infront of us.

There is also the problem of no set schedule. Final Exams can be when ever the school decides. It seems a lot is run in an ad hoc manner.

I guess it all part of the consequences of driving off the most competent people and those still in Pakistan have to manage as best as possible until they (if we’ll off enough or highly educated enough to make it abroad) too can emigrate if given a chance.

There was the scene in the movie reluctant fundamentalist, asking what the Pakistani dream was. The main character as the professor in the movie puts the caveat of “one that doesn’t involve emigrating”.

Basically, 800K of probably the most productive people left in 2022 and $17+ billion is given as subsidies for the elite. If just $3 Billion were spent on education of young kids it would put 25 million kids in school, probably employing more than a million teachers. A billion more and we could improve university education to a decent level and a further $500 million to a billion could boost the quality of our top universities. Our IT talent could come out of this modest investment in only 2-4 years.

Why so much fu'ing subsidies, on top of that these elites prevent meaningful reforms from taking place because it damages their income, they also use hook and crook methods if someone enters the market which could threaten them (typically meaning they are more competent and offer better services)

They are forcefully occupying this country with their mediocrity

Last edited:

It should be centralised for the sake of organisation, but the cirriculum and textbooks themselves need work.

This is how it works best in the best performing countries, don't try reinvent the wheel based on feelings, we have tried and tested perfect models sitting infront of us.

Why so much fu'ing subsidies, on top of that these elites prevent meaningful reforms from taking place because it damages their income, they also use hook and crook methods if someone enters the market which could threaten them (typically meaning they are more competent and offer better services)

I don’t know the full breakdown of what the subsidies are used for, but I agree, in general they are fueling the mediocrity that is holding the country back. Between 1990-2021 Pakistan’s GDP per capita rose only 203% (from $495-$1500), while India 501% ($374-$2250), and Bangladesh 656% ($324-$2450)

Productive investment of this money is education and real agricultural modernization.

A very informative discussion, from which I get many of my recent stats is the following, I hope we get a petition to ask the professor to come up with a plan (38:00)

Pakistan’s average growth rate per capita over the 31 years is 3.62% while the population has literally doubled from 115 Million to 230 million, or an average of 1.8% a year.

We need a per capita GDP growth of 8% for the next 20-25 years to fix our nation’s problem and get back on track with the region.

Last edited:
Mass literacy and compulsory education for everyone will make people more productive as well as remove child labor (and some of the incentive for people to have more kids then they can afford to feed), making it easier for adults to find work.

Please note that Article 25A of the Pakistan Constitution made free education compulsory for kids as one of the guaranteed basic rights. But of course, we can see just a declaration is simply never going to achieve much unless backed by actual actions. Pakistan is all talk and no walk. Typical.

Please note that Article 25A of the Pakistan Constitution made free education compulsory for kids as one of the guaranteed basic rights. But of course, we can see just a declaration is simply never going to achieve much unless backed by actual actions. Pakistan is all talk and no walk. Typical.
I would assume a lot of what we need to do is already on the books, but unfortunately the will to fund and implement what we have codified is another thing altogether.

I would assume a lot of what we need to do is already on the books, but unfortunately the will to fund and implement what we have codified is another thing altogether.

And your assumption would be correct. The real pity is that such inaction is by design, which is nothing short of criminal.

And your assumption would be correct. The real pity is that such inaction is by design, which is nothing short of criminal.
This will probably go down as the greatest achievement of 2022, that the whole country realize how criminal the design really is.

I agree with that strong word because had Pakistan at least kept pace with the region, so many people would not be suffering needlessly (an example being the high infant mortality rate).

But not all of it is fault of those in charge. The geo-political pressures in our region over the last 40-50 years have really propped up failed economic policies. The end of the Afghan war put the country in a position that unless it fixes its economy it will no longer be globally relevant. The world is not willing to give a blank check bailout anymore.

Now there is no room left for excuses.

Last edited:
This will probably go down as the greatest achievement of 2022, that the whole country realize how criminal the design really is.

Again, an oft repeated claim, but one that actually needs to be proven as of yet. I will wait and see.

I just finished reading those articles but honestly I see a bigger problem in their criticism, while it requires a much bigger emphasis and focus on STEM, they seem to be against having a single national curriculum at all, and want separate provincial curriculums. They see it as wrong...

They also seem to be strictly against the "nationalism" it apparently enforces, and apparently it prevents critical thinking? What does this even mean? Can Pakistan not present its own historical and national narrative to its people?

What does critical thinking even mean in this context... it's as if they want people to question the existence of Pakistan and indirectly promote ethno-separatism. I seriously feel they may be partially funded by certain actors.

In my opinion by preventing a national curriculum, and disguising questioning the existence of a state or even perceived nationalism as preventing critical thinking, it feels these people don't want social/national cohesion. They may be genuine in their opinion, but without social cohesion Pakistan will be ideologically divided and it will undoubtedly fuel ethno-separatism. In Pakistan this translates into terrorism and ethnic riots.

Pakistan is an ideological entity to begin with, without national cohesion and at least common ideological grounds regarding Pakistan, it won't exist. So these people to me seem to be funded by certain actors or aren't very bright.

Honestly given how deep certain foreign elements are operating in Pakistan, I do think they've been prodded to say such things.
@Ssan @_NOBODY_

She wants ethnonationalism to be taught in schools 🤣😭😭

Perhaps there should be an annual exam related to STEM and language subjects, however the textbooks and the way students are taught should be left upto the schools.

Perhaps there should be an annual exam related to STEM and language subjects, however the textbooks and the way students are taught should be left upto the schools.
That's literally how it works basically nearly all parts of the world mate.

There are exam boards, and they have a cirriculum explaining the contents of what the exam will be based upon, they also issue textbooks containing all the information required before the exam.

Then the schools use that cirriculum and textbook as a guide. Students also use that textbook as baseline to make sure they are covering all the content.

I think Pakistan has fallen behind and neglected this sector, but this is arguable the most important sector for any nation.

Our biggest asset, and pretty much any nation's biggest asset is the quality of its human resource. We have one of the highest populations in the world that continues to grow yet we fail to utilise it.

I feel Pakistan is not focusing or spending enough on the education sector, like the schooling cirriculum, opening more high quality public schools, as well as investing in more reputable and high quality STEM universities. Part of our problems are likely rooted in this, inadequate education, poorly qualified and skilled individuals in important positions who don't truly understand what they are doing.

If we look at after Pakistan gained its independence when it was doing its best, some of the founders of our best instituions that were running them were Polish, Germans and Indian migrants. They were well educated, qualified, experienced, competent and skilled folk!

Look at the level of contribution this man had - this is when we truly followed a practice of meritocracy and our institutions were respectable and thriving, Pakistan had one of the best space programs in Asia at the time.

When these folks died out, we were left with poorly skilled and unqualified folk, we have neglected focusing on quality education institutions, and neglected meritocracy. Nepotism and corruption started to thrive much more. Our institutions became ineffective and more like loose collection of confused individuals with no clear road map.

This is the stark difference between Pakistan and India - quality of education institutions and overall literacy rates.

@_NOBODY_ @ziaulislam @Imran Khan @villageidiot @PakFactor @Areesh @Acetic Acid @Sifar zero @Dalit @epebble @ghazi52 @CLUMSY @ghazi52 @araz @The Eagle @The Accountant @That Guy @Irfan Baloch @PanzerKiel @AgNoStiC MuSliM @Imran Khan @PAKISTANFOREVER @waz @Windjammer @WinterFangs @KaiserX @niaz @farok84 @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @MastanKhan @krash @FOOLS_NIGHTMARE @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Cookie Monster @Bratva @Foxtrot Alpha @Rafael @Rafi @Trango Towers @Indus Pakistan @Norwegian @LeGenD @mingle @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @SQ8 @Goenitz @SecularNationalist @farok84 @Blacklight @Meengla @Dalit @ARMalik @Maula Jatt @Zibago @Jango @untitled @Reichsmarschall @Bleek @Dual Wielder @Smoke @RescueRanger @Trango Towers @Asimzranger @FuturePAF @Imad.Khan @forcetrip @baqai @blain2 @khail007 @N.Siddiqui @kingQamaR @Wergeland @PakAlp @Khan2727 @VCheng @Bleek @Sifar zero @Maula Jatt @PakSarZameen47 @Abid123 @FuturePAF

Pakistanis are stuck with the mentality that "Those who can't do, teach". With this mentality how do you expect any progress?

To have a quality education sector you need quality educators, with low earning potential and no respect, the possibility of improving this sector is next to impossible.

Pakistanis are stuck with the mentality that "Those who can't do, teach". With this mentality how do you expect any progress?
Actually this is a common phenomena across the world, even here in the states (till middle school and sometimes high school level)

Back
Top Bottom