What's new

‘Our F-35s had at least one close encounter with Chinese J-20 Mighty Dragon, they are flying it pretty well, We are impressed ’, US commander

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

‘Our F-35s had at least one close encounter with Chinese J-20 Mighty Dragon Stealth Jets,’ Pacific Air Forces Commander says​

By Dario Leone
Mar 16 2022
J-20s.jpg

J-20 Mighty Dragon stealth fighters

“It’s a bit early to say what they intend to do with the J-20, so really all we’ve seen it do is air superiority,” USAF General Kenneth Wilsbach, Commander, Pacific Air Forces.

US Air Force (USAF) General Kenneth Wilsbach, Commander, Pacific Air Forces, said on Mar. 14, 2022 during a discussion posted on the YouTube channel of the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies (see the video below) that US Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II stealth fighters have had at least one encounter with Chinese Chengdu J-20 Mighty Dragon stealth fighters, and that the Shaanxi KJ-500 airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) aircraft has a key role in long-range air-to-air kill chains.

However, as first noted by Flight Global, Wilsbach did not specify when the F-35/J-20 encounter took place, or if there have been more than one.

“It’s a bit early to say what they intend to do with the J-20, so really all we’ve seen it do is air superiority,” he said about the role played by the Mighty Dragon.

“But we notice that they are flying it pretty well. We recently had – I wouldn’t call it an engagement – where we got relatively close to the J-20s along with our F-35s in the East China Sea, and we’re relatively impressed with the command and control associated with the J-20.”

“We’re seeing relatively professional flying and it’s still too early to tell exactly what they intend to do with [the J-20] – whether it’s going to be more like an F-35 that’s capable of doing many, many missions or more like an F-22 that is primarily an air superiority fighter that has an air-to-ground capability.”

Given that in recent years has emerged as China’s key AEW&C platform, Wilsbach also spoke about the KJ-500.

The Shaanxi KJ-500 (Kōngjǐng Wǔbǎi; literally: “Air Warning 500”) is a third-generation AEW&C aircraft used by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army Air Force. It was built by Shaanxi Aircraft Corporation, and is based on the Y-9 airframe.

“The KJ-500 plays a significant role in some of their capability for long range fires,” he pointed out.

“Some of their very long-range air-to-air missiles [such as the PL-15 long range air-to-air missile that is understood to have a range in excess of 107nm (200km) and that is carried by the J-20 and other Chinese fighters] are aided by that KJ-500. Being able to interrupt that kill chain is something that interests me greatly.”

According to Flight Global, Wilsbach’s remarks hint that the KJ-500 may identify and assign targets for Chinese fighters, which can then launch the active radar homing PL-15 from great stand-off distance.

As already reported, last September the People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) showcased J-20 Mighty Dragon stealth fighter jets fitted with domestically produced engines at the Zhuhai Airshow. This represents a significant milestone as Beijing pushes the capabilities of its J-20 aircraft in a bid to rival the US Air Force (USAF) F-22.

Moreover, on Sep. 29 Wang Wei, the Deputy Air Force commander of the People’s Liberation Army, issued a veiled challenge that if the US is not scared of China’s advanced weapons “let us meet in the sky.”

Wei referenced comments about China that US Air Force (USAF) Secretary Frank Kendall made in August. Kendall said during an interview with Defense News that the focus of the USAF should be to stay ahead of China’s military technological developments to continue to field the types of weapons that “scare China.”

Moreover, on Sep. 29 Wang Wei, the Deputy Air Force commander of the People’s Liberation Army, issued a veiled challenge that if the US is not scared of China’s advanced weapons let us meet in the sky.”

Wei referenced comments about China that US Air Force (USAF) Secretary Frank Kendall made in August. Kendall said during an interview with Defense News that the focus of the USAF should be to stay ahead of China’s military technological developments to continue to field the types of weapons that “scare China.”

Great confidence from Chinese air force chief.

Because it's never going to happen in the foreseeable future

Not in a hostile engagement anyway
Since they are both so called stealth fighters, I wonder who found who first, the US commander didn't specify on it. But at least he believes J-20 is an impressive plane, pilots can not pull off impressive flying if the machine is not good.

Since they are both so called stealth fighters, I wonder who found who first, the US commander didn't specify on it. But at least he believes J-20 is an impressive plane, pilots can not pull off impressive flying if the machine is not good.
IMO, no one found each other "first".

They were likely both using luneberg lens as it is peace time and the stealth is mostly used in either war time or a more controlled environment closer to home.

Perhaps they were both visible to each other.

Dramatic! Air force's F-35s encountered J-20s over East China Sea for the first time​

Great confidence from Chinese air force chief.
I don't know anything about PLAAF chain of command but it says deputy, not the chief. :enjoy:

Although deputy is also the second highest in the command not some ordinary person for sure

Chinese J-20 Chase away US F-35 in E. China Sea​

it is likely that the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force sortied the J-20s to counter the possibly provocative activities by the US F-35s near China as part of routine maritime management and control missions

Didn't some people say that J-20s and other "junk fighters" are only for show and that Su-35 is the only capable PLAAF aircraft used to intercept hostile fighters?

:coffee:

Didn't some people say that J-20s and other "junk fighters" are only for show and that Su-35 is the only capable PLAAF aircraft used to intercept hostile fighters?

:coffee:

I still think Su-35 is the most maneuverable fighter in PLAAF inventory, but that's about it.

I doubt that all these stealth claims are just a myth, with fast changing technology, no planes are really stealthy.

Video shows Chinese Satellite has tracked a seeming F22 fighter jet flying through sky

I doubt that all these stealth claims are just a myth, with fast changing technology, no planes are really stealthy.

Video shows Chinese Satellite has tracked a seeming F22 fighter jet flying through sky

This is what I'm thinking, that China war against United States will start from the orbit frontlines, not the air.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom