What's new

One of China’s most ambitious projects becomes a corridor to nowhere

The port Jackdaws is talking about is Hambantota and not Colombo.
That port is going well actually. If it wasn't the retarded previous government, it could have been even better.

China-run Hambantota in Sri Lanka setting up warehouses, distribution centres

ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka’s Hambantota Port, operated by China’s CM Ports group is setting up warehouses and distribution centres to strengthen its position as a regional logistics hub, a top official has said.

“Our full range of services include container handling, general cargo, Ro-Ro, passenger, bunkering, bulk terminal, gas and project cargo,” Ray Ren, chief executive of Hambantota International Port, was quoted as saying at a forum in Dubai.

“In addition to maritime services, we are well on the way to becoming a logistics hub in the region, with warehouses, storage areas and distribution centres being set up within the port premises.

“We are perfectly located to provide our customers with all the services that would make us one of the top multi-purpose ports in the world.”

Hambantota Port was nominated as the Multi-Purpose Port/Terminal of The Year 2020, at a Global Port Forum Awards in Dubai.

Mohammed Sharaf, Assistant Foreign Minister for Economics and Trade of UAE and a former Group chief executive of Dubai Ports World had presented to Sylesh Peerez, General Manager Operations of the port. Peerez has also been awarded the “The Port/Terminal Professional of The Year 2020”.

https://economynext.com/china-run-h...ing-up-warehouses-distribution-centres-55410/

and..

More to come..

Last edited:
Forget everything else for a moment. If the people and media from your main rival countries relentlessly and desperately trying to convince you something is not good for your country. And attack it and smear it every chance they got because they supposedly care so much for your country's well being.

Then logic dictates whatever you are doing is probably very important and beneficial for the future of your country but threaten your enemy or rivals's interest pretty bad for them to do that. :azn:

Last edited:
I think China is taking Pakistan for a free ride. Despite the claims of CPEC being a loan, Pakistan may just be accorded the luxury of deferred payment by China. Only if Pakistan decides to side with the US against China in geo strategic affairs, will China lose its impetus to accord leeway for Pakistan.
Good if it uses both sides and gets the best deal for itself.

Can you give me figures of volume handled vs capacity of the port.

Your video shows me kilometers after kilometers of empty highway.
Highway wasn't opened when the video was shot. :guns:I cant find any stats for the port

Well put, Pakistani brother!

Most well read Pakistanis believe in CPEC.

Indians , Americans are against it for obvious reasons. Pakistanis who oppose are either living in western countries or are on american payroll..

Nothing to worry. CPEC will go ahead as decided..

As I said in another thread Indians are only good for a few things -- opening their big mouths to Lie, terrible dance, crappy music, and very bad idiotic movies.

Highway wasn't opened when the video was shot. :guns:I cant find any stats for the port

OK. So you are saying that the port is doing great without knowing the quantum of traffic and the utilization of the port.

OK. So you are saying that the port is doing great without knowing the quantum of traffic and the utilization of the port.
I saw the volume growth in Sri Lankan news but I can't find it anymore. Even if it's not doing great then it would be the Chinese who would be paying.

From what I see in the annual tonnage from Gwadar is not much, atleast till now.

https://web.archive.org/web/2019050...39-million-ton-cargo-unloaded-at-gwadar-port/

1.439 million tons in FIVE (YES Five!) years.

As a comparison, nearby Iranian port handed 1.5 in 2-15 alone.

If they can make YOU pay for their policy of economic growth by expenditure, no they are not stupid. YOU will be stupid.
I have business with chines.. they all think Pakistani are more smater tgen indians n amracians... when did india n US start worrying about pak...

The comparison is between cargo data from port Gwadar for about 2013-2018 and Port Shahid Behesti for 2015.

My point still stands, Chabahar port aka shahid Behesti has been in operation since 1983 with planning in place since before the revolution in 1979. Gwadar was only posited in the early to mid 2000's, and the actual plan to develop it into an international port was around the time of CPEC's first announcement in 2013.

Well, its easy to understand : Where does production machinery comes from? Also, with all of these "inflows" did Pakistan's import burden reduce? BTW can you name few places where you have applied this "learning" from China without using any imports from China?

A cursory google found this statement said at the Pakistan-China agricultural cooperation forum:

The Ministry of National Food Security & Research of Pakistan welcomes Chinese agricultural enterprises to come to Pakistan to set up joint ventures, and welcomes Chinese agricultural scientific research institutions to carry out technical cooperation in Pakistan, and will provide convenience and guarantee for Chinese-funded institutions to come to Pakistan.

Which only begs the question why China would support Pakistans agricultural industry and research at its own cost? Since agricultural goods are low-cost and China already produces an abundance, it would make no sense for them to do this if they were truly trying to exploit Pakistan.

Then theres China agreeing with Pakistans wishes to have a Pakistani astronaut in space aboard one of their future missions:

As part of their joint collaboration on space missions, Pakistan has expressed its willingness to send a Pakistani astronaut into space on a Chinese spacecraft.

Why would they agree to this? the cost of sending items to space per kg are phenomenal and yet they are transfering technology and creating a roadmap with SUPARCO to achieve this goal.

Heres a short paper I found where the author discusses the importing of Chinese 'innovation' to Pakistani firms:

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...onomic-corredor-2167-0234-1000358-106287.html

If they really wanted to exploit these firms then why wouldnt they keep them in the dark and make them dependent on China? By helping Pakistani firms and providing benefits to them all they are doing is creating a huge threat. Considering Pakistans lower-cost labour and the FTA, these practices could result in Pakistani firms undercutting their Chinese counterparts.

Indeed China wants to make money by helping you spend on infra projects which do not help you. Atleast not in the foreseeable future.

Every economist on the face on the planet will agree that infrastructure improvements boost the economy.

According to the government, Pakistan loses 3.5% of its anual GDP due to poor transportation networks, and tens of billions are lost due to frequent power cuts or lack of connection. If you are seriously telling me that infrastructure projects dont help us in the "forseeable future", then you are beyond delusional.

Back
Top Bottom