What's new

One killed, one wounded in blast at Istanbul airport

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
An explosion at Istanbul's second-largest airport on Wednesday killed one cleaner on an airplane and injured another, Dogan news agency said, adding authorities were investigating whether the blast was caused by a bomb.

Budget carrier Pegasus said the explosion at Sabiha Gokcen airport on the Asian side of the city occurred at 2:05 am (5:35 am IST), when no passengers were in the area. It said its operations at the airport were continuing normally.

Police armed with rifles and protective vests imposed tight security at entrances to the airport after the blast, searching vehicles while a police helicopter circled overhead, state-run Anadolu Agency said.

Anadolu earlier reported that one of the cleaners suffered a head wound, while the other was wounded in the hand. Both were women. Police declined comment on the incident.

The airport said investigations into the cause of the blast were ongoing, and that air traffic was operating normally.

Bomb attacks by Kurdish, leftist and Islamist militants are common in Turkey. A three-decades-old conflict between the state and the militant Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) has flared up in Turkey's mainly Kurdish southeast since the collapse of a ceasefire in July.

According to its website, the airport served around 26 million passengers in the first 11 months of the year, less than half the number at the main Ataturk airport on the European side of the city.

One killed, one wounded in blast at Istanbul airport | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

Some sources say that it was a mortar attack from outside. There are shrapnel damages at 3 parked aircraft. That can happen everywhere.

fft31_mf7471421.Jpeg

3 parked planes damaged.
That could lead again to the discussion:
" How effective air civil airports protected ? Do we need a ban area around the facilities ? Would seismic sensorsor ground radars be effective ? "

Most airport security worlwide is divided into responsibility zones.

The airport operator is reponsible for all inside, but has to cooperate with official security forces cause he has no executive rights e.g. boarder passing, registration and customs. In most countries the outside area is protected by Gov. Authorities.

FOR MY OPINION this sophisticated ATTACK was initiated from RUSSIA !

I agree fully with MIKTAT ALPAY

FOR MY OPINION this sophisticated ATTACK was initiated from RUSSIA !

was my first thought too

dhkcp too small would have made them years to manage this
pkk same problem with them they are mostly in east active

russians have the ability because of their intelligence service
only fetosh terrorist groub could be able to do this but they never had been active in this way..

i think also from russian

Okan. That scenario is also possible with 1 or 2 amateur drones.
Shiphol is god sake well protected; cause it is open area and can be good monitored.
Turkish airports are too near in urban area.
That was the problem before in Hongkong old airport.

Man they killed the poor clean service of air port..

The ones working hard and earning the lowest money

I think the Russians have resorted to terrorism in order to teach Turkey a lesson. All big powers are involved in this kind of terrorism,directly or indirectly.

Looks like Turkey right now is in a place where pakistan was in 2001. Turkey should immediately pull back American support in syria otherwise they will be the only ones left hanging dry in the end. Turkish economy and industry is still developing and getting involved in a war in which you have no buiness is just foolish. Sadly if they keep it up then number will keep piling up. I hope people now can see how instability in your neighbouring countries can pour inside your own borders if you get involved.

Time to produce own stingers with 10km altitudes and give them freedom fighters in syria

Back
Top Bottom