Now that's Funny! Chinese emoji circles globe

艹艹艹

Reaction score
Country
China
http://en.people.cn/n3/2016/1028/c90000-9134043-3.html
Now that's Funny! Chinese emoji circles globe
(Chinadaily.com.cn) 11:30, October 28, 2016

Reputed as one of the most popular emojis on Tieba, the "funny" emoji has received muchattention since its release in 2013. (Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn)

"Funny", a made-in-China emoji, inclusively used on Tieba, the largest Chinesecommunication platform provided by the search engine giant Baidu, seems to haverecently moved beyond just China.

Now, it is more than an emoji, but a cultural derivation.

Reaching global markets

A series of "funny" emoji-based bolsters have attracted the attention of Japanesecustomers through Amazon Japan, an online shopping center.

Even if one bolster costs about 1,750 yen ($16.73), more than three times the price inChina, it doesn't dampen their desires to buy it.

One Japanese customer Miki said: "They are just so cute and I bought three bolsters atone time for my family. And every time I see them, my mood just brightens suddenly."

"I think the emoji implies very complicated meanings. Different people can read differentthings from it. For example, my dad will send it on the occasion when he did not agree withsomeone but he has to say something and behave politely. But one of my friends think it isnothing but an expression of fun," said one Japanese netizen Kiro Kara.

Reputed as one of the most popular emojis on Tieba, the "funny" emoji has received muchattention since its release in 2013. (Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn)

Addition to Domestic Social Media

Compared with Japanese people's impressions of the "funny" emoji, Chinese netizensprefer to use the emoji to tease one another on social media.

One commonly seen comment on the emoji in Zhihu, the Chinese version of Quora, is: "Westrongly require Tieba to stop the usage of the emoji. Because every time other peoplesend me the emoji, I feel very uncomfortable and consider myself as a fool."

Reputed as the most popular emoji on Tieba, the "funny" emoji has received muchattention since its release in 2013.

A contrast of the "drool" emoji (left) and the updated "funny" emoji (right) (Photo providedto chinadaily.com.cn)

As a matter of fact, the "funny" emoji is the updated version of the "drool" emoji.Compared with the original, "funny" has a slightly opened mouth, a dull red flush and twoeyebrows. And all these characteristics render users a sense of satire, according to oneinsider.

If you think the emotion is the only cause for the "funny" emoji to go viral online, then youare wrong. In the next several years, the "funny" emoji has undergone manytransformations and gradually engulfed the internet.

For example, the emoji is the first one on Tieba to have multi-color variations in red,orange, green, blue, bluish green and purple. When users utilize the shortcut key to sendthem together, its exaggerated effect is amplified. If you do not know this rule, you shouldcheck here.

Meanwhile, the "funny" emoji is well-adopted in many settings and successfully gainsattention outside Tibeba. For instance, the Quilt-Covering, the Police-Acting and Smokingversions are causing a stir everywhere in Chinese social life.

Quilt-Covering, Police-Acting and Smoking funny emoji-based series are all well-receivedamong Chinese netizens. (Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn)

FOREIGN201610281129000376239783515.jpg

Yao Ming's smiling emoji has emerged frequently in local traffic signs to remind people theroad ahead is one-way. (Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn)

In Everyday Use Abroad

This is not the first time the Chinese emoji takes the world stage. Earlier this year, oneemoji from the Chinese basketball celebrity Yao Ming has been spread through the MiddleEast region. In Luxor, a city in southern Egypt, Yao's smiling emoji has emerged frequentlyin local traffic signs to remind people the road ahead is one-way.

And you may be surprised to find that many locals do not know Yao Ming but are familiarwith his emoji and nickname "Chinese Funny Face". What's more, the emoji has beenpicked up by the Egyptian English-language daily newspaper Egyptian Gazette as the titlepicture for its humorous column Serious but Funny.

What's more, due to the huge influences of Chinese Sina Weibo, the Chinese version ofTwitter, many renowned western celebrities like Leonardo DiCaprio and Madonna haveopened their personal accounts on the platform.

Many Chinese fans are excited about this and now choose to greet them with their ownfunny pictures, a behavior arousing the attention of foreign media. American privateInternet media company BuzzFeed reported on the cultural phenomenon.

FOREIGN201610281129000549017188148.jpg

Many renowned western celebrities like Leonardo DiCaprio and Madonna have opened theirpersonal accounts on Sina Weibo. (Photo/Weibo)

As a newly emerging online language, emojis have risen to become an integral part ofpeople's daily life. Emojis are able to help people express their views in a more vivid andprecise fashion. Also, it can help foreigners learn about Chinese culture and learn thelanguage.

As Chinese emojis have slowly entered the world stage, how to properly use "the fifthinnovation in China", a humorous name for emojis, without hurting others and how to turnthem into commercial advantages still need answers.

Back
Top Bottom