What's new

new naval air station

Imran Khan

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Naval Chief attends commissioning ceremony of Pakistan Navy Aviation Base PNS SIDDIQ at Turbat

KARACHI, 03 Sep 14: Commissioning ceremony of Pakistan Navy Aviation Base PNS SIDDIQ was held at Turbat, Balochistan. Admiral Muhammad Asif Sandila, Chief of the Naval Staff graced the occasion as Chief Guest. Commissioning of PNS SIDDIQ at Turbat is a landmark achievement in the history of Pakistan Navy. The Aviation Base will strengthen seaward security along Makran coast and beyond and will also lead to commercial flying activities, which would act as a catalyst for economic development of Makran division in general and Kech District in particular. Other facilities such as state of the art hospital, education institution etc at PNS SIDDIQ will enable local populace access to quality services at their door step and set off a new era of prosperity in the region. The Base is fully geared up to provide rapid assistance in times of need and natural calamities. While addressing on the occasion, the Naval Chief said that commissioning of PNS SIDDIQ Naval Air Base in the hinterland of Balochistan is a significant milestone towards enhancing PN’s operational capability, which will support our endeavours to keep vital sea routes of Indian Ocean Region safe for global maritime community and combat maritime terrorism in addition to safeguarding the maritime interests of Pakistan. The Admiral lauded the untiring resolve and perserverance of all those who have been associated with this mega project of immense national significance and hoped that pioneer crew of PNS SIDDIQ would continue the hard work and dedication for setting the tone and standards that would endure and pave way for smooth and timely operationalization of Naval Air Station Turbat. The ceremony was attended by a large number of PN, military and local civil dignitaries. INP/AJ

Naval Chief attends commissioning ceremony of Pakistan Navy Aviation Base PNS SIDDIQ at Turbat

KARACHI, 03 Sep 14: Commissioning ceremony of Pakistan Navy Aviation Base PNS SIDDIQ was held at Turbat, Balochistan. Admiral Muhammad Asif Sandila, Chief of the Naval Staff graced the occasion as Chief Guest. Commissioning of PNS SIDDIQ at Turbat is a landmark achievement in the history of Pakistan Navy. The Aviation Base will strengthen seaward security along Makran coast and beyond and will also lead to commercial flying activities, which would act as a catalyst for economic development of Makran division in general and Kech District in particular. Other facilities such as state of the art hospital, education institution etc at PNS SIDDIQ will enable local populace access to quality services at their door step and set off a new era of prosperity in the region. The Base is fully geared up to provide rapid assistance in times of need and natural calamities. While addressing on the occasion, the Naval Chief said that commissioning of PNS SIDDIQ Naval Air Base in the hinterland of Balochistan is a significant milestone towards enhancing PN’s operational capability, which will support our endeavours to keep vital sea routes of Indian Ocean Region safe for global maritime community and combat maritime terrorism in addition to safeguarding the maritime interests of Pakistan. The Admiral lauded the untiring resolve and perserverance of all those who have been associated with this mega project of immense national significance and hoped that pioneer crew of PNS SIDDIQ would continue the hard work and dedication for setting the tone and standards that would endure and pave way for smooth and timely operationalization of Naval Air Station Turbat. The ceremony was attended by a large number of PN, military and local civil dignitaries. INP/AJ

all P-3C's will be stationed there along with other assets. only detachment of Helo's will be stationed at Mehran

all P-3C's will be stationed there along with other assets. only detachment of Helo's will be stationed at Mehran

Is this a greenfield station or just an expansion of the Turbat airfield?

Turbat is a bigger security hazard than Karachi....
Yes it is, however being an isolated part and with acres of land available in the surrounding, perhaps the security agencies can weave a nice tight security net around the facility there compared to what they can do in Karachi with all the hustle and bustle of being in a densely populated area!
They will surely cordon off a large area and will be able to arrange for better security measures to keep irrelevant people off the secure base rather then having to write "Dewar pa charnay walay ko goli maar de jai ge" as on wall's of Faisal and Mehran base in Karachi :)

Yes it is, however being an isolated part and with acres of land available in the surrounding, perhaps the security agencies can weave a nice tight security net around the facility there compared to what they can do in Karachi with all the hustle and bustle of being in a densely populated area!
They will surely cordon off a large area and will be able to arrange for better security measures to keep irrelevant people off the secure base rather then having to write "Dewar pa charnay walay ko goli maar de jai ge" as on wall's of Faisal and Mehran base in Karachi :)
Exactly, it is much easier to secure turbat base than Karachi base due to density of population and far away from enemies.

Do we have some large enough islands which could be used to construct a naval airbase?
Developing the infrastructure there will not be that cost effective and then arranging for security for that and all that.

We do not have such large force or such huge ambition that we should invest so much to arrange for a separate island for there base like Diego Garcia :)
A piece of land in a bit less populated area will suffix i think.

Developing the infrastructure there will not be that cost effective and then arranging for security for that and all that.

We do not have such large force or such huge ambition that we should invest so much to arrange for a separate island for there base like Diego Garcia :)
A piece of land in a bit less populated area will suffix i think.
I just asked a question for I thought the seclusion of an Island would perhaps be the best option to have our assets secured. I do agree with you but when it comes to defense expenditures, nothing is cost-effective. Regarding the ambitions... we should have huge ambitions, why not? I know we are cash-strapped for now (and God knows for how many years to come) but there is nothing wrong with having plans to develop a potent and aggressive naval force, capable of not only securing our shores, the naval trade lanes, but also of inflicting heavy damage in the case of inevitable. Offense is always the best defense.

Do we have some large enough islands which could be used to construct a naval airbase?

No, we don't.
We don't actually need an island, as we have plenty of options along the coast.

How so? Apart from baloch problems I don't see much problem there. While Karachi faces lot more,diverse problems.

Sir, I can't share the threats to Turbat here, but I was part of the initial study for developing this airfield back in 2000.

No, we don't.
We don't actually need an island, as we have plenty of options along the coast.

Sir, I can't share the threats to Turbat here, but I was part of the initial study for developing this airfield back in 2000.
No problem sir. National security should be given utmost priority nonetheless.

Samugli base is isolated hence all TTP goons were gunned down miles away from the premises of the base before they could attack the PAF base in Quetta

Back
Top Bottom