What's new

Memorable Classics of Bollywood - Gunda

Reaction score
Country
India
It is well known that Bollywood has quite a craze in Pakistan. However there are some movies which have made a lasting impression on the viewers of Bollywood, these are cult classics which have an immense fan following. Allow me to introduce such a movie to Pakistan.

The movie in question here is Gunda, a masterpiece directed by Kanti Shah.

Gunda is a crime thriller that tells the story of a coolie named Shankar, played by Mithun Chakraborty, who works as a coolie at airports and docks (yes at airports). Unwittingly he becomes part of a gang feud when he stops a crook named Kala Shetty, a henchman of Bulla, from boarding a helicopter and making his escape.

Kala Shetty arrested by the cops but leaves a warning for Shankar saying, "Tujhe bana ke maut ke mu ka niwala, tere seene me gaar dunga me maut ka bhala."

Shankar thus gets drawn into a war against desi mafia leader Bulla whose catchphrase is "Mera naam hai Bulla, rakhta hoon hamesha khullaaaaa" his brother Ch*tiya (the pony tail, not the abuse) whose catchphrase is "Mera naam hai ch*tiya, achho achho ki khari karta hoo mein khatiya."

The two brothers in crime are partnered by two more associates. One of them is Pote whose catchphrase is "Mera naam hai pote, jo apne baap ke bhi nahi hote." The other one is Ibu Hatela and you guessed it right, he too has a catchphrase which goes like "Mera naam hai Ibu Hatela. Maa meri chudail ki beti, baap mera shaitan ka chela. Khayega kela?"

The movie has memorable dialogues, great drama, and very high entertainment factor. All actors did a commendable job.

Following are some of the dialogue samples:

Opening Scene of Gunda, two characters meet each other on a air-strip.

Actor 1 - "A gaye bhaiya? Tane gunda gardi me bohut naam kamaya. Kabhi dushmano ko fara to kabhi kata. Dikhne me to tu naata par tohar naam Lambu ata."

Actor 2 - "Ai kafan chor neta. Meri naam ki kawali gaana chor aur kaam ki baat bata jis kaam ke liye tu Billi ka doodh peekay Dilli se aya hai."

In another scene Bulla finally trumps over his arch-rival lambu ata. Lambu ata is a lecherous character who justifies his debauched morality with the comment, "Roti hoti hai khane ke liye, boti hoti hai chabane ke liye.. Baadshah ki behen ho ya fakir ki beti. Ek na ek din ati hai mard ke neeche bajane seeti."

Bulla and his partners are prepared to kill lambu ata. His man pote starts the proceedings with the dialogue, "Zakhmi hathi ke doom pe baith ke chuha panja to chala sakta hai, magar hathi jab ulta saas leta hai na, to chuha andar ghus jata hai."

Desperate to save his life Lambu Ata pleads before Bulla in his inimitable style. He is quoted saying, "Bulla mereko mat mar, mat mar! Mereko apna bharwa bana le. Main tujhe ladkiya supply karuga tu maaje lete reha. Tujhe AIDS se bachane ke liye me nirodh ban jaunga. Towel ban kar teri kamar se lapat jaunga, mereko mat mar. Aur agar marna hi hai to cheel-chal ke mera chakka bana de. Me saree lapat kar dance karuga."

However all his pleadings failed and Lambu Ata died at the hands of Bulla and his men who killed by applying "sunday ka tel".

If you Pakistanis have not watched this masterpiece yet then be sure you do it soon.

Just check out Pretentious movie reviews of Gunda on youtube. Btw, there also reviews of some other films of the same league as Gunda.

Back
Top Bottom