What's new

Light, love and prayers: Celebrating Diwali in Pakistan

Green Arrow

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
APP

564355efd2c5e.jpg

Hindu girls busy in their religious rituals during Diwali Festival in Shiva Mandir at Thandi Sarak. —APP

The Hindu community celebrated the Diwali Festival (the festival of light) with religious fervour, traditional zeal and enthusiasm on Wednesday.

People across the country illuminated their worship places on the eve of Diwali Festival.

564357bfd5253.jpg

Hindu girls offer prayers during Diwali Festival in Shiva Mandir at Thandi Sarak. —APP

Diwali is a colourful festival involving lighting candles, worship, celebrations and prayers.

Twenty-one days after Dussehra comes the most awaited festival among Hindus, “Diwali”, celebrated to mark the day when Lord Rama returned home after his 14-year exile.

564355f044160.jpg

A vendor displaying the earth lamps to attract the Hindu community customers to be used during their religious Festival Diwali. —APP

It is a five-day Hindu festival and during this time, houses are cleaned and windows are opened to welcome Lakshmi, goddess of wealth.

Candles and lamps are lit in and outside every home as a greeting to Lakshmi.

56436b3178093.jpg

Hindu girl plays with fireworks to celebrate Diwali at Hindu Colony Shree Swami Narayan Temple. —APP

All celebrations end at daybreak, the people then visit friends, relatives and exchange sweets and gifts. Special ceremonies were held by local Hindu community in connection with the festival.

56436b806255d.jpg

Hindu women play with fireworks to celebrate Diwali Festival at Balmic Mandir. —APP

The local Hindu leaders cut the Diwali cake and distributed gifts and sweets.

564355f10c4db.jpg

Vendors display fireworks to attract the customers. —APP

The Pandits and devotees held prayers in different temples for integrity, solidarity and security of the country.

5643606a6dce1.jpg

Children celebrate Diwali festival. —APP

Meanwhile, the police had made tight security arrangements in and around the Hindu temples to avert any untoward incident.

5643606a69998.jpg

Hindu girl celebrates Diwali festival. —APP

Nice pictures. Thanks. :tup:

I made several interesting observations.

This is how we live in Kashmir as well.

i. Men and women usually don't wear dhagas or other sacred threads on their hands.
ii. Men don't sport a tika on their foreheads.
iii. Women try not to flaunt a bindi. If they do, it is as small as possible.
iv. Many women dress in black. Almost never seen in festivals in the rest of India.

Similar scenes. Here and from other pics I have seen before.

The objective is the same - To look less Hindu. :)

Last edited:

i. Men and women usually don't wear dhagas or other sacred threads on their hands.
iv. Many women dress in black. Almost never seen in festivals in the rest of India.

No sari? From my observations even the most modern of women in my locality dress up in Sarees if married.

Black certainly is not done in any cheerful festival for women.

happy deepavali to all Pakistani Hindus.
B_Id_44625_Diwali.jpg

1352817786-diwali-celebration-in-hyderabad-mandirs_1593295.jpg

52789fcd3acdc.jpg

241641_72981573.jpg

111028-24.jpg

6-deepavali-celebrations-0311.jpg

Khushi k moqa per b @sarthak de sanghi sarcasm se baaz nahien aya...so low of u...what u said its u r cowardness u should do what u like.

deepavali ke avsar per meri taraf se app sabko hardhik shubkamnayen and my fvrt song

I think those(in the pics.) are the only Hindus left in Pakistan.....

I think those(in the pics.) are the only Hindus left in Pakistan.....
About 4 million more but itni pictures kon khenchay

Hello Friends......Happy Diwali from core of my heart
resized_montyburnsmemegeneratorsmithersreleasethehounds2f0f2f.jpg

----――――ˉˉˉˉ――――――――――
Let there be light: Diwali lamps lit across Punjab.
989639-diwaliii-1447281854-112-640x480.jpg

By APP / Our CorrespondentsPublished: November 12, 2015
SHARES
SHARE TWEET

PHOTO: EXPRESS
SIALKOT / BAHAWALPUR: Balmik Hindus and Bheel and Mangwal communities residing in several villages in Cholistan celebrated five days of Diwali by lighting lamps, visiting temples and distributing sweets.

The festival is celebrated during the month of Katik in memory of Ram Chand.

In Bahawalpur, the Awaz District Forum organised an event at the Shiv Temple to celebrate Diwali. MPA Fauzia Ayub Qureshi, also the chairperson of Awaz District Forum, said, “There is a desire for peace and love in every person…it’s about time we find love for humanity within us.”

Diwali brings with it a message of joy and light, Awaz District Forum vice chairperson Shehla Ehsan said. All religions preach this message and that is what should bring people from all faiths together, she said.

“It is not only times of happiness that should bring us together,” Qureshi said. Members of all faiths should strive to put an end to differences and support each other in times of hardship as well, she said.

Pandit Kishwari Laal said he felt elated celebrating Diwali with members of various faiths. “This is what it means to be a Pakistani – we are together without discrimination of caste or religion. Today I am proud to be a Pakistani.”

He said India’s Modi government should learn from this. “This is what a democracy ought to be like…we are celebrating Diwali with our women lawmakers and members of various faiths in harmony.”

Sahiba Jahan, a transgender, said their community shunned discrimination and hatred along the lines of colour, religion, caste or creed. “It doesn’t matter if anyone is Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Sikh…we all sit together, eat together and celebrate religious festivals together.”

South Asia Partnership Pakistan district coordinator Nauman Naseer said prosperity was not possible in any society till peace was achieved and all religions and races were accorded equal rights. “Let’s vow to put our country on the path of prosperity.”

In Sialkot, members of the Hindu community lit up their houses with clay lamps and distributed sweets and gifts.

A special ceremony was held at Jogindernath Temple on Paris Road where Hindu leaders cut a Diwali cake.

The police had arranged for tight security at Hindu temples to avoid any untoward incident.
Let there be light: Diwali lamps lit across Punjab - The Express Tribune

Hmm
See which Pakistani politicians, actors, celebrities, extended Diwali prayers to the Hindu Community | The News Teller
What the?
#Diwali trends on Twitter in Pakistan
@SarthakGanguly @MaarKhoor @KURUMAYA @haviZsultan

No sari? From my observations even the most modern of women in my locality dress up in Sarees if married.

Black certainly is not done in any cheerful festival for women.
We in Kashmir do. To look less/non Hindu when outside our locality. Like the Pakistani Hindus above. Subtle differences. But important. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom