What's new

Libyan Civil War | News, Updates and Discussions

Saho

Reaction score
Country
Australia
At least 10 people have been killed and almost 40 wounded when forces from Libya's two rival governments clashed with armed fighters in two large cities on Wednesday, officials have said.

Supporters of Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and other armed groups have exploited the turmoil in Libya, where two governments and parliaments are fighting for control four years since the ousting of Muammar Gaddafi.

In the eastern city of Benghazi, nine soldiers were killed when fighting the Majlis al-Shura, an umbrella of armed groups including Ansar al-Sharia blamed by Washington for the storming of a US diplomatic compound in 2012. US ambassador Christopher Stevens, along with three other Americans, was killed in the deadly attack.

At least 30 soldiers were wounded, a military spokesman said.

Libyan forces allied to the internationally recognised government based in the country's east have been fighting rebel groups in the port city since last year.

Backed by helicopters, army special forces took back several government buildings in Libya's second-largest city previously held by Majlis al-Shura, said the spokesman.

The army has gained some territory but clashes continue almost daily despite repeated claims by top army commander Khalifa Haftar that his forces were dominating.

ISIL's growing influence

In the central city of Sirte, ISIL fighters fought with forces sent from the western city of Misrata allied to a self-declared government that runs from the capital, Tripoli, officials and residents said.

Taking advantage of the security vacuum, ISIL fighters seized Sirte, Gaddafi's home town east of Tripoli, earlier this year.

One member of the Misrata-based Brigade 166 was killed and seven were wounded on Wednesday, Jamal Zubia, a spokesman for the Tripoli-based government, said in a message on social media.

ISIL said in a Twitter message its fighters had seized a camp of the Misrata forces in southeast Sirte.

The group published pictures purportedly showing its fighters at the camp, seizing several vehicles. A resident said the camp seemed to be in the hands of ISIL.

ISIL fighters have in recent months claimed responsibility for several attacks including the storming of a Tripoli hotel and the murder of dozens of Egyptian and Ethiopian Christians.

FezzanLibya ‏@Fezzan213 8m8 minutes ago
URGENT: reports from #Harawa claim #ISIS are heading towards #Jufra #Fezzan #Libya
Michael Horowitz ‏@michaelh992 57m57 minutes ago
PT: Seems like the group is going for the city of Wadan, but situation is unclear as of now #ISIS #Libya
Reuters Africa ‏@ReutersAfrica 3h3 hours ago
Rocket attack in #Libya's #Benghazi leaves 8 dead, 8 wounded-official http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFKBN0OF07220150530…
365 Libya ‏@365Libya 13m13 minutes ago
Italy: 4200 more migrants saved off Libya's coasts, 17 die - USA TODAY http://bit.ly/1JeLGL5 #libya
Alice Alunni ‏@AliceAlunni 17m17 minutes ago
@BBCWorld reports from #Libya armed group allied with Tobruq govt led by former Qadhafi loyalist 8km far from #tripoli international airport

Utter Chaos. Arab World is in utter chaos.

Can't Arabs see that they are only butchering themselves and throwing themselves back in stone ages? How hard it is for different factions to come together, sit down, talk, and reach a negotiated-mutual outcome for the future of their generations and lands. HOW HARD?!

Utter Chaos. Arab World is in utter chaos.

Can't Arabs see that they are only butchering themselves and throwing themselves back in stone ages? How hard it is for different factions to come together, sit down, talk, and reach a negotiated-mutual outcome for the future of their generations and lands. HOW HARD?!

Morocco is not in chaos. Neither Mauritania. Nor Algeria. Nor Tunisia. Nor Egypt. Nor Sudan. Nor Oman. Nor UAE. Nor Bahrain. Nor Qatar. Nor KSA. Nor Kuwait. Nor Jordan. Nor Lebanon. Nor Comoros. Nor Palestine (outside of Gaza) etc.

Libya, Iraq, Syria and now Yemen does not equal "the entire Arab world is in utter chaos".

That's why those conflicts are called civil wars and all originate in the "Arab Spring" outside of Iraq which is a more complicated story. What we see there is the result of the illegal US invasion in 2003.

If wars/conflicts were this easy to solve 100's of millions of people would not have perished in wars throughout history.

But I agree the parties in those countries need to come together and find mutual solutions but that is easier said than done.

Libya is actually not that bad off in terms of casualties. Less than 20.000 killed since the Libyan Civil War broke out in 2011. 20.000 too many though.

Anyway I have great affinity for Libya and hope that peace is found as quickly as possible. Libyans are great people.

so evil Shiias put another Arab country to chaos ....

Nobody even mentioned Iran here with a single word as Libya has nothing to do with Iran but you Farsis are obsessed about including Iran in most Arab topics, are you not? Why is that? How hard can it be to mind your own business, especially as you only want the worst for us 450 million Arabs? Last time I saw you have plenty to worry about on your own.

Let alone Shia Muslims.

Quit the trolling.

Last edited:
EX-egyptian mig-21 MF now in libya
Mig-21MFs.jpg
1506503_419773354865580_8959192496729530472_n.jpg
1622403_1567212386870879_3110334075919840768_o.jpg

250kg NASR-250 general-purpose bombs, produced by Egypt

10818513_1565917790333672_4896648896569747139_o.jpg
11021464_426052020904380_443394007049430317_o.jpg

EX egyptian Mi-8 in libya
10424323_859763200720612_7941452855252320379_n_j.jpg

ISIS will capture those MiG-21s? Actually, those are Chinese F-7s which are J-7s.

ISIS will capture those MiG-21s? Actually, those are Chinese F-7s which are J-7s.

nope they are not

this is Egyptian MIG-21
etsi83.jpg

which is now in Libya
1506503_419773354865580_8959192496729530472_n.jpg

now this is Egyptian J-7
photowa7.jpg

there is a big difference :-)

For each month that goes by it becomes more and more clear for me that Libya should be divided into 2 entities, possibly even 3 entities. That would solve a lot of the problems.

Cyrenaica in the East, Tripolitania in the West and possibly Fezzan.

If that won't work then at least full autonomy in practice and not just de jure.

A shame that there is no Libyan here. They are hard to come by.

I can arrange some great Libyan music though.

Libyan Arabic (the dialects there) have great familiarity with those of the Arabian Peninsula.

Last edited:
For reach month that goes by it becomes more and more clear for me that Libya should be divided into 2 entities, possibly even 3 entities. That would solve a lot of the problems.

Cyrenaica in the East, Tripolitania in the West and possibly Fezzan.

A shame that there is no Libyan here. They are hard to come by.

i have to disagree with you about the divide thing why any problem goes in any arab country we have to divide it to solve , look at sudan is the problems solved after the division? no , same solution now is proposed for Iraq and syria this will not help this division will destroy arab countries one by one , i hope you get what i mean saif :)

i have to disagree with you about the divide thing why any problem goes in any arab country we have to divide it to solve , look at sudan is the problems solved after the division? no , same solution now is proposed for Iraq and syria this will not help this division will destroy arab countries one by one , i hope you get what i mean saif :)

You are right brother. I actually edited my post before your reply and expanded further on what I meant with "divided". In this case I meant full autonomy de facto and not just on paper.

I have not followed the events in Libya for weeks/months but it was always a silly fight to begin with IMO. To me it seems more tribal/regional in nature than just pure political disagreements.

I will have to read up on what is going on in Libya and the Libyan media or some Libyan forum.

In any case I hope/pray for peace to reach Libya and the Arab world as a whole very soon.:)

This is USA plane ( Greater MiddleEast ) , he just repeats what his masters wants ...

Libyan forces push into last ISIS area in Sirte
d2e0bc21-7cf1-48e5-a8f4-c8c2a7203a5a_16x9_788x442.JPG

Fighters from Libyan forces allied with the UN-backed government run for cover during a battle with Islamic State militants in their remaining holdouts, in neighbourhood Number Three in Sirte, Libya, October 8, 2016. (Reuters)​

Reuters, Tripoli Monday, 10 October 2016

Libyan pro-government forces are advancing into the last area controlled by ISIS in the coastal city of Sirte, surrounding the militants after a five-month campaign backed by US air strikes, military officials say.

At least eight pro-government fighters were killed over the weekend as their forces pushed into the 600 block, an area in central Sirte, with snipers and boobytraps posing the main obstacles to their advance, the officials said.

A Reuters reporter on the ground said forces advanced across two streets on Sunday, but were facing resistance and discovering explosive devices in many buildings.

ISIS took over Sirte a year ago, exploiting the chaos and violence that have dogged Libya since the overthrow of leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 in order to carve out a new base, far from its main territory in Iraq and Syria.

Losing the city would be a major blow to the group, but officials believe some of its fighters and commanders escaped before Sirte was surrounded, and may continue to wage guerrilla-style attacks even after it falls.

The advance is being led by the Bonyan Marsous forces, mainly fighters from the city of Misrata, who are supporting a United Nations-backed unity government in Tripoli that is trying to bring together rival factions.

“The forces of Bonyan Marsous made some advances and completely trapped the 600 block area in Sirte,” Misrata forces media official Ali Almabrouk said.

Mohamed Ghasri, a spokesman for pro-government forces, said two female militants had escaped with their three children and surrendered. They told Misrata forces they did not want to be used in suicide attacks, Ghasri said.

The fall of a major city to one of the country’s most powerful factions is rekindling tensions with rival brigades in the east, led by Khalifa Haftar, who has rejected the authority of the UN-backed government in Tripoli.

In a major advance, Haftar has taken control of eastern oil ports and his troops have advanced close to Sirte. Many in the west of Libya believe Haftar is planning to establish himself as a military strongman like Gaddafi. His backers in the east see him as the only one who has fought for their interests, especially against Islamist militants.

Last Update: Monday, 10 October 2016 KSA 16:46 - GMT 13:46

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/Ne...forces-push-into-last-ISIS-area-in-Sirte.html

Military situation on 13 September 2016
Controlled by Libyan National Army, theoretically for Government of National Accord
Controlled by Libya Dawn, theoretically for Government of National Accord
Controlled by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant
Controlled by the Benghazi, Derna and Ajdabiya Shura councils
Controlled by Tuareg forces
Controlled by local forces
(For a more detailed map, see military situation in the Libyan Civil War)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_Civil_War_(2014–present)

All the best of luck to our Libyan brothers and sisters and may they succeed in making the future of Libya and the Libyan people better than the present.

:smitten:

Short overview of the situation on the ground:

Last edited:
Significant breakthrough reached in Libya talks: UAE

May 4, 2017

MIDEast_6_1-1-640x411.jpg

Tripoli-based Prime Minister Fayez Serraj, left, poses for a photograph with Field Marshal Khalifa Hifter, right, in Abu Dhabi. — AP

DUBAI — The United Arab Emirates says a “significant breakthrough” was reached in talks between two rival Libyan leaders that were held in Abu Dhabi.

A Foreign Ministry statement issued early Wednesday marked the first official word on the talks the day before between Field Marshal Khalifa Hifter and Prime Minister Fayez Serraj.

On Tuesday, Libya’s armed forces posted a Facebook photo of the two men.

The ministry’s statement offered no specifics. Libya TV said the two men agreed on holding presidential and parliamentary elections next year, but it’s unclear how such a vote would be held in the fractured country.

Libya sank into chaos following the 2011 uprising that toppled and killed dictator Moammar Gadhafi. The nation now is split between rival governments and warring militias.

Libya’s eastern military commander met the head of its UN-backed government on Tuesday, ending a 16-month standoff that has undermined diplomatic efforts to unify a country riven by factional fighting since 2011.

Having previously spurned invitations to engage with the government, Khalifa Haftar held talks with Fayez Seraj in Abu Dhabi that one source close to Haftar said produced an agreement to hold elections early next year.

Regional and Western powers have for months been pushing the two men to discuss resetting a U.N.-mediated agreement that led to the creation of Seraj’s Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli. The deal was an attempt to end the turmoil that followed the 2011 uprising against Muammar Gaddafi.

Haftar is the dominant figure for factions in eastern Libya that have rejected the GNA, contributing to its failure to expand its power in Tripoli and beyond. Rival armed factions in the west of the country have backed the government.

Tuesday’s meeting could be a step towards ending a stalemate between competing loose alliances that pushed the country into open warfare in 2014. But any lasting deal would need backing from the numerous and powerful armed groups that have scuppered previous attempts to stabilise the oil-rich country.

Sources close to Haftar said he met Seraj one-on-one for two hours of talks they described as positive.

One sticking point has been a clause in the UN-mediated deal giving the GNA’s leadership immediate control over military appointments, which eastern factions fear will weaken Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA).

Libya’s 218 channel, a pro-Haftar TV station, said they had agreed to propose cancelling the clause, and to form a restructured unity government.

“It was agreed to open permanent channels of communication and to form two working groups to complete an agreement on the details of the formation of a government and the military arrangements between officers from all regions,” one source close to Haftar in Abu Dhabi who asked not to be named told Reuters.

There was also an agreement to hold presidential and parliamentary elections no later than March 2018, the source said.

It was the first time Seraj and Haftar had met since the start of last year.

An expected meeting in Cairo in February fell through, though a roadmap for eastern and western parliamentary delegations to revive a peace process was agreed.

Haftar, a former Gaddafi ally, is a divisive figure who opponents suspect of seeking to return the country to authoritarian rule.

With backing from foreign powers including Egypt, the UAE and Russia, he has gained ground militarily since last year, taking control of several key oil ports and advancing in a long campaign against Islamist-led rivals in Benghazi, Libya’s second city.

Haftar has also indicated that he expected to take Tripoli, though many observers doubt he has the capacity to do so.

As the LNA and its allies have pushed west in recent months, they have clashed repeatedly with GNA-aligned opponents around the oil ports and in the southern desert regions of Sabha and Jufra.

Haftar and his supporters have previously rejected the GNA because they say it is beholden to the militias that hold sway in Tripoli and the rest of western Libya. — Agencies

http://saudigazette.com.sa/world/mena/significant-breakthrough-reached-libya-talks-uae/

Encouraging news.

Back
Top Bottom