4. 7. Boeing F-15EX Eagle II
  5. 6. Shenyang FC-31 Gyrfalcon
  6. 5. Sukhoi Su-57
  7. 4. KAI KF-21 Boramae
  8. 3. Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  9. 2. Chengdu J-20 Mighty Dragon
  10. 1. Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning

4. KAI KF-21 Boramae​

Designed in South Korea, the KF-21 is the newest jet on this list. While KAI designates it as 4.5 generation, it has many features compatible with 5th generation jets, such as stealthy design and some technologies used on the F-35.

The first KF-21 conducted its maiden flight only in July 2022, and several more prototypes are currently in production and undergoing testing at KAI. The company aims to start delivering these jets to the military in 2026.

The Boramae is also set to receive additional improvements in the near future. Further variants, with internal weapons bays and improved sensors, will make it a true 5th generation fighter jet. So, this jet could feature it even higher in future versions of this list.

AlhamduLILLAH

Third prototype successfully made its maiden flight

Third prototype KF21/IFX

322591592_5744014279052368_4614496527232568921_n.jpg

324236210_1581721338961919_1229978877705428587_n.jpg

324114343_866576874556164_4405909829027056709_n.jpg

KF 21 Third prototype

KF21 Third prototype.jpg

Indonesian wind tunnel

This I believe C 103 design developed by ADD Korea, Indonesian Aerospace, and Institute Technology Bandung (Indonesia state own university) between 2011-2012. After Korea Aerospace and Lockheed Martin joined the program since 2016, development is concentrated in KAI facilities.

2012 released picture

1664460370175-png.883483

Last edited:
Has anyone of heard any more about thsi possible take-over of Indonesia's share by the UAE?

I do not want to ruin the party and if true it would be indeed a great news, but so far I have seen only some random Twitter accounts posting this and nothing official .. and quoting Bulgarianmilitary is IMO more a proof it is something wrong.

Has anyone of heard any more about thsi possible take-over of Indonesia's share by the UAE?

I do not want to ruin the party and if true it would be indeed a great news, but so far I have seen only some random Twitter accounts posting this and nothing official .. and quoting Bulgarianmilitary is IMO more a proof it is something wrong.
Unlikely to happen. Indonesia and UAE is close friend. UAE paid Indonesian cost share for Indonesia is the only possible thing over this issue due to Indo - UAE close relationship according to my opinion.

Indonesian President has confirmed KFX/IFX program continuation in early 2021, before KF 21 rolled out in April 2021. 2021 August Indonesian engineers come back to SK after returning home in March 2020 (CDR completion is in September 2019). 2021 November renegotiation is completed.

Indonesia has started paying in November 2022. 2023 payment is given in February, larger than 2022 payment. From my connection on the KFX team, 2024 payment for our cost share has been budgeted as well, larger than 2023 payment, around double 2023 payment.

Both leaders have met in Jakarta in September 2023, reaffirm KF21 joint project cooperation until its completion.

Last edited:

Good that UAE is removing the American "veto" over them being able to generate stealth aircraft. I would be suprised if Indonesia has decided to leave the programme, but looking at their ability to finance their involvement, has Indonesia's heart really been in the programme?? Maybe it has now ? I am suprised how poorly Indonesia has kept its side of the "bargain" with South Korea given how wealthy and well managed the Indonesian economy is, also how patient South Korea was with Indonesia. They should have been able to afford their participation with absolutely no issues at all.

Lets see - time will tell. UAE's choices were Ka'an, J-25, Tempest, FCAS and the KF-21 ... good to see they have turned their backs on their Mig collaboation effort ( if it ever went anywhere beyond an announcement that is ).

It would be better for all, if all South Korea, Indonesia and now UAE all were involved as partners.

Good that UAE is removing the American "veto" over them being able to generate stealth aircraft. I would be suprised if Indonesia has decided to leave the programme, but looking at their ability to finance their involvement, has Indonesia's heart really been in the programme?? Maybe it has now ? I am suprised how poorly Indonesia has kept its side of the "bargain" with South Korea given how wealthy and well managed the Indonesian economy is, also how patient South Korea was with Indonesia. They should have been able to afford their participation with absolutely no issues at all.

Lets see - time will tell. UAE's choices were Ka'an, J-25, Tempest, FCAS and the KF-21 ... good to see they have turned their backs on their Mig collaboation effort ( if it ever went anywhere beyond an announcement that is ).

It would be better for all, if all South Korea, Indonesia and now UAE all were involved as partners.

KFX/IFX program started in 2009 during SBY administration. SBY comes from Democrat party and very critical to Jokowi administration as Democrat and PKS are the only opposition parties currently.

Current gov will keep continuing the program inshaAllah but with less money than it should be. Next gov will have to pay more but I dont think we have any finantial problem as our state budget is about half of UAE total GDP.

This is problem seen in any democratic nation. SK also delayed the program during 2013 - 2014 period and almost scrapped C103 design with downgraded KFX -E design.

It is the likely scenario from my understanding if UAE is interested joining the program. Good for the program.

I would say KF21 block 3 is getting possible to realize with the inclusion of UAE inside the program. We will see what will be the final deal since the negotiation will likely take some times. For Indo - SK cooperation in KFX/ IFX program, it takes 1 year from MOU into contract.

If UAE will pay Indonesia contribution, our KFX/IFX 2024 budgeted payment can be used for supporting Indonesian Aerospace production line, particularly the composit aerostructure production line for KF21 program and other supporting programs related to KFX/IFX program as well.

My take is that the possibility for UAE to get 20 % of stake in KF21 program and paid remaining Indonesian cost share obligation due to Indo - UAE friendship. This will be supported with 50 KF21 firm order commitment from UAE and possibly more as KF21 will likely become UAE back bone fighters in the future if UAE become part of the program.

Solo, Central Java

Last edited:
In the beginning of the program, KFX/ IFX is already set as cooperation of 3 countries, SK- Indo -Turkey. After approaching Indonesia and made the deal, SK approached Turkey, but Turkey refuse to be junior partner ( Turkey want equal stake with SK) and develop TFX instead. Then SK started the KFX/IFX development with only Indonesia as partner in 2011.

Back
Top Bottom