What's new

Indonesia awarded favorite destination in ASEAN

Reashot Xigwin

Reaction score
Thejakartapost.com, Jakarta | National | Thu, September 03 2015, 4:06 PM

TOURISM_3.img_assist_custom-610x362.jpg

Two surfers enjoy a sunny day at Green Bowl Beach in southern Bali. (Bali Daily/Peni Widarti)
National News
Indonesia has been declared ASEAN's favorite destination by the Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents (MATTA).

Deputy Tourism Minister for overseas promotion I Gde Pitana said that he would lead the Indonesian delegation to receive the award at the MATTA Fair in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, which will be held Sept. 4-6.

The delegation will include 80 tourism industry businesspeople and 10 tourism agency heads.

"We will also participate in the event to attract more tourists from Malaysia as well as other participating countries," said Pitana on Thursday as quoted by Antara news agency.

The even will be hosted in the 207-square meter Indonesia Pavilion. On exhibit will be various tourist destinations in Sumatra, Java, Bali, Sulawesi, Nusa Tenggara and Papua. There will also be cultural performances such as traditional dances, Sasando music (an indigenous instrument) and umbrella painting activities.

Visitors will also be invited to taste Indonesian coffee from Toraja and Sumatra, including the gourmet Luwak coffee, and enjoy traditional spa treatments.

At the opening ceremony on Friday, the Indonesia Pavilion will feature rampak kendang, a traditional West Java percussion ensemble, and the country's latest video about tourism.

"More than 1.27 million Malaysians visited Indonesia last year. Our target is to attract up to 1.7 million this year," said Pitana. (kes)

- See more at: Indonesia awarded favorite destination in ASEAN | The Jakarta Post

Indonesia's tourism growth
beats Malaysia, Singapore

Thejakartapost.com, Jakarta | National | Thu, September 03 2015, 1:58 PM

cz9gauwbo9sg4488oo84cs4c8.img_assist_custom-640x371.jpg

Hundreds of tourists are sunbathing at Kuta beach, Bali. (Photo courtesy of The Jakarta Post)
National News
Indonesia has registered higher tourism growth in the first semester of this year than Malaysia and Singapore.

"Compared to last year, Malaysia and Singapore recorded negative tourism growth between January and May by 8.6 percent and 4.1 percent, respectively. Meanwhile, Indonesia registered positive growth of up to 3.86 percent in January-May or 2.69 percent in January-July," said Tourism Minister Arief Yahya in a press release on Thursday.

Indonesia welcomed more than 5.47 million foreign tourists in the first semester of 2015.

According to data from the Central Statistics Agency (BPS), the highest growth of foreign nationals visiting the country in July this year came from China (19.99 percent), India (10.35 percent), UK (9.99 percent), Egypt (9.66 percent) and Saudi Arabia (4.14 percent).

The volcanic ash from Mount Raung in East Java that disrupted activities in Bali's Ngurah Rai International Airport for a few days apparently had not discouraged foreign arrivals in the country's main entry points in Bali, Jakarta and Batam.

"We are optimistic that we can reach our target to attract 10 million foreign tourists this year," said Arief.

The ministry is also hopeful that the visa-free policy for 30 nationalities and aggressive promotion in 18 countries can increase the number of foreign visitors to Indonesia. (kes)

- See more at: Indonesia's tourism growth beats Malaysia, Singapore | The Jakarta Post

47 countries, including
Oz, to enjoy visa-free
entry by October

thejakartapost.com, Jakarta | National | Tue, September 01 2015, 7:07 PM

National News
Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Rizal Ramli said on Tuesday that the government would extend its visa-free policy to another 47 countries by October, increasing the number of countries that enjoy the facility to 92.

Among the 47 countries are Australia and the Vatican.

Rizal said that the decision was aimed at boosting tourist arrivals and increasing the government’s foreign currency income. The government has targeted 20 million tourist arrivals in the next five years.

“We hope this [policy] can attract more tourists and create new jobs,” he said, as quoted by tempo.co.

He said the government’s previous policy to waive visas for 45 countries had proved positive with tourist arrivals increasing by 15 percent.

“We hope this extension will double the country’s foreign exchange income to US$20 million in the next five years,” he added.

Rizal explained that the government had set up criteria for countries that could enjoy visa-free entry into Indonesia.

“Countries that have drugs, economic or radicalization problems, have been scratched from the list,” he said, adding that the previous proposal mentioned 50 countries but the government had decided to exclude three countries for failing to meet its criteria.

Rizal said that his ministry would coordinate with the directorate general of immigration at the Law and Human Rights Ministry to enforce the new policy.

The director general of immigration Ronny F. Sompie said he planned to add more counters at various ports and airports in Indonesia to anticipate the increased tourist arrivals.

“We will also prepare an online system so we can trace the background of people visiting Indonesia in real time to ensure they are not on the entry blacklist,” he said. (edn/ika)

- See more at: 47 countries, including Oz, to enjoy visa-free entry by October | The Jakarta Post

43 % will go to Bali, 23 % Jakarta. There are many other potential tourism site that hasnt got any good marketing yet.

Even not many foreigner know that near Jakarta we have good beach like Anyer beach

Anyer, just 2-3 hours from Jakarta

pantaianyercarita.jpg

I thought Indonesia is still under achievement in Tourism sector.....we should on par with other major player like South Korea, Japan, Italy in this business.

No surprise at all. Indonesia has a lot to offer especially in terms of beach/marine tourism. It is also a much more unspoiled market compared to a tiny city nation like Singapore and Malaysia next door let alone the Philippines and obviously Thailand.

43 % will go to Bali, 23 % Jakarta. There are many other potential tourism site that hasnt got any good marketing yet.

Even not many foreigner know that near Jakarta we have good beach like Anyer beach

Anyer, just 2-3 hours from Jakarta

pantaianyercarita.jpg

Yes, most tourists are mostly only familiar with Bali and Jakarta while Indonesia has a lot more to offer than just that. You are still a developing country and maybe the right tourist infrastructure has not been built yet?

No doubt that Indonesia in the upcoming years will become a popular tourist destination not only for nearby ASEAN countries but also Australia, China, Arab world and Europe.

Good news for Indonesia. All the best.

No surprise at all. Indonesia has a lot to offer especially in terms of beach/marine tourism. It is also a much more unspoiled market compared to a tiny city nation like Singapore and Malaysia next door let alone the Philippines and obviously Thailand.

Yes, most tourists are mostly only familiar with Bali and Jakarta while Indonesia has a lot more to offer than just that. You are still a developing country and maybe the right tourist infrastructure has not been built yet?

No doubt that Indonesia in the upcoming years will become a popular tourist destination not only for nearby ASEAN countries but also Australia, China, Arab world and Europe.

Good news for Indonesia. All the best.

Thanks. Nice to see you again in here.. :-)

Yup many tourism infrastructure is not yet established, only Jakarta, Puncak, Bandung and Bali who has good infrastructure. Talking about Arab tourist, they have come and we can easily find them in hotels across Jakarta, particularly 4 and 5 stars hotels.

Yup many tourism infrastructure is not yet established, only Jakarta, Puncak, Bandung and Bali who has good infrastructure. Talking about Arab tourist, they have come and we can easily find them in hotels across Jakarta, particularly 4 and 5 stars hotels.

As you know from our past discussions, my father and some of his younger siblings (my uncles and aunties) lived in Indonesia for 2-3 years as young children in the 1960's due to my grandfather's work. My father even learned to speak Bahasa despite being a pupil in an British school along with his siblings. He has very fond memories of Indonesia and he remembers interacting with locals and playing football with them for hours at a day after school. My grandfather has many old antiquities from Indonesia such as swords, books, some old Noble Qur'ans, furniture etc. This is why I (and my family) are trying to follow developments in Indonesia. In fact my father has wanted to take me and my siblings to Indonesia as he has only been back since that time period once or twice and that was for a very short visit.

I am unfortunately yet to visit Indonesia but I hope that such a trip will occur so we can visit Jakarta, other areas of Java, Bali and Sumatra. Also I would like to visit more unknown areas of Indonesia such as Sulawesi and New Guinea.

I would pay this section more visits had there not been so much news from our region (good and bad - sadly too much bad news nowadays for my liking) but I am still keeping an eye from time to time. If not here then on the internet reading main news from Indonesia and South East Asia as a whole.

Oh, one of the earliest memories that my father can remember from Indonesia is that people were selling and serving murtabak as well.

Murtabak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:enjoy:

and at some village in Western Java, particularly near puncak Bogor hahahaha :p:

I dont know why so many Arab men are there........ :disagree:

Nice to meet you again btw.... :ashamed:

I hope that the vandals among them are behaving well. A few of those vandals should not be allowed to tarnish the opinion of the 450 million Arabs in Indonesia. It will even be bad publicity for the Arab-Indonesians I suspect.

Truth be told many are also traveling to South East Asia (Malaysia + Indonesia) to let some hot air out/have some fun in more liberal societies. Sometimes they take it too far but this is nothing compared to how many European and other tourists are behaving in South East Asia and especially Thailand.

Most are actually married couples or families visiting with their children.

I am sure as the economies of the non-GCC Arab states improve there will also be more tourists from other Arab countries. For example Iraq or Egypt etc.

@Indos @madokafc @Reashot Xigwin @prima99 am I right when I say that Sulawesi and New Guinea are particularly unspoiled areas of Indonesia for tourism, even domestic one?

As you know from our past discussions, my father and some of his younger siblings (my uncles and aunties) lived in Indonesia for 2-3 years as young children in the 1960's due to my grandfather's work. My father even learned to speak Bahasa despite being a pupil in an British school along with his siblings. He has very fond memories of Indonesia and he remembers interacting with locals and playing football with them for hours at a day after school. My grandfather has many old antiquities from Indonesia such as swords, books, some old Noble Qur'ans, furniture etc. This is why I (and my family) are trying to follow developments in Indonesia. In fact my father has wanted to take me and my siblings to Indonesia as he has only been back since that time period once or twice and that was for a very short visit.

I am unfortunately yet to visit Indonesia but I hope that such a trip will occur so we can visit Jakarta, other areas of Java, Bali and Sumatra. Also I would like to visit more unknown areas of Indonesia such as Sulawesi and New Guinea.

I would pay this section more visits had there not been so much news from our region (good and bad - sadly too much bad news nowadays for my liking) but I am still keeping an eye from time to time. If not here then on the internet reading main news from Indonesia and South East Asia as a whole.

Oh, one of the earliest memories that my father can remember from Indonesia is that people were selling and serving murtabak as well.

Murtabak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:enjoy:

Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan should have more stronger relationship to each other in the future. No doubt about that bro......:)

Java-centriism makes people blind about potential tourism places over the places. here are some of "underrated" places around the country

Kelimutu Mountain

Danau-Tiga-Warna.jpg

Anai Valley

lembah-anai-train.jpg

Sibolangit Waterfalls

air-terjun-sibolangit.jpg

Satonda Lake

Lake-Satonda.jpg

Tinggi Raja Crater Hot Spring

tinggi.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

Mursala Island

Nauli_Mursala_waterfalls1.jpg

12a42716674463232d1a251740b24728.jpg

and many more. these are just some miniscule infos than other wonders in Indonesia.

I hope that the vandals among them are behaving well. A few of those vandals should not be allowed to tarnish the opinion of the 450 million Arabs in Indonesia. It will even be bad publicity for the Arab-Indonesians I suspect.

Dont be worried friend, Arab-Indonesian has already been considered native in here. Some of our national heroes are actually Arab Indonesian. One national heroes from West Sumatra is an Arab Indonesian. Imam Bonjol, we have his face in our printed money.

Sekilas-tentang-Tuanku-Imam.jpg

We got one Arab Indonesian as minister, Anies Baswedan, he failed to be President last year

Anies-Baswedan.jpg

And as you know, foreign relation minister under Soeharto is always an Arab Indonesian

One of the best journalist in Indonesia is Arab Indonesian, Najwa Shihab
Najwa_Shihab:_Tips_Untuk_Pemilih_Pemula.jpg

Truth be told many are also traveling to South East Asia (Malaysia + Indonesia) to let some hot air out/have some fun in more liberal societies. Sometimes they take it too far but this is nothing compared to how many European and other tourists are behaving in South East Asia and especially Thailand.

Most are actually married couples or families visiting with their children.

I am sure as the economies of the non-GCC Arab states improve there will also be more tourists from other Arab countries. For example Iraq or Egypt etc.

@Indos @madokafc @Reashot Xigwin @prima99 am I right when I say that Sulawesi and New Guinea are particularly unspoiled areas of Indonesia for tourism, even domestic one?

well, not quite. the govt wants to centralize Bali as main tourist destination. they're working on Raja Ampat in Papua for scuba diving lovers as it has the richest ocean biodiversities. some pictures

slide07.jpg

dari-jakarta-ke-raja-ampat.jpg

the world views Indonesia as Beach resort island thanks to Bali. yet, if we were to show any other places around us, i bet they want to change their views. some of the World's Volcanos resides here too, like Mt. Tambora and Mt. Krakatau which is still active today

Dont be worried friend, Arab-Indonesian has already been considered native in here. Some of our national heroes are actually Arab Indonesian. One national heroes from West Sumatra is an Arab Indonesian. Imam Bonjol, we have his face in our printed money.

Sekilas-tentang-Tuanku-Imam.jpg

We got one Arab Indonesian as minister, Anies Baswedan, he failed to be President last year

Anies-Baswedan.jpg

And as you know, foreign relation minister under Soeharto is always an Arab Indonesian

One of the best journalist in Indonesia is Arab Indonesian, Najwa Shihab
Najwa_Shihab:_Tips_Untuk_Pemilih_Pemula.jpg

This pleases me. I will read about all 3. I can see that Tuanku Imam Bonjol is considered an national hero who lived a long life.

As you know already there are many respected and famous people of Indonesian origin in the Arab world especially on the Arabian Peninsula. Each GCC state has significant Indonesian communities but they are considered local today because they have been there for so long. Some for centuries even. Sometimes you can only see the relation to their old ancestral lands by their names but far from always.

Back
Top Bottom