What's new

India To Seek Home-built Replacement for Air Defense Guns

David James

BANNED
Reaction score
India To Seek Home-built Replacement for Air Defense Guns

NEW DELHI — The Indian Army will replace its aging Swedish-built 40mm L/70 air defense guns with weapons from domestic companies, a Defence Ministry source said, after the cancellation of a global tender floated last year that failed to elicit any response from overseas defense companies.

The MoD decided this month to float a $400 million domestic-only tender, the source said, to purchase 430 gun systems to replace the four-decade-old L/70 guns.

The 2013 tender was submitted to Israel Aerospace Industries, Thales, Bumar, Rosoboronexport and BAE Systems. While no executive from the overseas defense companies would respond, an MoD source said the companies did not respond to the tender because they found the program uneconomical.

An executive with private Indian firm Larsen & Toubro (L&T) said it would tie up with overseas defense companies to compete for the tender.

The tender, expected to be issued in three months, will go to state-owned Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL) and the Ordnance Factory Board, and to private-sector companies Tata Power SED, L&T, Punj Lloyd and Bharat Forge.

The new L/70 guns, which will be bought from local companies along with ammunition, will be used to protect areas of tactical importance in the mountains, plains, desert and semi-desert terrain.

The guns will be towed or mounted on a high-mobility vehicle, an Indian Army official said.

The new guns will be linked to advanced fire-control radars to automatically lock on to the target and signal the fire. The Army requires that the guns have the ability to engage air targets at a range of at least 4,000 meters and be capable of firing 1,000 rounds per minute.

The Army operates about 2,000 L/70s, bought in the 1960s from Sweden, and upgraded in 1995 by BEL by adding a digital fire-control system. The gun’s rate of fire was increased from 240 to 300 rounds per minute by the state-owned Defence Research and Development Organisation.

The Army has been pressing since 1997 for a full upgrade of the L/70s, including the addition of advanced radars, upgraded night-vision devices and the use of smart ammunition.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/...Replacement-Air-Defense-Guns?odyssey=nav|head

So again foreign air defence guns will be bought since the so called desi private companies can't do shit without 'ToT' from foreign defence contractors.So again imported guns will be inducted under an Indian name.But I am okay with that.

Only thing I would say that instead of decommissioning the venerable Bofors L70s,IA should transfer them into light artillery and infantry units to be used against enemy troop concentrations,unarmored and lightly armored vehicles and concrete pill boxes.These guns are immensely effective against concrete bunkers and we shouldn't let them vanish away just like that.

So again foreign air defence guns will be bought since the so called desi private companies can't do shit without 'ToT' from foreign defence contractors.So again imported guns will be inducted under an Indian name.But I am okay with that.

Only thing I would say that instead of decommissioning the venerable Bofors L70s,IA should transfer them into light artillery and infantry units to be used against enemy troop concentrations,unarmored and lightly armored vehicles and concrete pill boxes.These guns are immensely effective against concrete bunkers and we shouldn't let them vanish away just like that.
Well is the Indian companies haven't got the products to offer then what can you do? Not induct new AD Guns?? Clearly not....

These JVs are a good thing anyway, gets pvt companies with very little experience on the defence front some much needed exposure to such things and is a very good starting point to grow for the future.... Not to mention keeping some $$$ in India to be ploughed back into India.

Mount them on DRDO AGVs if possible.

Well is the Indian companies haven't got the products to offer then what can you do? Not induct new AD Guns?? Clearly not....

These JVs are a good thing anyway, gets pvt companies with very little experience on the defence front some much needed exposure to such things and is a very good starting point to grow for the future.... Not to mention keeping some $$$ in India to be ploughed back into India.

When did I say Indian Armed Forces shouldn't induct a air defence system??I said I was okay with it,just don't call them indigenous.

Atleast get this one project done with out any delay. I hope that after 1 year someone doesn't cancel the tender on account of cheating or kick backs

-npm

I forgot which company it was, but it was either TATA or L&T that showcased an upgraded version of the L/70 guns. Which seemed much better compared to the guns we are using right now, maybe we can upgrade it to the version till we find a better gun.

I forgot which company it was, but it was either TATA or L&T that showcased an upgraded version of the L/70 guns. Which seemed much better compared to the guns we are using right now, maybe we can upgrade it to the version till we find a better gun.

L&T has shown couple of upgraded AA guns.

icZ8io1.jpg

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Back
Top Bottom