What's new

India needs culture of honesty, just like China, says Infosys Founder Narayana Murthy; asks not to call him ‘anti-national’

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

India needs culture of honesty, just like China, says Infosys Founder Narayana Murthy; asks not to call him ‘anti-national’

Infosys Founder Narayana Murthy: “If we want the business people to stay only in India and do everything in India, I think they will be very happy to do so. All that we are respectfully requesting is that quick decisions must be taken, they must be implemented quickly and there should be no harassment, no unnecessary hurdle,” Murthy said.

Written by Tanya Krishna
February 24, 2023 12:22 IST
Follow Us
_dsc0417-sixteen_nine.jpg

Narayana Murthy warns againsed moonlighting: Infosys co-founder said that India needs to learn a culture of honesty, citing the example of China. Image: Reuters

NR Narayana Murthy said that India needs to learn a culture of honesty, citing the example of China. Comparing China’s stellar economic expansion with India’s much slower growth, Infosys co-founder Narayana Murthy said that despite being the same size as India in the late 1940s, China has grown to be six times the size of India because of the culture it has imbibed. “We need to build a culture of quick decision making, quick implementation, hassle less transactions, honesty in transactions, no favouritism,” Murthy said at Asia Economic Dialogue organised by the Ministry of External Affairs.

Such cultural attributes are the only common aspect joining all the developed countries, he added. “Only a small section works hard in the country and a majority of people have not imbibed the culture which is essential to fulfil the aspirations of Prime Minister Narendra Modi,” he said. However, in the same breath, Murthy sought to hedge his speech by asking not to call him ‘anti-national’, probably concerned with a possible backlash.

Murthy shared one of his experiences of setting up a facility in Shanghai in 2006. Highlighting the pace at which China works, he recalled that the mayor of the city allocated a 25 acre land parcel selected by him the day after it was selected. He maintained that India lacks this pace of movement due to corruption existing at lower levels.

“If we want the business people to stay only in India and do everything in India, I think they will be very happy to do so. All that we are respectfully requesting is that quick decisions must be taken, they must be implemented quickly and there should be no harassment, no unnecessary hurdle,” Murthy said, adding that corruption is existent at lower levels, but those at higher levels are honest.

Further, in a message to youngsters, Murthy said that they should not indulge in moonlighting or insistence on working from home. “My fervent desire and humble desire to youngsters is please don’t fall into this trap of – ‘I will moonlight, I will do work from home, I will come to office three days in a week’,” he said.

The Infosys co-founder reiterated that India has tasted some success for the first time in 300 years and that Indians need to consolidate on the little success achieved and “aim for bigger success”. He concluded, “There is no country in the world which has enhanced its prosperity, achieved economic progress and earned the respect of the world without working hard… Anybody who has told you that work ethics are not important, hard work is not important and laziness is good, they are not your well-wishers.”

Infosys Founder Narayana Murthy: “If we want the business people to stay only in India and do everything in India, I think they will be very happy to do so. All that we are respectfully requesting is that quick decisions must be taken, they must be implemented quickly and there should be no harassment, no unnecessary hurdle,” Murthy said.

Written by Tanya Krishna
February 24, 2023 12:22 IST
Follow Us
_dsc0417-sixteen_nine.jpg

Narayana Murthy warns againsed moonlighting: Infosys co-founder said that India needs to learn a culture of honesty, citing the example of China. Image: Reuters

NR Narayana Murthy said that India needs to learn a culture of honesty, citing the example of China. Comparing China’s stellar economic expansion with India’s much slower growth, Infosys co-founder Narayana Murthy said that despite being the same size as India in the late 1940s, China has grown to be six times the size of India because of the culture it has imbibed. “We need to build a culture of quick decision making, quick implementation, hassle less transactions, honesty in transactions, no favouritism,” Murthy said at Asia Economic Dialogue organised by the Ministry of External Affairs.

Such cultural attributes are the only common aspect joining all the developed countries, he added. “Only a small section works hard in the country and a majority of people have not imbibed the culture which is essential to fulfil the aspirations of Prime Minister Narendra Modi,” he said. However, in the same breath, Murthy sought to hedge his speech by asking not to call him ‘anti-national’, probably concerned with a possible backlash.

Murthy shared one of his experiences of setting up a facility in Shanghai in 2006. Highlighting the pace at which China works, he recalled that the mayor of the city allocated a 25 acre land parcel selected by him the day after it was selected. He maintained that India lacks this pace of movement due to corruption existing at lower levels.

“If we want the business people to stay only in India and do everything in India, I think they will be very happy to do so. All that we are respectfully requesting is that quick decisions must be taken, they must be implemented quickly and there should be no harassment, no unnecessary hurdle,” Murthy said, adding that corruption is existent at lower levels, but those at higher levels are honest.

Further, in a message to youngsters, Murthy said that they should not indulge in moonlighting or insistence on working from home. “My fervent desire and humble desire to youngsters is please don’t fall into this trap of – ‘I will moonlight, I will do work from home, I will come to office three days in a week’,” he said.

The Infosys co-founder reiterated that India has tasted some success for the first time in 300 years and that Indians need to consolidate on the little success achieved and “aim for bigger success”. He concluded, “There is no country in the world which has enhanced its prosperity, achieved economic progress and earned the respect of the world without working hard… Anybody who has told you that work ethics are not important, hard work is not important and laziness is good, they are not your well-wishers.”

Now a days, compa like TCS are facing unique challenges... People now used to work from home, and also exploring other options to earn and do some plan that secure their future life i.e business and other things.

Since IT sector has limited scope after the people age of 45 years, people usually worry about their future.

Now actually, no one wants to come to the on regularly 😜, max 2-3 day days in a week........ It is very tough time for these companies.... Employees are not dishonest or cheaters but private employees are taking some advantage.... nothing wrong if you ask to me. Many engineers have done years of hard work, might they never get the opportunities for 2nd option, but work from home culture given that and they have rights to find the better way for their future

Last edited:
India needs to be a one party state, just like China

if it wants to compete with China.

Back
Top Bottom