Country
Bangladesh

Ilisha-1 in Bhola declared Bangladesh's 29th gas field​

Ilisha-1 is located some 182km away from capital Dhaka​

Photo: Collected
" style="box-sizing: inherit; outline: none; cursor: pointer;">

Ilisha-1 in Bhola district has been announced as the country's 29th gas field where a big reserve of gas was discovered following recent exploration efforts.

"We believe, Ilisha-1 has a reserve of 200 billion cubic feet (bcf) of gas. The entire Bhola area, including this one, has a reserve of 3 trillion cubic feet (tcf) of gas," State Minister for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Nasrul Hamid told reporters while briefing at his residence in Dhaka on Monday (22 May) while announcing the formal discovery of the gas field.
He said this has been big good news for the people of the country.

Ilisha-1 is located in a union in the Bhola district, some 182km away from the capital.
On 8 March this year, Ilisha-1 excavation started in the Maler Hat area of Ilisha union in Bhola Sadar upazila and the drilling was completed successfully on 24 April through the Drill Stem Test in three levels at a depth of 3,475 metres.

The state minister said earlier gas was found in different wells under the Bhola north and Bhola south structures.

He said a plan is being prepared to bring gas from the entire Bhola area to Dhaka through a pipeline where many industries are facing a nagging crisis.

A pre-feasibility was conducted about the pipeline and now work is underway for conducting a feasibility study on the issue, he noted.

Nasrul said it will take about three years to bring the gas from Bhola to Dhaka through a pipeline.
But initially, he said, a private company has signed a contract to bring a total of 25mmcfd gas from Bhola through a big trailer. Primarily, it will start with 5mmcfd transportation.

He said the government has plans to create a ring fence of pipeline covering Bhola, Barishal, and Dhaka to use the gas for this region while another ring fence will be created covering Dhaka, Sylhet and other districts.
He said the commercial value of gas in Bhola will be Tk6,500 crore if calculated in local value and Tk26,000 crore in the value of the gas being imported.
Nasrul said the Ilisha -1 gas field's discovery was announced after the completion of necessary drilling and other works.
Currently, about 2,300mmcfd gas is being produced from 22 gas fields in the country, while about 700mmcfd gas is being imported from abroad to meet the demand of about 4,000mmcfd, leaving a deficit of about 1,000mmcfd.
Apart from Ilisha-2, the two Bhola gas fields have around 200mmcf production capacity, while the production hovers between 80-85mmcf.
Therefore, around 120mmcf surplus capacity remains unused in the eight wells of the Shahbazpur and Bhola gas fields.
Due to the lack of pipeline and transmission facilities, the government was unable to supply the surplus gas from the Bhola field to other energy-hungry industrial zones in Dhaka and elsewhere.

A geologist once told me, "You drill anywhere in Bangladesh, you will get gas - the country is floating on gas!"

But the issue is what will happen when you start drilling everywhere?

Will the country deflate like a huge balloon and collapse in on itself?

We are already lower than sea level in many areas like Holland.

We will see a lot more watery areas.

Maybe we should prepare for this.

A geologist once told me, "You drill anywhere in Bangladesh, you will get gas - the country is floating on gas!"

The vast Indian plate, minus Bengal but plus Sylhet, moved north by breaking away from the Gondwana plate to hit the Asian plate that created the Himalaya and the Tibetan Plateu taking hundreds of millions of years.

Most part of Bengal/ Bangladesh was under a deep Sea. Trillions of planktons, insects, fish and others in the Sea die every second.

It is a daily phenomenon. All lives are energy they get from the heat of our Sun. When they die in the Seas, they start decaying and layers of silts coming down from the Himalayas cover them.

Taking millions of years, these uncountable tiny dead bodies are being processed to transform into fossil fuels like oil and gas.

This is how Bangladesh and the BoB have natural gas. There is certainly oil deposits that are lying more in deep.

All the fossil deposits have the similar background. This includes the fuel deposits in the ME. There is certainly no fear of soil being collapsing down because of oil/ gas explorations.

But, then you should worry more about Dhaka being gradually collapsing due to WASA pumping up water all the time. BD’s underground water is poisonous unfit for human consumption.

So, WASA should use surface/ river water coming down from the Himalayas which is not arsenic.
This is how you can protect Dhaka from collapsing.

Last edited:
Those lands actually we reclaimed from Bay of Bengal. Otherwise it is not possible for coastal areas to be below sea level but remain dry. Government built some small scale cross dam to reclaim 42 sq. miles of area so far. But there are some big plan to reclaim a lot of land in future under 'Delta plan 2100' project.

Land reclamation from sea has become common in many countries nowadays, with China topping the list by reclaiming 4,600 square miles and Bangladesh holding the seventh spot globally with 42 square miles, according to the World Atlas.

Last edited:

The gas is trapped b/w rocks, please ask your geologist friend to take tuitions from my cousin who studies in 7th grade.
Deflate... Wtf :lol:

The gas is trapped b/w rocks, please ask your geologist friend to take tuitions from my cousin who studies in 7th grade.
Deflate... Wtf :lol:
A person asks a question or wants to know about something, and you answer it to humiliate him as if you yourself is a great Hindian Pundit.

Better learn and send new and correct information unlike a Primary student. Bloody idiot!!!

Last edited:
A person asks a question or wants to know about something, and you answer it to humiliate him as if you yourself is a great Hindian Pundit.

Better learn and send new and correct information unlike a Primary student. Bloody idiot!!!
malum.jpeg

Hindian, it is not your fart which is trapped between two large parabolic stones.

How long Indians will remain talk only?

I did not grace his post with an answer - waste of time.

You and I both know that one can drill in most of Bangladesh down to half a mile and not find any rocks.

It is all sediment and soft sediment at that. But who is going to teach these people?

Sheesh !!

What is happening to BD gas exploration. It is already more than two decades people came to know about Bhopal gas. But, instead of exploring it, the govt started to import LMG from the ME when a shortage gas was felt.

Every few months, I read some positive news on the Bhola gas. Then it stops. I believe the present news is another of many repeated news and nothing substantive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom