‘I competed with the belief that I would win’

Zibago

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
573cd86e387d4.jpg

Nabila Rayaz, a 17-year-old sprinter, won the sole gold medal for Azad Kashmir in the recent Quaid-i-Azam Games.

Ms Rayaz is an amateur athlete from Bhimber, Azad Kashmir. There are no proper sports facilities where she grew up, not even a running track.

These obstacles did not deter Ms Rayaz, who – along with many other women athletes – went on to not only participate in the games, but also brought home the only gold medal for AJK, in the 400 long jump.

Dawn caught up with Ms Rayaz to talk about her win.

Q: How you were received in AJK after your achievement? How did your family and friends react?

A: My family and friends received me warmly; people from the sports board also encouraged and supported me. Now, I’m being told that a ceremony will be organised to honour me. As far as my parents are concerned, they are happy, I’m especially thankful to my father, who allowed me to participate in the Quaid-i-Azam Games.

Q: What attracted you to the sport?

A: Since my childhood I had an interest in games, particularly in races and jumps. But the real force behind my success is my school principal, who supported me and asked me to participate in the Quaid-i-Azam Games because the sports board had contacted school principal. She is also supporting other girls to participate in sports, which is an encouraging.

Q: How are the sports facilities in your hometown?

A: Well, there are no proper sports facilities in my region. There are no running tracks, let alone other sports facilities. But let me tell you one thing, our region is full of talent. If we are provided with sports facilities, we can bring laurels for AJK and Pakistan as well, after participating at international events.

Q. What do you have planned for the future?

A: As far as my future is concerned, I want to become a professional athlete. Nowadays, I’m waiting for my matriculation results. After that, I will [go to] college, where I will have more opportunities to participate in games. I believe girls are equally talented as boys, so at the later stages I will try to become a professional athlete because I have a dream of participating in the Asian and Olympic games.
http://www.dawn.com/news/1259251/
I hope she inspires more young people from our region to participate actively in national level sports
@Shamain @django

573cd86e387d4.jpg

Nabila Rayaz, a 17-year-old sprinter, won the sole gold medal for Azad Kashmir in the recent Quaid-i-Azam Games.

Ms Rayaz is an amateur athlete from Bhimber, Azad Kashmir. There are no proper sports facilities where she grew up, not even a running track.

These obstacles did not deter Ms Rayaz, who – along with many other women athletes – went on to not only participate in the games, but also brought home the only gold medal for AJK, in the 400 long jump.

Dawn caught up with Ms Rayaz to talk about her win.

Q: How you were received in AJK after your achievement? How did your family and friends react?

A: My family and friends received me warmly; people from the sports board also encouraged and supported me. Now, I’m being told that a ceremony will be organised to honour me. As far as my parents are concerned, they are happy, I’m especially thankful to my father, who allowed me to participate in the Quaid-i-Azam Games.

Q: What attracted you to the sport?

A: Since my childhood I had an interest in games, particularly in races and jumps. But the real force behind my success is my school principal, who supported me and asked me to participate in the Quaid-i-Azam Games because the sports board had contacted school principal. She is also supporting other girls to participate in sports, which is an encouraging.

Q: How are the sports facilities in your hometown?

A: Well, there are no proper sports facilities in my region. There are no running tracks, let alone other sports facilities. But let me tell you one thing, our region is full of talent. If we are provided with sports facilities, we can bring laurels for AJK and Pakistan as well, after participating at international events.

Q. What do you have planned for the future?

A: As far as my future is concerned, I want to become a professional athlete. Nowadays, I’m waiting for my matriculation results. After that, I will [go to] college, where I will have more opportunities to participate in games. I believe girls are equally talented as boys, so at the later stages I will try to become a professional athlete because I have a dream of participating in the Asian and Olympic games.
http://www.dawn.com/news/1259251/
I hope she inspires more young people from our region to participate actively in national level sports
@Shamain @django
Bhimber is the place Ilyas Kashmiri was from....I think.

I thought he was from Muzafarabad
God knows, I have read he is a chib from bhimber, a raja from Kotli, now you have mentioned muzzafrabad, he was a very a audacious warrior, no question about it whether one agrees or disagrees with him.

God knows, I have read he is a chib from bhimber, a raja from Kotli, now you have mentioned muzzafrabad, he was a very a audacious warrior, no question about it whether one agrees or disagrees with him.
jonah arthur know a lot about him
Have you heard his story about how he beheaded Indian army who raped girls?

jonah arthur know a lot about him
Have you heard his story about how he beheaded Indian army who raped girls?
I know of the one were he is alleged to have beheaded a Indian Brigadier, and shot dead Maj Gen Alvi former head of SSG.

Alright. Well done. Bringing pride to not only AJK but to us as well. No doubt that AJK GB have great sporting potential that remains untapped ( balochistan as well along with kpk) and the federal govt along with the provincial and regional govt ( in case of ajk their govt) should invest heavily to tap the sporting potential of the nation. Despite having weak facilities we were a sporting force in the 70s,80s,90s but we have deteriorated thanks to the poor implementation of the system and are in a free fall. These athletes and players we produce are not bcz of the system but despite of it. We can be a force to he reckoned with a proper sporting infrastructure...

Is this a real girl? Because she kind of looks like a boy. Anyways, didn't mean to criticize anyone's looks just wanted to share my observation.

Back
Top Bottom