What's new

How Istanbul won back its crown as heart of the Muslim world

dBSPL

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
While Turkey stands accused of domestic repression, its largest city is increasingly seen as a beacon for the persecuted

Bethan McKernan Last modified on Mon 20 Apr 2020 20.29 BST
5472.jpg

Aerial view of the Süleymaniye mosque in Istanbul. Photograph: Anadolu Agency/via Getty Images

Aruined yalı, or Bosphorus mansion, is still standing on the shore of the largest island of the Istanbul archipelago. The roof is long gone and the once manicured gardens have colonised its insides, but in better days it was the magnificent home of Leon Trotsky, who fled to Constantinople after his exile from the Soviet Union in 1929.

Trotsky arrived during the turbulent birth of modern Turkey. While the new republic sought to rid itself of Armenians, Greeks and other “undesirable” populations, at the same time Istanbul was opening its arms to White Russians, disillusioned Bolsheviks and African American jazz musicians. Later in the 20th century, intellectuals and dissidents from Germany and the Balkans would add to the diversity of a city that has always stood at the world’s crossroads.

A similar dynamic is playing out in Turkey today. On the one hand, domestic opposition to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government is met with disproportionate force, and journalists, human rights activists and Kurdish politicians languish in prison on terrorism charges. Yet on the other, Istanbul has become a beacon of safety for persecuted people across the Muslim world. Here, Uighur refugees practise their faith freely; young Saudis and Iranians dance the night away; and Arab activists displaced by the Arab Spring still raise their voices against the regimes they fled at home.

“Turkey is increasingly looking eastward, away from its Nato partners, to its old sphere of influence during the Ottoman Empire,” said Mohanad Hage Ali, a fellow at the Carnegie Middle East Center. “Its cultural influence can be seen all over the Middle East today: there are new Arabic translations of Turkish poets, and novels about the city coming out in Arabic. Over the last two decades we’ve seen a strong cultural bridge form.”

While the Arab world used to centre around the cultural output of Cairo in the 1950s and Beirut in the 1970s, today most look to Istanbul’s screen stars. When Ramadan begins on Thursday, people across the Middle East are looking forward to a month of reruns of beloved Turkish television shows – dramatic tales of sultans and harem girls and soapy modern love stories.

3469.jpg

Nobel peace prize winner Tawakkol Karman, of Yemen, during a protest over the murder of Jamal Khashoggi outside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in 2018. Photograph: Murad Sezer/Reuters

The old political fervour of Cairo and Beirut has relocated to Istanbul, too. The city of 17 million people is now home to an estimated 2 million Arabs, who have opened coffee shops, book stores, theatre and media companies, and joined the staff of universities. Thanks to Turkey’s generous visa system and location as a transport hub, it is easier for families scattered across the world to meet in Istanbul than elsewhere.

The Arab Media Association of Istanbul numbers 850 journalists, including Yemeni Nobelpeace prize winner Tawakkol Karman and Egyptian Ayman Nour, a former politician who fled after the 2013 coup that bought President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi to power. Both now run opposition television stations.

“Istanbul revitalised the Arab Spring in a way no other place could,” said Labib al-Nahhas, a senior member of the Syrian political opposition. “The city has provided Arabs and Muslims the opportunity to meet face to face and freely share their experiences, hopes and visions.”

Welcoming Muslim exiles – in particular those with ties to the Muslim Brotherhood – is a high priority for Erdoğan’s government, which likes to showcase its particular flavour of political Islam.

“Istanbul is certainly now the Muslim Brotherhood hub, but there are also so many other Arab political streams present in the city,” said Hage Ali. “In fact, the exposure to other types of thinking and the experience of a cosmopolitan city means people sometimes end up leaving the Brotherhood and becoming more liberal.”

Istanbul’s beauty and the city’s palpable sense of history have long inspired writers across the Islamic world. For Yasmine Seale, a French-Syrian writer and translator, there is no better place: “Seeing the Bosphorus every day. Hearing Arabic. The persistence of small trades and slow crafts. The generosity and humanity of neighbourhood life. Anglosphere literary scenes seem self-absorbed at this remove,” she said. “It’s good to let the world in.”

864.jpg

Egyptian cinematographer Ahmed Hassan in the 2013 documentary The Square. Photograph: Noujaim Films

Yet adapting to Turkish life can pose challenges: foreigners often find the fiercely patriotic national identity inaccessible, and racism against Arabs is widespread. Many people in Istanbul’s diaspora population prefer to see themselves as exiles, rather than immigrants.

Ahmed Hassan, a cinematographer who worked on The Square, an acclaimed documentary about Egypt’s 2011 revolution, moved to Istanbul from Cairo two years ago, but has found the racism and barriers to journalistic work hard to deal with. “I think of Istanbul like a beautiful watermelon,” he said. “It’s lovely and green, and on the inside a beautiful dark red. But when you bite, it has no taste. I’m still waiting to taste the sugar.”

Turkey’s internal instability and financial woes, as well as the murders of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018 and Iranian dissident Masoud Molavi Vardanjani last year, are also reminders for diaspora populations that Istanbul is not always as safe as it seems.

In a unique example of Istanbullu juxtaposition, across the water from the ruins of Trotsky’s mansion on Büyükada, Abdullah Öcalan, one of the founders of the militant Kurdistan Workers’ party (PKK), is serving life as the only prisoner on İmralı island. Seen as a terrorist by Turkey, the UK and other western nations.

“Istanbul’s cultural and political melting pot is a novel experiment, and while Turkish cultural influence is a good thing for the Turkish state, they only have so much control over it,” said Hage Ali. “We will have to wait and see the impact the ‘Istanbul effect’ will have on the region.”

Support the Guardian from as little as €1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...n-back-its-crown-as-heart-of-the-muslim-world

https://twitter.com/mck_beth

Last edited:
While Turkey stands accused of domestic repression, its largest city is increasingly seen as a beacon for the persecuted

Bethan McKernan Last modified on Mon 20 Apr 2020 20.29 BST
5472.jpg

Aerial view of the Süleymaniye mosque in Istanbul. Photograph: Anadolu Agency/via Getty Images

Aruined yalı, or Bosphorus mansion, is still standing on the shore of the largest island of the Istanbul archipelago. The roof is long gone and the once manicured gardens have colonised its insides, but in better days it was the magnificent home of Leon Trotsky, who fled to Constantinople after his exile from the Soviet Union in 1929.

Trotsky arrived during the turbulent birth of modern Turkey. While the new republic sought to rid itself of Armenians, Greeks and other “undesirable” populations, at the same time Istanbul was opening its arms to White Russians, disillusioned Bolsheviks and African American jazz musicians. Later in the 20th century, intellectuals and dissidents from Germany and the Balkans would add to the diversity of a city that has always stood at the world’s crossroads.

A similar dynamic is playing out in Turkey today. On the one hand, domestic opposition to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government is met with disproportionate force, and journalists, human rights activists and Kurdish politicians languish in prison on terrorism charges. Yet on the other, Istanbul has become a beacon of safety for persecuted people across the Muslim world. Here, Uighur refugees practise their faith freely; young Saudis and Iranians dance the night away; and Arab activists displaced by the Arab Spring still raise their voices against the regimes they fled at home.

“Turkey is increasingly looking eastward, away from its Nato partners, to its old sphere of influence during the Ottoman Empire,” said Mohanad Hage Ali, a fellow at the Carnegie Middle East Center. “Its cultural influence can be seen all over the Middle East today: there are new Arabic translations of Turkish poets, and novels about the city coming out in Arabic. Over the last two decades we’ve seen a strong cultural bridge form.”

While the Arab world used to centre around the cultural output of Cairo in the 1950s and Beirut in the 1970s, today most look to Istanbul’s screen stars. When Ramadan begins on Thursday, people across the Middle East are looking forward to a month of reruns of beloved Turkish television shows – dramatic tales of sultans and harem girls and soapy modern love stories.

3469.jpg

Nobel peace prize winner Tawakkol Karman, of Yemen, during a protest over the murder of Jamal Khashoggi outside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in 2018. Photograph: Murad Sezer/Reuters

The old political fervour of Cairo and Beirut has relocated to Istanbul, too. The city of 17 million people is now home to an estimated 2 million Arabs, who have opened coffee shops, book stores, theatre and media companies, and joined the staff of universities. Thanks to Turkey’s generous visa system and location as a transport hub, it is easier for families scattered across the world to meet in Istanbul than elsewhere.

The Arab Media Association of Istanbul numbers 850 journalists, including Yemeni Nobelpeace prize winner Tawakkol Karman and Egyptian Ayman Nour, a former politician who fled after the 2013 coup that bought President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi to power. Both now run opposition television stations.

“Istanbul revitalised the Arab Spring in a way no other place could,” said Labib al-Nahhas, a senior member of the Syrian political opposition. “The city has provided Arabs and Muslims the opportunity to meet face to face and freely share their experiences, hopes and visions.”

Welcoming Muslim exiles – in particular those with ties to the Muslim Brotherhood – is a high priority for Erdoğan’s government, which likes to showcase its particular flavour of political Islam.

“Istanbul is certainly now the Muslim Brotherhood hub, but there are also so many other Arab political streams present in the city,” said Hage Ali. “In fact, the exposure to other types of thinking and the experience of a cosmopolitan city means people sometimes end up leaving the Brotherhood and becoming more liberal.”

Istanbul’s beauty and the city’s palpable sense of history have long inspired writers across the Islamic world. For Yasmine Seale, a French-Syrian writer and translator, there is no better place: “Seeing the Bosphorus every day. Hearing Arabic. The persistence of small trades and slow crafts. The generosity and humanity of neighbourhood life. Anglosphere literary scenes seem self-absorbed at this remove,” she said. “It’s good to let the world in.”

864.jpg

Egyptian cinematographer Ahmed Hassan in the 2013 documentary The Square. Photograph: Noujaim Films

Yet adapting to Turkish life can pose challenges: foreigners often find the fiercely patriotic national identity inaccessible, and racism against Arabs is widespread. Many people in Istanbul’s diaspora population prefer to see themselves as exiles, rather than immigrants.

Ahmed Hassan, a cinematographer who worked on The Square, an acclaimed documentary about Egypt’s 2011 revolution, moved to Istanbul from Cairo two years ago, but has found the racism and barriers to journalistic work hard to deal with. “I think of Istanbul like a beautiful watermelon,” he said. “It’s lovely and green, and on the inside a beautiful dark red. But when you bite, it has no taste. I’m still waiting to taste the sugar.”

Turkey’s internal instability and financial woes, as well as the murders of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018 and Iranian dissident Masoud Molavi Vardanjani last year, are also reminders for diaspora populations that Istanbul is not always as safe as it seems.

In a unique example of Istanbullu juxtaposition, across the water from the ruins of Trotsky’s mansion on Büyükada, Abdullah Öcalan, one of the founders of the militant Kurdistan Workers’ party (PKK), is serving life as the only prisoner on İmralı island. Seen as a terrorist by Turkey, the UK and other western nations.

“Istanbul’s cultural and political melting pot is a novel experiment, and while Turkish cultural influence is a good thing for the Turkish state, they only have so much control over it,” said Hage Ali. “We will have to wait and see the impact the ‘Istanbul effect’ will have on the region.”

Support the Guardian from as little as €1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...n-back-its-crown-as-heart-of-the-muslim-world

https://twitter.com/mck_beth
The day that the centre of Muslim world shifted to House of Saud in Riyad was the day the ummah was finished. If Istanbul ever rises to it's past glory as capital of the Muslim world I will change my opinion about the ummah as a concept.

I sincerely hope it does. Istanbul is one of not the greatest city on earth. I intend to buy a retirement home in this magical city.

The day that the centre of Muslim world shifted to House of Saud in Riyad was the day the ummah was finished. If Istanbul ever rises to it's past glory as capital of the Muslim world I will change my opinion about the ummah as a concept.

I sincerely hope it does. Istanbul is one of not the greatest city on earth. I intend to buy a retirement home in this magical city.

my uncle lives near there with a new Turkish wife, they are both retired engineers. a very comfortable life.

Ummah just means followers of Mohammed. Ummah is never meant to be used alone, it is Ummat-Mohammed. Has nothing to do with politics of modern nation states. You can have your preferences as you wish and Muslim nation states will continue competing over influence of Muslim world but it has nothing to do with Islam, practicing Islam or Ummah concept.

This article has too much mistakes feto isn’t domestic opposition and mesopotamia monkeys aren’t definitely journalists or politicians at best they can be called subhumans

This article has too much mistakes feto isn’t domestic opposition and mesopotamia monkeys aren’t definitely journalists or politicians at best they can be called subhumans
I know. The Guardian has an editorially anti-TR structure. Nevertheless, it is an article describing how they see socio-cultural/political issues in the Middle East in recent years.

I know. The Guardian has an editorially anti-TR structure. Nevertheless, it is an article describing how they see socio-cultural/political issues in the Middle East in recent years.
Certainly having the arab opposition in Turkey is an asset against arab regimes but I don’t like the numbe of 2 milion arabs in istanbul(of course we take it as correct)

While respecting Istanbul and its historical significance and blessed with countless natural beauty. You might try to buy a retirement home or investment more closer to home in pakistan. That would help your own country.

It is not just the Guardian. Every western media out there is making anti-Turkish propagandas. Just a couple of months ago members here were creating discussions with such fake western propagandas. So, it is known for sure that no M.Eastern or Western media can be quoted as a source, but unfortunately we can't tell that to the Eurojerks and Ar*b trolls in here.

Been there twice. Its a beautiful city rich in culture and steeped in glorious history. Its a very strange mix of eastern and western culture. I have been to many countries but Istanbul has a unique flavor. And people of Turkey are very warm towards Pakistanis.

While respecting Istanbul and its historical significance and blessed with countless natural beauty. You might try to buy a retirement home or investment more closer to home in pakistan. That would help your own country.
I already have a ancestral 'home' in Pakistan including land in our village. I am of simple village stock originally. That will remain so although I intend to sell most of the agricultural land because it's not like I am going to do farming and neither is my kids. The ancestral home will remain as link to my ancestors and place for my offspring to stay. It is after all a physical link to my family and people in Pakistan. That will remain so.

However for retirement I need a place that is as developed as UK as possible but has a nice climate and eastern vibe. Turkey is the perfect place. Not only is it half way between UK and Pakistan but more importantly it is in sync with my views.

Turks have the perfect mix of modernity and tradition which is a balance between western and traditional values. In that sense it is at exactly the evolution where I am. I am perfectly happy with huges doses of westernism which I have happly adopted and feel comfortable with. On the other hand I retain certain traditional values. Turkey as country occupies exactly same social evolution as my views.

Where Pakistan is too traitional at point of being ignorant and backward with a very annoying hatred/aversion to westernism and UK is too loose and modern. Turkey hits the happy spot. At peace with both west and balanced with slight dose of tradition.

Pakistan will be where Turkey is one day. In about one or two generations but alas I am not going to bve around to see that. Thanks to mad mullahs and their supporters the country will move forward at snail pace. Unfortunately !

Turkey are very warm towards Pakistanis.
Thats another potent factor. I could choose any EU country like Spain, Italy, Portugal or even Greece. But Turkey wins.
`

I already have a ancestral 'home' in Pakistan including land in our village. I am of simple village stock originally. That will remain so although I intend to sell most of the agricultural land because it's not like I am going to do farming and neither is my kids. The ancestral home will remain as link to my ancestors and place for my offspring to stay. It is after all a physical link to my family and people in Pakistan. That will remain so.

However for retirement I need a place that is as developed as UK as possible but has a nice climate and eastern vibe. Turkey is the perfect place. Not only is it half way between UK and Pakistan but more importantly it is in sync with my views.

Turks have the perfect mix of modernity and tradition which is a balance between western and traditional values. In that sense it is at exactly the evolution where I am. I am perfectly happy with huges doses of westernism which I have happly adopted and feel comfortable with. On the other hand I retain certain traditional values. Turkey as country occupies exactly same social evolution as my views.

Where Pakistan is too traitional at point of being ignorant and backward with a very annoying hatred/aversion to westernism and UK is too loose and modern. Turkey hits the happy spot. At peace with both west and balanced with slight dose of tradition.

Pakistan will be where Turkey is one day. In about one or two generations but alas I am not going to bve around to see that. Thanks to mad mullahs and their supporters the country will move forward at snail pace. Unfortunately !

Thats another potent factor. I could choose any EU country like Spain, Italy, Portugal or even Greece. But Turkey wins.
`

I have aversions towards a lot of the Turkish policies but I think you hit the nail on that it's a balance of both worlds Pakistan will change just probably when I am old as you lol

There have been many songs and poems about that city but this is my favourite for some reason. :D

Edit: holy sh*t its from 2004 o_O im getting old :cry:

I think ppl miss out on the other cities of Turkey. E.g konya, bursa, izmir, and urfa. :)

Back
Top Bottom