What's new

‘Honour killings could be curbed by raising literacy’

Veeru

BANNED
Reaction score
‘Honour killings could be curbed by raising literacy’

By Asghar Azad

KARACHI: Allah Bakhsh Lashari, a researcher, human rights activist and an advocate of the Sindh High Court (SHC) said that the only viable solution to eliminate the menace of karo-kari (honour killing) lies in raising literacy rate, disregarding early-age marriages and registering FIRs of its cases under the Anti Terrorism Act (ATA).

In an interview with Daily Times, he said that the honour killing was not only the issue of Sindh province but other provinces of the country were also affected by it. “Actually honour killing is not the aboriginal tradition of Sindh but fact is that it came from other areas of this region through migration of people before the British Rule. This menace is most commonly planned killing of a girl or a woman committed by her brother, father or group of males,” he said.

To a query about his research, Lashari said, he had seen from his childhood a very dark picture of that tradition of the society and when he reached at the stage of literacy and became mature, he was gravely concerned over the honour killing menace after which he intended to conduct a research on that menace.

“He want to put emphasis on challenges and responses after an incident of honour killing. He has attempted to provide a panacea for social justice or change. The purpose of this study is to explore fundamental human rights, violation of law and the religious education about the issue, he added.

Lashari said he conducted in-depth and an open-ended interviews in Jacobabad district with people representing a variety of communities about this notorious tradition. He informed about the results of his study and said: “It was understood throughout the case study that the honour killing is the violation of fundamental human rights, which is totally contradictory behavior in the society.”

He said: “According to moral point of view, the honour killing is totally against the moral characteristics of any society and is also the violation of political rights as well as the freedom of expression. It is the violation of law and is a crime in the language of criminology as well as penology besides being a disease for sociological characteristics of individuals which is against Islamic education.”

The honour killing is the historical phenomena existing in the societies, especially in Pakistani society and is also the violation of the international laws, he said

“This tradition prevails in Pakistan, particularly in Sindh, Balochistan and southern Punjab. According to the Pakistan Penal Code 1860, it is ‘Qatl-i-Amd’ and punishable under the section 302,” Lashari concluded.

Allah Bakhsh Lashari is an advocate by profession and is also a human rights activist belonging to district Jacobabad, Sindh. He passed Masters Degree in Sociology (Criminology) from the University of Karachi in 2009.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

That term "honor killing" is really pathetic. Only barbarians participate in such animal activities.

I think we need ask any government to set up punishment to those "honor killing" carriers/criminals as humiliating as possible.

One suggestion is to have their balls cut off publicly for their "honor killing" crime, and let them bleed to death and eaten by birds and insects.

Why not legalize it? It is Sindh's thousands-years-old culture after all (Z. Mirza ref. about feudal shylocks).

I can bet you a thousand bucks.. that even if you turn a complete family into PhD's.. there would still be honour killings..
It has to do with the culture.. and not the education.. the culture needs to be refined further.. and that can only be done by massive.. i repeat massive public punishment.

Recently .. an MBA returned from NJ.. broke his pregnant wife's back with an iron rod.. and then did not allow her to mention it to the doctor.. and kept insisting she was mentally unstable.
The fellow belonged to an upstart family.. but schooled nonetheless.

Punishment should be awarded to whoever commit such crime.

I can bet you a thousand bucks.. that even if you turn a complete family into PhD's.. there would still be honour killings..
It has to do with the culture.. and not the education.. the culture needs to be refined further.. and that can only be done by massive.. i repeat massive public punishment.

Recently .. an MBA returned from NJ.. broke his pregnant wife's back with an iron rod.. and then did not allow her to mention it to the doctor.. and kept insisting she was mentally unstable.

Just by educating ppl that women , or man can equaly choose who they will wed -

Quite agree with that. As long as the culture is there, no matter what we do, these things would happen. People most of the time do commit this horrific crime because they would be in a huge pressure from the judgemntal society. For the fear of being judged by the others, they do this crime.

How come when a western person kills his wife-girlfriend its always a "crime of passion" but not honour killing?

How come when a western person kills his wife-girlfriend its always a "crime of passion" but not honour killing?

end of the day it is both the same thing and crime, no matter what name you will give to them.

end of the day it is both the same thing and crime, no matter what name you will give to them.

I agree........its straight out murder ,but you do see how the label "honour killing" is some how exclusive to south asian and this gives a more negative spin then the label of "crimes of passion".

US.....sharpshooter
Muslim....sniper

US....collatral damage
muslim....innocents murdered.........i thinks noam chormsky sums it up best in his books!

Because the media is run by them and they use the words suited for their own agendas. its time we should start using it for them as well.

if you have scanned the Indian media they are also not calling such killings among Indians as honour killings but when it comes to Pakistan. Afghanistan or any Muslim country they use this word honour killing

kiling is a murder and there is punishment for murder...
The only problem is the corrupt judiciary.
Our political judiciary is a parasite... only sucking blood of nation.

Back
Top Bottom