What's new

historic contacts between roman empire and indian subcontinent?

MarkusS

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I´m interested about history and would like to know is there any known contact between our roman empire and the indian subconentinent? Any artifacts that show about this?

I know we had relations with china as we were ruled from emperor Marcus Aurelius and even trade, but know nothing about india.

Roman coins excavated in Pudukottai in South India.

Roman_gold_coins_excavated_in_Pudukottai_India_one_coin_of_Caligula_31_41_and_two_coins_of_Nero_54_68.jpg

The middle one is from emperor Nero. The right one has no name on it and the left one is very hard to read. Its interesting all three have those scratch mark, that was doen to see if they are real. Is there any background story about this?

Indo-Roman trade and relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMG_0864%2BRoman%2BTrade%2Broutes%2Bto%2BIndia%2Bin%2B1st%2Bcentury%2BAD%2B-%2BBarygaza%2B(Bharuch%2Bin%2BGujarat)%2Band%2BMuziris%2B(near%2BPattanam),%2BKerala).jpg

Coin of Claudius
589px-Gold_coin_of_Claudius_50_51CE_excavated_in_South_India.jpg

Coin of Justinian
595px-Gold_coin_of_Justinian_I_527CE_565CE_excavated_in_India_probably_in_the_south.jpg

The middle one is from emperor Nero. The right one has no name on it and the left one is very hard to read. Its interesting all three have those scratch mark, that was doen to see if they are real. Is there any background story about this?

Roman gold coins excavated in Pudukottai, India. One coin of Caligula (31-41 CE), and two coins of Nero (54-68). British Museum.

This is all very interesting. I love those history stuff and often imagine how it was back then.

Yeah, the Roman Empire did have trade relations with nations towards the east, & that includes both land & naval trade. The silk routes for instance are well known for enabling trade & cultural transmission between ancient civilizations even before Rome. The Persians, Hellenes, Romans, nations from the Sub-Continent, et cetera traveled through these routes in order to establish political & economic relations. Furthermore, the Roman empire obtained lots of wealth alongside access to naval trade routes through the Red Sea after their conquest of Egypt. After the division between the Eastern & Western empire, one of the causes behind the Western empire's economic woes was that it had to somewhat fend for itself & was unable to benefit a lot from the wealth in the eastern region.

Apart from the presence of Roman coins in India, I think there may have been some Roman settlers present in a few regions too. The Mediterranean Sea was crucial to trade as well, & the desire to control those routes contributed to the start of the Punic wars. In any case, spices, perfumes, animals, & silk are just a few examples of items that were traded in the past. The purple dye that is generally believed to have been introduced by the Phoenicians was quite popular among the elites in different societies & wearing clothes dyed with that color was sort of a status symbol. By the way, diseases were another "commodity" of trade in the past. The Bubonic plague or the Black Death, which is essentially one of the greatest pandemics in human history, arrived to the Byzantine empire through the silk routes.

Last edited:
Indian subcontinent had a long history of trade and commerce with the Romans.The trade and cultural relation solidified during the first two centuries of Christian era when the Roman empire took over the policy of encourage direct sea route towards the Indian Subcontinent. The Romans wanted to avoid the land route towards India via Parthia for several reasons. With the discovery of Monsoon winds by Hippalus at around 45 AD the sea route became remarkably shortened and the sea voyages between Alexandria and India hiked by folds.

Loads of luxury goods continued to be shipped with the flourishing of the Romans and in return, millions of Sesterces flowed to India.This active commercial relation continued to rise till 3rd Century AD. During this period, large number of mercantile class from both the civilizations traveled from Alexandria to several South and Western cities of India and vice verse .Alexandria had a considerable amount of Indian settlers.The presence of Indian settlers could be observed by a wheel and a trident sculptured on a gravestone in Alexandria. Indian states, on the other hand regularly sent envoys and ambassadors to the Romans till 4th Century AD from the period of Trajan,Hadrian to Justinian.

Indo-Roman relations began during the reign of the Roman Emperor Augustus (23 Sept. 63 BCE – 19 Aug. 14 CE). Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus was the first emperor of the Roman Empire, which he ruled alone from 27 BCE until his death in 14 CE.

The presence of Romans in India and the relations between Rome and India are still generally little known or understood. Unfortunately, historians lack the sort of accounts or 'histories' written by contemporaries or near-contemporaries which they have for, say, the earlier conquests of Alexander in India, to provide us with some sort of overview. While we have quite extensive and spectacular literary, numismatic and archaeological evidence, it is difficult to assemble anything approaching a comprehensive picture of the relations between India and the Roman Empire.

500px-Map_of_the_Periplus_of_the_Erythraean_Sea.jpg

Thats what i mean. We see all the evidence in rome that india was known. We see roman artifacts in india as well but we know almost nothing about how this contact worked and what people did know about each other.

"Periplus of the Erythraean Sea" a greek book written in the first century has detailed descriptions of many ports in kerala,south india including distances. According to it there was a temple dedicated to emperor Augustus and a roman garrison was also there to protect the greek warehouses of spices.
The Natural History AD 77–79 by Pliny the Elder also has detailed descriptions of kerala ports.

Roman gold coins are regularly dug up in kerala and in thePadmanabhaswamy swami temple treasure many sacks of ancient roman gold coins are discovered.
Romans were called as yavanas in india. yavana word came from the minoans

Thats what i mean. We see all the evidence in rome that india was known. We see roman artifacts in india as well but we know almost nothing about how this contact worked and what people did know about each other.

Romans knew about India from Greeks, the name India is Greek in origin first mentioned by Herodotus around 5th century BC.

The English term is from Greek Ἰνδία (Indía), via Latin India.

Thats interesting, so indians called us yavanas? And that means minoans? I ask because i know that persans also called us romans greeks and made no difference between us and greeks.

Back
Top Bottom