What's new

GSLV mK III with SRE-2 atop to be launched in April 2014

Indo-guy

Reaction score
Country
India
Big leap in India's efforts for manned space flight
New Delhi, Jan 10, 2014, DHNS:
Scientists at the Indian Space Research Institute (Isro) have also made significant progress in developing a spacesuit and a support system for human crew in geosynchronous satellite launch vehicle (GSLV) Mk-III.

Research is also under way on the re-entry issue, in which the module has to face enormous amounts of heat, and on how to land the module at a precise predetermined location. A manned space flight to a low-earth orbit (upwards of 160 km to a few hundred km) is on Isro's radar. Except the US' Apollo missions to the moon, all other human space flights took place in these zones. The international space station rotates the earth at an altitude between 330 km and 435 km.

GSLV Mk-III is three-stage vehicle with 200 tonnes strap-on solid-propellant boosters and a second-stage engine with liquid propellants, besides the indigenous cryogenic engine.
vtpixpc.gif

The experimental flight, however, will not carry a functional cryogenic engine. The heavy-duty rocket will fly up to an altitude of 120 km, after which it will take a parabolic path and dive in the Bay of Bengal

Isro inches closer to manned mission - The Times of India

KOCHI: In a major boost to Indian Space Research Organization's (Isro) ambition to launch a manned space mission, the experiments related to its crew module designed for orbital voyage would be conducted in April.

The crew module, indigenously developed and capable of ferrying three space travelers, will be flown on the first experimental flight of GSLV Mark - III. Buoyed by the success of the cryogenic engine, Isro is now giving more thrust to the development of the GSLV series.

The GSLV-MK-III is being developed as a heavy-lift vehicle capable of placing satellites weighing up to 5,000 kg in geosynchronous orbit. The plan is to test its first stage and strap-on motors in April.

"The crew module for the proposed manned mission will be flown on the Mk-III vehicle. This will be a sub-orbital flight to test the first stage and to ensure that the rocket gains five km/second velocity,'' said Dr Radhakrishnan, Isro chairman.

The crew module will be injected into the lower orbit and then made to re-enter the earth's atmosphere. It will be guided to land in a specified spot, most likely in the Bay of Bengal.

This is a crucial experiment, said Radhakrishnan. ``We will be checking the crew capsule for all parameters. The most important will be to understand how it withstands the friction of entering earth's atmosphere,'' he said.

Isro had tested thermal shields that withstand re-entry heat and friction during its space capsule recovery experiment (SRE) in 2007. ``But in this case the capsule has to be human rated or we have to ensure that our space travellers will be safe during the entire length of the journey,'' Radhakrishnan said.

Isro, as an additional feature, has also built in a separate escape module within the crew capsule. Sources said this module will in itself be a miniature space vehicle that can safely bring home its passengers.

When GSLV Mk-III will be tested in three months' time, the heavy-duty rocket will fly the module to an altitude of about 120 km to see if it is safe for human flight. “GSLV Mk-III will carry the crew module to study re-entry and thermal behaviour,” said Isro chairman K Radhakrishnan .

20110803-India-Satellite-Launch-Vehicle-GSLV-PSLV-10%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Last edited:
Similar sized rockets have capability to launch 10 tons to geo and 25 tons to leo,i wonder what is the difference.any ideas?

I think it will take long time to move to semi cryo tech now.But they should atleast start work on semi cryo kerosine lox fuel tech side by side so that they can master it in due course of time.

Why send an empty space capsule aboard the GSLV? Why not put a monkey in there? By monkey I mean one of those Hurriyat bozos like SAS Geelani!!! :cheesy:

Needless to say, after attaining full apogee, eject the capsule into the depths of space!! That would be good riddance!! :wave: :D

Why send an empty space capsule aboard the GSLV? Why not put a monkey in there? By monkey I mean one of those Hurriyat bozos like SAS Geelani!!! :cheesy:

Needless to say, after attaining full apogee, eject the capsule into the depths of space!! That would be good riddance!! :wave: :D
Before Gilani we need to send Owsisi brothers for the monotonous ride around the earth . :D

Because GSLVMK3 uses solid boosters in 1st and 2hd stage......

No second stage is liquid propelled.

Similar sized rockets have capability to launch 10 tons to geo and 25 tons to leo,i wonder what is the difference.any ideas?

Which one ??

When the money is tight then it is a good idea to scrap everything. I like how ISRO merges different testing in one go. In this case both GSLV MkIII and crew module.

Still I think the first priority for ISRO should be perfecting GSLV Mk II so as they can launch heavy satellites on their own and thus generate some revenues.

Which similar sized rockets are you talking about ??

Because GSLVMK3 uses solid boosters in 1st and 2hd stage......

Only the first stage is solid fuelled .

Second stage uses liquid fuel and is powered by 2 Vikas engines .

then why can't we use liquid fuel like kerosene..in 2 stage rockets used by space x?

We are working on the semi-cryogenic engine which uses kerosene as fuel .

When the money is tight then it is a good idea to scrap everything. I like how ISRO merges different testing in one go. In this case both GSLV MkIII and crew module.

Still I think the first priority for ISRO should be perfecting GSLV Mk II so as they can launch heavy satellites on their own and thus generate some revenues.

Second one with indigenous cryo would be launched by August September of this year itself.

I think it will take long time to move to semi cryo tech now.But they should atleast start work on semi cryo kerosine lox fuel tech side by side so that they can master it in due course of time.

The work on a 2000KN semi-cryogenic engine and 200KN cryogenic engine has already started .

Back
Top Bottom