What's new

Flankers/J-11B, Jack of all trades, master of none?

FSLN

Reaction score
Jack of all trades, master of none! its a phrase used in reference to a generalist: a person(or War Plane..:wave: ) that is competent with many skills but is not outstanding in any particular one, like the Omnirole Rafale or Multirole F/A-18 SH.(able to A2A but not the best & capable of A2G but also not the best bombers) so the phrase in used here apply to them, now here comes

the Flankers, they also fall in this metaphor, But NOT if the J-11B has anything to say about it

I know if you build a Omnirole type flanker/J-11B you will infact create such a Bird, But what if you instead build specialized planes using the same airframe, engines and radars, wouldn't that cut the cost a whole lot? instead of having MKi engines, SHornet/Rafale engines/ different radars? wouldn't

Just to name a few

Su-27/Su-30MKi(air Superiority Fighter)

Silent Flanker(Night Deep strike, ala F-35I, know it was PS, but its not imposible dream)
http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-defence/63376-new-stealthy-j-11d-e-flight-photo-2.html

Flanker growler(EW) http://www.defence.pk/forums/india-defence/37431-su-30-mki-growler.html

Navy flanker SU-27k/J-15(F-14/F/A-18 counterpart)

Dedicated fighter Bomber Sukhoi Su-34(Dedicated supersonic Bomber ala B-1 lancer) Sukhoi Su-34 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-photos-multimedia/69371-su-34-bomber.html

wouldn't a full TOT(100%)/Su-27 licence build from Russia or China(cheaper) of the Flanker/J-10B be the best route to go?

:pakistan:

i would go for cinese market but for starters no one can get j11b beacuse it is russian plane. but if i where to choose i would go chinese beaucse they got same tech and better price . russian look at how much money you got so thell squeeze out all of it and make you be left with pennies(that where isreal comes in) but all in all china is the best for this kinda stuff

Flanker was first and foremost designed as a fighter (much like F15 up to but not including E version). Everything else came second. The multirole aspect came only later.

Specialized roles are fine as long as the Air Force is big. But when it comes to countries like Pakistan, we prefer multi-role platforms to support our needs. i.e. less hardware, more work.

well in my opinion J 11 is not that bad too it is capable enoug to fight a airwar and win for china but china also uses SU 30MKK too sir

Flanker was first and foremost designed as a fighter (much like F15 up to but not including E version). Everything else came second. The multirole aspect came only later.

Yet.. the F-15E is the best fighter-bomber out in the world today..
And there is no doubt in my mind that its counterpart the Su-30 has the potential to be just as capable.

Sir Pakistani purchase of the J-11 or any Flanker variant for that matter has not been confirmed. Please move this to the China Defence, India Defence, or the Military Forum section.

Specialized roles are fine as long as the Air Force is big. But when it comes to countries like Pakistan, we prefer multi-role platforms to support our needs. i.e. less hardware, more work.
yeah I was thinking that too, take for example a big air force like India, they use different planes for Navy, Airsuperiority and Medium Multi Role fighters(Future SH/Rafale) the hassle involved in keeping many type of airplanes is huge..!

so if a large country sees its going to need about 600+ War air planes (for Air Superiority, strike, Marine time patrol/maritime air fighter/fleet defense interceptor/ and even Multi role fighter) in the Next 20 years, the most economic way to go about it would be tu purchase the basic J-11B frame/engine licence(from china as it will certainly be less expencive) and build the dedicated fighters from that basic plataform, obtaining the dedicated technologies from western sources(israel,france)

Sir Pakistani purchase of the J-11 or any Flanker variant for that matter has not been confirmed. Please move this to the China Defence, India Defence, or the Military Forum section.

I am just rambling around here buddy, just throwing ideas around...:bunny:

yeah I was thinking that too, take for example a big air force like India, they use different planes for Navy, Airsuperiority and Medium Multi Role fighters(Future SH/Rafale) the hassle involved in keeping many type of airplanes is huge..!

so if a large country sees its going to need about 600+ War air planes (for Air Superiority, strike, Marine time patrol/maritime air fighter/fleet defense interceptor/ and even Multi role fighter) in the Next 20 years, the most economic way to go about it would be tu purchase the basic J-11B frame/engine licence(from china as it will certainly be less expencive) and build the dedicated fighters from that basic plataform, obtaining the dedicated technologies from western sources(israel,france)
Chinese selling their best birds to IAF:rofl::rofl::rofl: I mean C'mon there is no need for sixth sense for something called common sense. A Chinese sale will be a suicide. They will not export their best birds, I dont know how easily people assume such things

Chinese selling their best birds to IAF:rofl::rofl::rofl:
well they dont have to sell the whole birds, just the basic(frame, engine)build licence and last I checked the flanker is a mature plataform, I sure china has plans for a next gen bird, even if the J-11B can be brought to 4.5 gen standards by the building nation...

"China secured a $2.5 billion production agreement which licensed China to build 200 Su-7SK"

if a large nation could secure a similar build license from china for at least 400 planes, the deal could go for $4.b...lots of money to be saved

Last edited:
well they dont have to sell the whole birds, just the basic(frame, engine)build licence and last I checked the flanker is a mature plataform, I sure china has plans for a next gen bird, even if the J-11B can be brought to 4.5 gen standards by the building nation...

And why should they do this.....? did US sell its F-15, F-18s and other stuff to Russia?....will the France and Europe be willing to Sell their Rafale and Typhoon's baseline models to Russians?.....lol, btw Chinese have ample money unlike Russia which had to export its best to get bread and butter for its sick economy. Chinese have been booming now and have heaps of money under their belt....

Back
Top Bottom