What's new

Feasibility Report | Pakistan has a potential of 50 Gigawatts of wind power.

Many thanks Furqan. I know about the Punjab project and would love to see it up and running in the salt range area. Punjab needs to diversify its energy mix. With the mega projects based on imported coal and RLNG these small projects based on Wind, Solar, Local (salt range) Coal and micro/mini hydro power plants on canals punjab.. punjab can become self sufficient in energy production. I just hope that all this materializes within the specified time.

Many thanks Furqan. I know about the Punjab project and would love to see it up and running in the salt range area. Punjab needs to diversify its energy mix. With the mega projects based on imported coal and RLNG these small projects based on Wind, Solar, Local (salt range) Coal and micro/mini hydro power plants on canals punjab.. punjab can become self sufficient in energy production. I just hope that all this materializes within the specified time.

I hope so too. I heard the Coal Project which will going to use Coal from Salt Range are not going to use Local Coal. Do you know anything about it?

last i heard was that they were deciding against going ahead with this project. lets see

We do potential in a lot of other things too. At this moment we are like a rudderless ship as we have no leadership.

Give this nation leadership and see how it progresses.
Nawaz Sharif Has been best PM for Electricity? Was there any better than him?

wind energy isnt economical........the amount you will spending for the setting up of blades and other things is damm high...........unless you are going for green energy.....its a strict no no..........
u can go for nuclear........for green energy.....solar is also there
Solar is better than Wind then?

how about harnessing solar energy, low maintenance cost, good output. our countries are located on tropic of cancer.
need funds for that mate.... Pakistan needs money to make energy..... our Government isn't as smart like yours... we need to go digital and demonetize.

Had a friend in BP UK working on such alternative energy specifically wind mills. Build cost in UK for 1 is £1m, and £100k annual maintenance (excluding transmission lines etc, fed direct to the grid). This is UK manufactured and maintained costs. And each windmill can support 2000+ UK homes easily 24/7 (including heating needs - central heating). This cost is from 2007!! Would be a fair bit lower now.

That's £550 per house per year cost ... but energy companies obviously do not charge that low ... bills are far higher, around £2500+ per annum for a 4 bed house.

Pakistan should continue to harness this route.

Wind is cheap.but obviously intermitent.

solar is the future, under CPEC we are paying 9 cents a unit for imported coal power, our neighbour pays 4.5 cents for coal power and the same for solar now.

What bugs me is solar, wind, nuclear require up front investment, so should be cheaper under CPEC, as I assume cheap loans, but they clearly aren't (check NEPRA Tariffs).

someone clarify?

With sizable reference to large wind and solar power, I have prepared this investment request for newly proposed company from friends who might want to be a part of this new company. Here is the link to my request for funding and other related issues: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1UoJb9Zaj22VHNGb3daLUJhdTQ

Below I have given some statistics that warrant that Pakistan's energy demands would continue to increase at a breakneck space for decades and would have extremely large growth potential for part of Pakistani power sector based on renewable energy technologies.

Green Energy Generation, its significance and Future Potential in Pakistan.
Pakistan is a highly energy-starved country. Though the current government has taken steps to bridge the consumption and supply gap, our per-capita consumption of electricity remains greatly smaller than that of other countries of the world. With a growing population and a steady development course for Pakistan's economy, we will have to continue to invest in energy sector at a break-neck pace in order to meet the fast growing energy demands of our economy. A few statistics are in order. The installed capacity of our country is now close to 25,000MW. Pakistan’s electricity consumption, roughly 470 KWh per capita as per International Energy Agency, is five times less than the world average of 2,700+ kWh. Even if we aim to match India’s 800 KWh of per capita consumption, it would translate into an expansion of 70% capacity over our existing base. Our current electricity consumption rivals that of African nations like Angola, Ghana and Mozambique. Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan — on the other hand have 15-20 times higher electricity consumption per capita. Given a steady projection of development course for economy of our country, Pakistan's energy needs will continue to grow at a very large pace as our per capita energy consumption increases to that of more developed countries.
Most of the countries in the world who are positioning their economies for the future are almost entirely fulfilling their energy infrastructure expansion needs through new investments solely in the green energy sector. I will give example of India how they are dramatically changing the energy generation landscape of their country. India has its 2022 renewable installed power capacity target of 175,000 MW. India has set a target to produce 100,000 MW of solar power by 2022. Current Wind energy generation installed capacity in India is 32,000 MW while the Indian government has set a target for 60,000 MW of operational wind energy capacity by March 2022. According to Gaurdian, 57% of India’s total electricity capacity will come from non-fossil fuel sources by 2027. In the 2027 forecasts, India aims to generate 275 gigawatts of total renewable energy, in addition to 72GW of hydro-energy and 15GW of nuclear energy. Even If we intend to match a fraction of India's per capita targets for renewable energy, it would translate into a sharp increase and very large investments in renewable energy sector in Pakistan.
Given the projections of Pakistan's sharply increasing energy needs in the future and shifting emphasis on renewable energy generation, there is very huge potential for investment in research and manufacturing of renewable energy generation systems like wind turbines and solar energy generation equipment. Contrary to common wisdom that such advanced industrial technologies cannot be developed in Pakistan, I strongly believe that we can manufacture state of the art energy generation equipment that could easily compete with the best anywhere in the world while at a fraction of the costs associated with such development elsewhere in the world. We could cater to local energy industry demands while exporting to many other countries in the world.

Here is my very brief and initial report on steady wind power generation in Pakistan.
With sizable reference to large wind and solar power, I have prepared this investment request for newly proposed company from friends who might want to be a part of this new company. Here is the link to my request for funding and other related issues: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1UoJb9Zaj22VHNGb3daLUJhdTQ
Please read this post together with post#38 above in the same thread.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/engi...wind-turbine-prototype-ahsan-amin?published=t
One of the major problems with wind energy is the intermittent nature of relevant electricity production since changing weather continues to affect the wind speeds. This also results in volatility of electricity prices especially in countries where a large fraction of electricity is produced from renewable energy. Other than creating problems for wind energy generating companies, electricity volatility also creates problems for both domestic and industrial consumers.
I believe we can overcome some of these shortcomings associated with wind renewable energy by installing 'hybrid wind turbines'. Unlike conventional wind turbines, these wind turbines would follow a different design principle. The central engineering design difference in these hybrid wind turbines would be that wind power harvested by the turbine would be divided in an optimized fashion to molten salt and the electricity generators. This can be done by designing a special gear box for the turbine that will have two shafts each for electricity production and heat storage in the molten salt. A very optimized mathematical program will distribute power from input power shaft between the two outer shafts through very advanced Gear box. These hybrid wind turbines would store an optimized fraction of energy in the form of heat possibly using molten salt technology. This heat storage would be converted into electricity using additional set of thermal generators that would produce electricity from heat when it would be optimum for the energy production company to sell the electricity to the electricity distributors at the right prices.
Obviously this would require compact molten salt storage units and another set of generators localized to each wind turbine in the farm in addition to the generators in conventional wind turbines that directly convert wind energy into electricity. It is well known that heat can be very easily added to molten salt using friction. Obviously design of the molten salt container unit has to be very professionally developed by experts in this area. However with the wind turbine sizes approaching 10 MW, these compact molten salt storage units and thermal generators can actually operate efficiently and cost-effectively and greatly contribute to a steady supply of electricity increasing revenues of the wind energy operators and decreasing the volatility of electricity prices for the electricity for both industrial and domestic consumers.
Please contribute to discussion.

Many feasibility reports come but none of the politician and higher authorities take into consideration.

Many feasibility reports come but none of the politician and higher authorities take into consideration.
Here is my very brief and initial report on steady wind power generation in Pakistan.
Please read this post together with post#38 above in the same thread.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/engi...wind-turbine-prototype-ahsan-amin?published=t
One of the major problems with wind energy is the intermittent nature of relevant electricity production since changing weather continues to affect the wind speeds. This also results in volatility of electricity prices especially in countries where a large fraction of electricity is produced from renewable energy. Other than creating problems for wind energy generating companies, electricity volatility also creates problems for both domestic and industrial consumers.
I believe we can overcome some of these shortcomings associated with wind renewable energy by installing 'hybrid wind turbines'. Unlike conventional wind turbines, these wind turbines would follow a different design principle. The central engineering design difference in these hybrid wind turbines would be that wind power harvested by the turbine would be divided in an optimized fashion to molten salt and the electricity generators. This can be done by designing a special gear box for the turbine that will have two shafts each for electricity production and heat storage in the molten salt. A very optimized mathematical program will distribute power from input power shaft between the two outer shafts through very advanced Gear box. These hybrid wind turbines would store an optimized fraction of energy in the form of heat possibly using molten salt technology. This heat storage would be converted into electricity using additional set of thermal generators that would produce electricity from heat when it would be optimum for the energy production company to sell the electricity to the electricity distributors at the right prices.
Obviously this would require compact molten salt storage units and another set of generators localized to each wind turbine in the farm in addition to the generators in conventional wind turbines that directly convert wind energy into electricity. It is well known that heat can be very easily added to molten salt using friction. Obviously design of the molten salt container unit has to be very professionally developed by experts in this area. However with the wind turbine sizes approaching 10 MW, these compact molten salt storage units and thermal generators can actually operate efficiently and cost-effectively and greatly contribute to a steady supply of electricity increasing revenues of the wind energy operators and decreasing the volatility of electricity prices for the electricity for both industrial and domestic consumers.
Please contribute to discussion.
Why no updates? Did ur dreams materialise?

50 GW is huge potential. How serious are they about moving ahead with implementing ?

Back
Top Bottom