What's new

EU MILITARY COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN MAKES OFFICIAL VISIT TO PAKISTAN

Yar best approach is apna banao te apna khao. Dakar maro aur shukar alhamdulilah kaho. Bass
It's the end of Saab marketing the product, but if you look at it another way, it gives Saab a convenient exit should such a platform end up in Pakistan's hands. "Oh, it's a discontinued product, we had nothing to do with it."

I think due to political and diplomatic uncertainty it would be more suitable and logical to avoid SAAB and to address our needs for MPA based on Jet engines if we deal with Bombardier for platform and Rheinland Air Service separately for integration of Censors, CMS and weapons would not only increase our options in terms of customisation as per own needs but decrease risk associated with this program as well.

You also have suggested the same approach many times at the forum and in your articles .... on your website
I agree, but it'd make it easier (and cheaper) for Rheinland Air Service to carry out the work if Saab's blueprint for integration was available to them.

if Saab's blueprint for integration was available to them.
If fanboy in me is allowed to takeover the discussion at this stage then I would love to see PAC buying licence for in house manufacturing of SAAB-2000 same as MFI-17 along with an agreement to develop a modified Jet powered version having maximum possible commonalty with the existing version. IMHO This is the next logical step for our nascent aviation industry and fits well in our dream of creating an aviation city.

This deal/step/project would benefit not only our civilian aviation sector but would be helpful to create an ecosystem of aviation industry which would cater most of our future needs in civilian and defence sector.

If fanboy in me is allowed to takeover the discussion at this stage then I would love to see PAC buying licence for in house manufacturing of SAAB-2000 same as MFI-17 along with an agreement to develop a modified Jet powered version having maximum possible commonalty with the existing version. IMHO This is the next logical step for our nascent aviation industry and fits well in our dream of creating an aviation city.

This deal/step/project would benefit not only our civilian aviation sector but would be helpful to create an ecosystem of aviation industry which would cater most of our future needs in civilian and defence sector.
tbh I think we can make due with just reviving the Saab 2000 as-is, but with manufacturing in Pakistan (since we'd be the primary commercial, government and military user). It serves a critical niche, while also proven. Perhaps the one change I'd consider is finding a more efficient, ITAR-free turboprop engine?

However, I wouldn't adapt it with a jet, it'd be too similar to a business jet and the requirement for that is too small to justify local manufacturing. Instead, I'd recommend working with Brazil's Embraer to adapt one of the E-Jets -- e.g., E195 or E195-E2 -- into our domestic and regional airliner. It wouldn't have any military application, but if we could manufacture them under license for PIA as well as other Pakistani and potentially Central Asian, African, Gulf or Middle Eastern, etc, airlines, we could get a lot of experience.

Germany is over-eager to sell a lot of equipment to PAF. Specially in the non-kinetic category.

Back
Top Bottom