What's new

Don’t forget how the Soviet Union saved the world from Hitler

What I stated was not mean to belittle contribution of other states. But the sheer number of people USSR lost in WW2 and their subsequent assistance to the liberation movement around the world when they were also in the process of reconstruction should not also be unestimated.

In terms of battles against colonialism I am not very familiar of US contribution. All I would say US wanted to ensure they had their guys in power post colonial liberation , that is about it from Vietnam, Indonesia, Iran, Middle East and Africa and Latin America . Action undertaken was to serve US interest so it is understandable and I would not infer they blocked necessarily independence movement but they never encouraged or supported any independence movement.

I am sure all of Eastern and Central Europe enjoyed the "support" the Soviet Union
gave to liberation movements especially in Hungary 1956, and Prague 1968.
Warsaw 1944, when the Soviet Army halted, while Nazi Germany crushed the liberation
movement, and refused to let the Allies help them.

The Soviet Union supported Communist takeovers, nothing more.
The US while stopping colonialism, definitely wanted friendly governments everywhere,
and supported anti-communists with all methods.

The US stopped the joint British/French/Israeli plan to retake the Suez canal for starters.

From the Wiki on Colonialism:

Second Decolonization (1945–99)Edit

Main article: Decolonization
Anticolonialist movements had begun to gain momentum after the close of World War I, which had seen colonial troops fight alongside those of the metropole, and U.S. President Woodrow Wilson's speech on the Fourteen Points. However, it was not until the end of World War II that they fully mobilised. British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt's 1941 Atlantic Charter declared that the signatories would "respect the right of all peoples to choose the form of government under which they will live". Though Churchill subsequently claimed this applied only to those countries under Nazi occupation, rather than the British Empire, the words were not so easily retracted: for example, the legislative assembly of Britain's most important colony, India, passed a resolution stating that the Charter should apply to it too.

The Atlantic Charter is one of the more important documents obviously.

Last edited:
The article does not mention at all the vast amount of equipment shipped by the US to the Soviet Union.
Yes, that is very true. Huge amounts of war supplies were shipped to Russia via Arctic Convoys which Royal Navy was heavily involved in protecting.

Link > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_convoys_of_World_War_II

USSR no doubt the brunt of the Wehrmacht however without Allied support including opening up two extra fronts against the Axis forces (Normandy/Sicily-Italy) it is very possible Nazi Germany would have prevailed.

Russians, Brits, French, and Poles
It kind of rankles with me that men from what is now Pakistan are never given recognition. The Poles get a mention yet the far greater contribution by men from what is now Pakistan is almost forgotten. four men from what is now Pakistan won Victoria Cross. Frontier Regiments, Baluchi Regiments, Punjab Regiments were in the thick of battle in North Africa and then crossed into Italy. My distant relative fought in WW2 in Italy. One man of his regiment would win the Victoria Cross fighting the Germans in Italy.

Ali Haidar VC (21 August 1913[1] – 15 July 1999[1]) was a Pakistani Pashtun recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.

Link > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Haidar_(VC)

AliHaidar-Facebook.png

Over 500,000 men from Frontier Province and Punjab of what is now Pakistan served in British Commonwealth Armed forces. Many never went back are buried in distant lands from Scotland, England, France, Italy, Germany, Tunisia, Greece, Libyia, Egypt as well as Burma and Singapore.

German soldier surrenders to Punjabu Muslim soldiers Greece

Ct7AtQBWcAERK7t.jpg

This grave is of a soldier from what is now Pakistan ( undivided India pre 1947) and is buried in Scotland along with other men of the 25th Mule Company killed while training in Scottish Highlands.

CrvmneBW8AQu2eE.jpg

CrvyPOZXEAAjOjv.jpg

Crv0VjQXEAANEMG.jpg

Link > http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/scottishwargraves-ftopic793.html
Link > http://historylinksarchive.org.uk.s3.amazonaws.com/document/865.pdf

Link > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/af...akistani-village-gave-sons-fight-Britain.html

All this is entirely erased from public knowledge which given the scale of contribution is scandelous.

*Although the WW1 contribution has been acknowledged by Britain recently with the award of this plaque to Pakistan honouring three men who won Victoria Cross in the trenches of Flanders near Ypres in 1914.

Cslj2WIW8AAm1i9.jpg

Mechanized element of Frontier Regiment, Italy 1944.

CmpYo_RWEAA4-XB.jpg

It kind of rankles with me that men from what is now Pakistan are never given recognition. The Poles get a mention yet the far greater contribution by men from what is now Pakistan is almost forgotten.

This is very true and the sacrifices of South and East Asian populations, alongside those in the Middle East and North Africa are often lost on European populations when commemorating the end of WWII, even when populations or peoples from nations in those regions took part in important campaigns European and North American populations were part of. I can't say we remember them all to often, but then they weren't really part of our campaigns either.

In the Liberation of Norway, which my post was mostly addressing, Russian, Polish, French, British and Swedish peoples were instrumental in us reclaiming our nation from the Germans. Other peoples like the Americans played a smaller role.

The Poles, French, Brits and Russians were involved in irregular and regular campaigns against the German occupiers and lost thousands. The Swedes trained our army which was in Sweden secretly preparing for the right time to push back. Each of these nations, Sweden and Britain in particular, supported our government and royal family in exile and provided them with legitimacy during their time outside of Norwegian borders, helping them to direct and govern the Norwegian peoples no matter where they were.

Every year we give a Christmas Tree to the British people to be displayed at Trafalgar Square in remembrance of their help during WWII.

TrafalgarSquare_ChristmasTree.jpg

And we invite Polish, British and German serviceman to commemorate the sacrifices made during the reconquest of Narvik too. Wreaths are lain on ships sunk during the campaign from all sides, former friends and foes alike.

osh_narvik-5.t5566039e.m1600.xd756b8ce.jpg

And the same with Russia, celebrating their help in liberating Finnmark and their bravery in the Arctic driving the Germans out of this vital domain. This statue commemorates the liberation of Kirkenes and the victims of the German Scorched Earth campaign as they left.
7390df6ab17557454a00aa31a7f73af7544b954131d3e.jpg

It was the Red Army that pushed the Germans out of Kirkenes and we proudly honor their sacrifices and support for our nation. No matter our political relations with Russia in a given year, and for the most part they've actually been good, we make a point to remember what they've done for us.

We'd remember the sacrifices of our Pakistani brethren too, but commemorations tend to be more micro in scale, often focusing on individual nations and the parties that took place within campaigns in their borders or whos troops participated in the wider war. But they don't typically see nations honor all of those who took part in the war, placing an emphasis to honor each nation individually. For Norway Pakistanis, whether for the country's military or serving in another like that of Britain, weren't a major factor in the Norwegian campaign and this is why we often don't remember just how much they gave during the war. Nations celebrate and commemorate those that helped them the most.

Today people of South and East Asian descent serve proudly in the Norwegian Armed Forces and out nation plays host to some 300,000 men and women from the region.

20161117AR-5.t582d9d66.m1600.x71b3ae16.jpg

We'll proudly remember their service long after their gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y
All this is entirely erased from public knowledge which given the scale of contribution is scandelous.

To be honest bro they do remember their sacrifices and remember Pakistan has its own name on the Commonwealth gates.

img_9692_mid.jpg

Every year without fail the Pakistani ambassador is invited to lay a wreath on memorial Sunday, alongside the oldest and closet allies to the UK i.e. Australia, Canada, New Zealand, India and Sri-Lanka.
The land for Regents Park Mosque was given in honour of the Pakistani troops who formed the BIA by his royal highness George VI. I can go on but it's important we communicate this to our younger generations as well, very few know of this and we can't expect the general folk to know and remember.

In the Liberation of Norway
The men of ATC 25 Mule Company, part of Force K-6 were first from Asia to land in Europe and were evacuated drom St. Nazaire at time of Dunkirk. Subsequently K-6 went into intensive training in Scottish Highlands in preparation of landing in Norway which never took place. All the men were from what is now Pakistan and few died in the training in the Scottish Highlands. They were buried in Scotland.

Amd yes, I am aware of the Norweigian-Pakistani community who sem to have integrated well and gone onto contribute positively. I think Hadia Tajik has made it to minister in the Norweigian Government.

Link > http://historylinksarchive.org.uk.s3.amazonaws.com/document/865.pdf

Some where in my DREAMz I uses to Hear , HITLER was a vampire FOR Chews .? HOW russia SAVED the world from chews in HIS CAMPS HITLER comes to know through the chews they were capturing these chews are all hindus AND trainned in russia and crossing border into E.U , rest were from Brits as chews SO HE ATTACKED THEM BOTH ,, THE countries around russian border was with the least HUMAN left ( HOW MUCH POPULATION PAKISTAN HAVE ) least was 9% left , though russia denied but HINDU were eating THEM TOO and HITLER was RIGHT , oohh MY DREAM how many chews are living here if you do not cheat yourself , CALL THEM HINDUS SHIAS OR CHEWS or creation of 1 thing SHIT , HAHA HA from HITLER chews are mo;lding the HISTORY RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE EYES , HOW MANY ARE THEY IN PAKISTAN ARMY ?

Fascism is dead, good riddance! but humanity had to fight a bloody world war to destroy it.
Now we have religious fascism, for which people are willing to kill or be killed. This is the greatest threat to world peace, the sooner we realise it the sooner we can prevent another world war.

Back
Top Bottom