What's new

Davos 2017: Biden warns of further Russian ‘meddling’ in democracy

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
DAVOS, Switzerland: Russia will “meddle” in further democratic processes in the future as part of its aim to destroy the liberal world order, the outgoing US vice president warned today.

Joe Biden targeted Russian “aggression” in his last major public address in office, delivered at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland.

“We should expect further attempts by Russia to meddle in the democratic process, it will occur again, I promise you,” he said.

“And again the purpose is clear, to collapse the liberal international order.”

Russia had been accused of using cyberattacks, trolls and propaganda during the US election, which some claim aided Donald Trump’s ascent to victory.

Trump at first disputed the claim, but last week conceded that he agreed with a US intelligence assessment that Russia, specifically President Vladimir Putin, did indeed launch cyberattacks aimed at influencing the election.

In his speech to the World Economic Forum meeting in Davos, Biden also addressed issues such as Europe, the spread of information online, and the dangers of protectionism over globalization.
“We can’t rout fear with retrenchment,” he said.

But amid the warnings there were moments of levity in Biden’s last major speech as vice president. “I’ll be vice president of the US for another 48 hours... then I can start to say what I think,” he joked.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1040671/world

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom