What's new

Could There be a Third Bamiyan Buddha, Hidden for Centuries?

Kashmiri Pandit

Reaction score
Country
India

22 NOVEMBER, 2015 - 14:52 DHWTY

Could There be a Third Bamiyan Buddha, Hidden for Centuries?

One of the most tragic examples of religious iconoclasm in recent history is the destruction of the two giant standing statues of Buddha by the Taliban in March 2001. These were the famed Buddhas of Bamiyan, which were carved into the side of a cliff in the Bamiyan Valley, in the Hazarajat province of central Afghanistan.

Exchanging Ideas and Trading Along the Silk Road

These statues were believed to have been made sometime between the 6th century AD, to the middle of the 7th century at latest, as the inhabitants of this region practiced Buddhism at that time. This was perhaps due to the location of Bamiyan on the ancient Silk Road, which not only facilitated the exchange of trade goods, but also of ideas. Thus, Buddhism was able to spread outwards from India along the Silk Road. Conversely, Buddhist pilgrims travelled along the Silk Road to reach the sacred sites of Buddhism in India. Some of these pilgrims even left records for posterity, and it is through one of these pilgrims that we hear of the story of the ‘third Bamiyan Buddha’.

Tajiks-in-Bamiyan.jpg

Tajiks in Bamiyan (1843). (Public Domain) Bamiyan was one of the cities located on the Silk Road and its citizens took part in the exchange of goods and ideas.

The Buddhas in The Great Tang Records on the Western Regions

Xuanzang was a Buddhist monk from China who travelled from China to Central Asia, and thence to South Asia, before returning home. This entire journey, which lasted 19 years, was then compiled (in 646 AD) into a book known in English as the Great Tang Records on the Western Regions.

Xuanzang.jpg

Xuanzang on his journey to India. (Public Domain)

Bamiyan and its Buddhas are mentioned in Xuanzang’s book. Thus, for instance, one reads that:

“To the north-east of the royal city there is a mountain, on the declivity of which is placed a stone figure of Buddha, erect, in height 140 or 150 feet [42.7 or 45.7 meters]. Its golden hues sparkle on every side, and its precious ornaments dazzle the eyes by their brightness.”

Curiously, Xuanzang continues by describing a second standing Buddha which is made of metal, rather than stone:

“To the east of this spot there is a convent, which was built by a former king of the country. To the east of the convent there is a standing figure of Sakya Buddha, made of metallic stone (teou-shih), in height 100 feet [30.5 meters]. It has been cast in different parts and joined together, and thus placed in a completed form as it stands.”

Buddha-statues.jpg

An 1885 illustration of the two standing Bamiyan Buddha statues. (Public Domain)

Finally, Xuanzang mentions a third Buddha, though unlike the other two, this statue is in a reclining position:

“To the east of the city 12 or 13 li there is a convent, in which there is a figure of Buddha lying in a sleeping position, as when he attained Nirvana. The figure is in length about 1000 feet [304.8 meters] or so.”

The Nirvana Buddha Statue

Several years after the destruction of the two standing Buddhas of Bamiyan, it was reported that a third Buddha (or rather, fragments of a statue of the Buddha) was discovered less than 2 km (1.2 mi) from the site where these statues once stood. This reclining statue, known also as the ‘Nirvana Buddha’ (since this pose depicts the Buddha as he was about to achieve the transcendent state of Nirvana), is said to have been found within the foundations of an ancient Buddhist temple.

Unlike Xuanzang’s reclining Buddha, however, this Buddha is reported to only be 19 meters in length (about 62 feet), a dwarf compared to the statue that the Chinese monk came across when he was at Bamiyan.

reclining-Buddha.jpg

An example of a reclining Buddha, also called a “Nirvana Buddha,” statue from the 12th century in Gal Vihara, Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka. (CC BY SA 3.0)

Could the 3rd Bamiyan Buddha Still Exist?

The archaeologist who made this discovery, Zemaryali Tarzi, is confident that Xuanzang’s reclining Buddha is still somewhere out there in Bamiyan, and hopes that he will be able to find it one day. Other scholars, however, are not as convinced, and have speculated that the Chinese monk may have mistaken a natural rock formation for a sculpture of the Buddha, or was confused about the statue’s location. Others have speculated that even if the statue had once existed, it may have already crumbled into dust centuries ago.

Featured image: Sunrise shows the loss of the larger Bamiyan Buddha statue in the Bamiyan Valley, Afghanistan. Photo source: (CC BY 2.0)

By: Ḏḥwty

References
AFP, 2008. New Bamiyan Buddha find amid destruction. [Online]
Available at:http://web.archive.org/web/20110820235540/http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iMwnIv89hH3Q7rvdzmDQH9zCL6KA

Hammer, J., 2010. Searching for Buddha in Afghanistan. [Online]
Available at: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/searching-for-buddha-in-afghanistan-70733578/?no-ist

Synovitz, R., 2008. Archaeologists Find Giant 'Sleeping' Buddha In Afghanistan. [Online]
Available at:http://www.rferl.org/content/Archeologists_Find_Giant_Sleeping_Buddha_In_Afghanistan_/1197572.html

UNESCO, 2015. Cultural Landscape and Archaeological Remains of the Bamiyan Valley. [Online]
Available at: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/208

www.laputanlogic.com, 2007. Xuan Zang and the Third Buddha. [Online]
Available at: http://www.laputanlogic.com/articles/2003/09/21-106424100165818095.html

Xuanzang, Great Tang Records on the Western Regions: Book 1 [Online]

[Beal, S. (trans.), 1884. Xuanzang’s Great Tang Records on the Western Regions: Book 1.]

Available at: Xuanzang's Record of the Western Regions

Last edited:
If there was the muslims would have found it long ago and Destroyed it as ordered by their Faith :coffee:

If there was the muslims would have found it long ago and Destroyed it as ordered by their Faith :coffee:

I hope you are not trolling. Muslim faith doesn't allow us to destroy other religion's places of worship, symbols etc. You can surely quote me a ton of examples from Somnath to Bamiyan to Allepo etc, and sadly yes they were all done in the name of Islam.

All religions are open to interpretation. But the Islam I and a majority of people in the Sub Continent learn doesn't allow us to destroy stuff like this, on the contrary it actually encourages tolerance. If this were not the case, there would be very very few Hindus left in Hindustan after 1000 years of Muslim rule :)

I hope you are not trolling. Muslim faith doesn't allow us to destroy other religion's places of worship, symbols etc. You can surely quote me a ton of examples from Somnath to Bamiyan to Allepo etc, and sadly yes they were all done in the name of Islam.

All religions are open to interpretation. But the Islam I and a majority of people in the Sub Continent learn doesn't allow us to destroy stuff like this, on the contrary it actually encourages tolerance. If this were not the case, there would be very very few Hindus left in Hindustan after 1000 years of Muslim rule :)

Why should speaking the truth be called Trolling :coffee:

the-rise-of-islam-25-728.jpg

15%2BMohammad%2BDestroys%2Bthe%2BIdols%2Bat%2BMecca%2B629%2BA.D..jpg

As for Hindus in India, we are Hindus because we FOUGHT the muslims and the Christians and kept our faith.

Its a testimony to our strength and determination, not a testimony to your "tolerance" :sick:

You must be demented to even consider otherwise.

:o::o::o:Don't agree with your last line .
Good people like Akbar made sure , pluralism exists but then we had people like Auranzeb who did the opposite .

Hindus and Jews have survived Christians and Muslims acts . Where as all the Polythestic traditions of Ancient world have been lost to Crusades and Invasion of Christians and Muslims .

U can't destroy those , who have a rich and real history .

Last edited:
Makkah and Madina are holy places that is why any other kind of worshiping is not allowed at all..it is exclusively for muslims ... its just like for example that sikhs wont allow muslims to give azaan( muslim call to prayers) in golden temple or vaticans wont allow the same azaan in their holy area... 2ndly our Prophet Mohammad(PBUH) strictly forbids muslims from making any derogatory remarks about other religion ...
if you are a brainwashed and an extremist hindu or christian who happened to be an anti muslim then we cant help you ... becoz you just is influenced by hate .....& we dont care about ppl like u

As for Hindus in India, we are Hindus because we FOUGHT the muslims and the Christians and kept our faith.

Its a testimony to our strength and determination, not a testimony to your "tolerance" :sick:

You must be demented to even consider otherwise.

It seems you didn't read the info-graphic you posted. People who didn't convert were spared too and regards to Kaaba, it has been home to Abrahamic religions since beginning and that's why it was cleared of idols. And that's also why it can't be compared to other places of worship.

Good people like Akbar made sure , Pularism exists but then we had people like Auranzeb who did the opposite .

Hindus and Jews have survived Christians and Muslims acts . Where as all the Polythestic traditions of Ancient world have been lost to Crusades and Invasion of Christians and Muslims .

No doubt the existence of hundreds of millions of Hindus after a 1000 year rule clearly points to their survival skills as well as tolerance in earlier Muslim societies. I was replying to @Mamsalaphala first post where he condemned all Muslims with a blanket statement. Had it been the case that people like Taliban or ISIS ruled sub-continent for a 1000 years, there surely would be very few Hindus left. Wouldn't you agree?

Good people like Akbar made sure , pluralism exists but then we had people like Auranzeb who did the opposite .

its better for you to make your facts straight... if you can travel to UK then go and do some research about Aurangzeb... He, Aurangzeb, had more non muslim minister in his court than any of mughal rulers ... but he is portrayed wrongly by your anti muslim intellectuals..

No doubt the existence of hundreds of millions of Hindus after a 1000 year rule clearly points to their survival skills as well as tolerance in earlier Muslim societies. I was replying to @Mamsalaphala first post where he condemned all Muslims with a blanket statement. Had it been the case that people like Taliban or ISIS ruled sub-continent for a 1000 years, there surely would be very few Hindus left. Wouldn't you agree?

:o::o::o:My body screams with the thought of people like ISIS and Taliban ruling us for 1000 Years .
But there was always a counter balancing power ( like Marathas , Rajputs , Sikhs ) to Mughal Powers in South Asia .

its better for you to make your facts straight... if you can travel to UK then go and do some research about Aurangzeb... He, Aurangzeb, had more non muslim minister in his court than any of mughal rulers ... but he is portrayed wrongly by your anti muslim intellectuals..

Kashmiri pandits were worst affected under him . Sacrifices of Sikh Gurus is a proof of his Atrocities .

No need to Go there . They are they people who believed South Asia was inhabited before 3 BCE . These are the people who believed in Aryan ( Indo Europeans ) giving culture to south Asia . These are the people who were bulldozed when Ashoka , Alaxendar and others were found .

:o::o::o:My body screams with the thought of people like ISIS and Taliban ruling us for 1000 Years .
But there was always a counter balancing power ( like Marathas , Rajputs , Sikhs ) to Mughal Powers in South Asia .

True that, my friend.

I have to disagree with you on the counter balancing power theory though. Marathas and Rajputs were secondary (read regional) powers when Mughals were at the height of their power. They operated in their areas of influence because of alliances and/or compromises with the Mughals. They became actual threats only after the British emerged as the real contenders to the Indian throne. Same goes for Sikhs who achieved unity and major victories long after. We were talking about the time much before that.

Non Muslim will always judge islam by the actions of Muslims not much by the doctrine......
The exclusivity of being the most sacred n pristine religion indoctrinated in the religious book led the mayhem throughout since inception....
To us "All path leads to same god" however for Muslim other than Allah are false ......
The supremacist approach cocktailed with hatreds for idolatrous is the sole reason for desecrating the temples of other faith ....

No surprise, there was no hue n cry among the Muslims world when bamiyan was destroyed by mercenaries ....

True that, my friend.

I have to disagree with you on the counter balancing power theory though. Marathas and Rajputs were secondary (read regional) powers when Mughals were at the height of their power. They operated in their areas of influence because of alliances and/or compromises with the Mughals. They became actual threats only after the British emerged as the real contenders to the Indian throne. Same goes for Sikhs who achieved unity and major victories long after. We were talking about the time much before that.

Yup ! When an empire is at its peak none can challenge them . From Akbar till Shah Jahan , Empire was at its peak ( Golden age of Mughals ) . But after them new powers appeared in South Asia , Which happened much before British gained power in South Asia .

It seems you didn't read the info-graphic you posted. People who didn't convert were spared too and regards to Kaaba, it has been home to Abrahamic religions since beginning and that's why it was cleared of idols. And that's also why it can't be compared to other places of worship.

LOL.... so are the Dhimmi's supposed to be grateful that your prophet did not kill them ? :cheesy:

I have no interest in educating you so this is my last post, but here is the truth about your Abrahamic religion.

The Moon God Al-iIah discovered in Syria and which is dated BEFORE Muhammed. :disagree:

hazor3.gif

islam-hazor-hands-worship2.gif

hazor1.jpg

0141-6.gif

Discover of Sun / Moon god in Middle East,

494px-Kudurru_Melishipak_Louvre_Sb23.jpg

watchers32_27.jpg

Statue of God found in Saudi Arabia dated BEFORE Muhammed,

hureida_moon.jpg

Finally give a google search for carving of Moon God inside Kaaba, :disagree:

There were ISIS and Taliban inside India too , only Hindus fought them and forced them to discard fundamentalism to survive in India.

Last edited:

Kashmiri pandits were worst affected under him . Sacrifices of Sikh Gurus is a proof of his Atrocities .

No need to Go there . They are they people who believed South Asia was inhabited before 3 BCE . These are the people who believed in Aryan ( Indo Europeans ) giving culture to south Asia . These are the people who were bulldozed when Ashoka , Alaxendar and others were found .

look if one has to read or do some research about history and religion then him/her has to be open minded and see everything from every different angle... i have done some research on sikh gurus matter.. and i have some concern regarding that issue because there are some facts one need to clear and some propaganda which needs to be taken care of then a clear picture of, why there were soo many atrocities against sikhs, can come out....

LOL.... so are the Dhimmi's supposed to be grateful that your prophet did not kill them ? :cheesy:

I have no interested in educating you so this is my last post, but here is the truth about your Abrahamic religion.

The God Al - iIah discovered in Syria and which is dated BEFORE Muhammed. :disagree:

hazor3.gif

hazor1.jpg

0141-6.gif

watchers32_27.jpg

hureida_moon.jpg

There were ISIS and Taliban inside India too , only Hindus fought them and forced them to discard fundamentalism to survive in India.

such an ignorance huh dont b surprise if i see u and an isis supporter on the same page... you both are ignorant about islam ...

I have no interested in educating you so this is my last post, but here is the truth about your Abrahamic religion.

The God Al - iIah discovered in Syria and which is dated BEFORE Muhammed. :disagree:

hazor3.gif

hazor1.jpg

0141-6.gif

watchers32_27.jpg

hureida_moon.jpg

I read somewhere that Islam and Christianity have borrowed a lot of Stuff from Ancient Egypt , Is it True ?
Most of the practices of Pre Islamic Arab or Pre Christ world were similar .

Hindus Survived because we had a real history and not a borrowed one from Aryans :lol:
Greeks who were like us Vanished . Egyptians Vanished , Zoroastrians Vanished .

Tabhi to khate hai

Yunan-o-Misr-o-Roma Sab Mit Gaye Jahan Se, Ab Tak Magar Hai Baki Naam-o-Nishan Hamara, Kuchh Baat Hai Ke Hasti Mit’ti Nahin Hamari, Sadiyon Raha Hai Dushman Daur-e-Zaman Hamara.
Sare Jahan Se Acha Hindustan Hamara:tup:

look if one has to read or do some research about history and religion then him/her has to be open minded and see everything from every different angle... i have done some research on sikh gurus matter.. and i have some concern regarding that issue because there are some facts one need to clear and some propaganda which needs to be taken care of then a clear picture of, why there were soo many atrocities against sikhs, can come out....
Yup ! Totally agree with U on the open mind thing :tup:

Back
Top Bottom