What's new

Does a country needs HSR?

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Building HSR in Laos is like building a giant airport in Sri Lanka. Having something you don't need, to impress people you don't know.

Mod Edit:
All the discussions are moved to this thread.
FYI, Viet didn't open this thread.

Don't be bitter. HSR will come to Vietnam one day.
not bitter, I question if Laos has a real demand for HSR and can pay back the debt?
the germans can export Mercedes and BMW to Laos, but the question is how many people can afford the cars. or is it for Laos better to have VW. as for VN, HSR is expected to start construction in 2020.

There are 32 stations along the route. Operating speed on the route is designed at 160 km per hour.

not bitter, I question if Laos has a real demand for HSR and can pay back the debt?
the germans can export Mercedes and BMW to Laos, but the question is how many people can afford the cars. or is it for Laos better to have VW. as for VN, HSR is expected to start construction in 2020.

Not exactly HSR. The operating speed is under 200km/h.

"Once completed, the railway will benefit Lao people of all ethnic groups, facilitate and reduce costs of transportation, stimulate the development of agricultural and industrial sectors, tourism, investment and trade, as well as generate income for Lao people and the country,"

The rationale is to provide basic infrastructure to facilitate the movement of people and goods.

Not exactly HSR. The operating speed is under 200km/h.

The rationale is to provide basic infrastructure to facilitate the movement of people and goods.
ok that is different. the image in the article suggests HSR will be built. however it you build a 414km long route with 32 stations, train will stop every 13 km. I wonder how can train reach the top speed or do I miss something?

Private automobile is apple, public transport is orange.
Apple is apple, orange is orange. And a pen is pen.

Pen Apple-Appleorange Pen?

ok that is different. the image in the article suggests HSR will be built. however it you build a 414km long route with 32 stations, train will stop every 13 km. I wonder how can train reach the top speed or do I miss something?

I am not sure about technical details of speeding up. The article says the designated top speed is 160km/h, the actual speed may be lower than that.

My experience with 300+ HSR in Mainland China is that speeding up and slowing down between two stations no matter how close is not an issue.

Apparently, it is a cost-benefit calculation: frequent stops mean more people having a chance to use the train. On the other hand, it results in a longer time between point A and point B.

I am not sure about technical details of speeding up. The article says the designated top speed is 160km/h, the actual speed may be lower than that.

My experience with 300+ HSR in Mainland China is that speeding up and slowing down between two stations no matter how close is not an issue.

Apparently, it is a cost-benefit calculation: frequent stops mean more people having a chance to use the train. On the other hand, it results in a longer time between point A and point B.
Laos has a tinny population and is not well known as rich. Anyway if Laos progresses her neighbors profit too. By the way what happens to this thread? I haven't opened it.

Laos has a tinny population and is not well known as rich. Anyway if Laos progresses her neighbors profit too. By the way what happens to this thread? I haven't opened it.

LOL, it is your thread now. Looks like you are very interested in China-Laos relations. :P

But, more seriously, the proposed line is not planned to be a stand alone one. As the above article by @long_ says, it is going to be integrated into the proposed pan-Asian railway.

This is a huge potential boost foe any nation, including China and Laos, as hub and spokes of the trade web.

By the way what happens to this thread? I haven't opened it.
FYI, I have moved the discussions to this thread. This way, we can focus our discussion on this one topic, i.e the China-Laos railway.

The China-Laos railway has a total length of 414.332 km with over 62.7 percent of bridges and tunnels, linking Mohan-Boten border gate in northern Laos and capital Vientiane.

There are 32 stations along the route. Operating speed on the route is designed at 160 km per hour. Construction of the project is scheduled for five years with investment of some 40 billion Chinese yuan (5.76 billion U.S. dollars), 70 percent of which comes from Chinese investment and the rest 30 percent from Laos.
The speed of this train is 160 km per hour, it is not a high speed rail. Note that a 250 kph HSR will cost 40% less than that of a 350 kph HSR, hence this 160 kph train will cost a fraction compared to a normal HSR.

IMO, there is no point building a railway that runs at less than say 100 kph, hence 160 kph is ideal. However, as over 62.7% of the railway are made up of bridges and tunnels, it will cost more than a normal railway.

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom