What's new

Chinese firm offers to built ‘Light Rail Transit’ in Islamabad

Dawood Ibrahim

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
20 MINS AGO BY WEB DESK
light-rail-transit-300x165.jpg

A Chinese company has offered to build a state of the art mass transit system in the federal capital and also recommended a modern ‘Light Rail Transit’ (Tram) project for the city.

The company is already engaged in the construction of ‘Orange Line Metro Train project’ in Lahore.

A group of representatives from the Chinese company visited the head office of the civic body on Friday and delivered a presentation. The company offered its services for the establishment of a state of the art transport project in Islamabad. The Member Planning CDA, Asad Mehboob Kiani, represented the civic body along with other officers of the Authority including the director transport engineering.

A brief comparison among Metro Train, Light Rail Transit (Tram) and Traditional Light Rail Transit was presented before the civic body officials.

The proposed LRT for Islamabad by NORINCO firm will have the capacity to cater to around 8000 to 20000 passengers per hour while its each unit will have the
capacity to occupy 350-700 passengers at a time.

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/201...ers-to-built-light-rail-transit-in-islamabad/

@LA se Karachi

Horrible idea.

Tram or LRTs in urban settings are highly prone to accidents and in Pakistan where drivers are already careless, this is a going to be a nightmare. I hope Pakistan doesn't go for it.

Metro is much more safe.

Horrible idea.

Tram or LRTs in urban settings are highly prone to accidents and in Pakistan where drivers are already careless, this is a going to be a nightmare. I hope Pakistan doesn't go for it.

Metro is much more safe.
not sure what you are talking about...

Pakistan simply needs:

Model of London Underground, District Light Railway and Bus service in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad
Model of London District Light Railway (DLR) and Bus service in Quetta, Peshawar, Faisalabad, Multan and Gwadar
Bus Services in rest of the major cities including Hyderabad, Mardan, Gilgit, Gujranwala, Sialkot and Gujrat etc.

The point is, we don't have money :D

But we need to reduce obession with Metro bus services, it is only a temporary solution but cannot cater the future needs of mega cities like Karachi and Lahore. Our normal buses on the road should do the job alongside underground and light railways. If there is a need, we can expand our existing road infrastructure rather than building costly bridges and impose European law of bus lanes for example otherwise they can raise the side barriers during peak time so only buses can drive in a dedicated lane and lower them down to disappear inside the ground for normal hours

Rail is the future... not buses and I do know they will cost much more but we should make right decisions for the future and make long tern investments rather than election-prone short term investments of metro buses

not sure what you are talking about...

Pakistan simply needs:

Model of London Underground, District Light Railway and Bus service in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad
Model of London District Light Railway (DLR) and Bus service in Quetta, Peshawar, Faisalabad, Multan and Gwadar
Bus Services in rest of the major cities including Hyderabad, Mardan, Gilgit, Gujranwala, Sialkot and Gujrat etc.

The point is, we don't have money :D

But we need to reduce obession with Metro bus services, it is only a temporary solution but cannot cater the future needs of mega cities like Karachi and Lahore. Our normal buses on the road should do the job alongside underground and light railways. If there is a need, we can expand our existing road infrastructure rather than building costly bridges and impose European law of bus lanes for example otherwise they can raise the side barriers during peak time so only buses can drive in a dedicated lane and lower them down to disappear inside the ground for normal hours

Rail is the future... not buses and I do know they will cost much more but we should make right decisions for the future and make long tern investments rather than election-prone short term investments of metro buses

Trams or LRT shares the road with commuters so its prone to accidents.

Trams or LRT shares the road with commuters so its prone to accidents.

Who is going for tram? Pakistan does not have a single project for trams.

Light Rail on the other hand runs on the bridges, similar to metro buses and I do not know if it ever had an accident.... and if it did, it will be extremely rare

Who is going for tram? Pakistan does not have a single project for trams.

Light Rail on the other hand runs on the bridges, similar to metro buses and I do not know if it ever had an accident.... and if it did, it will be extremely rare

LRT is a form of tram. What you're referring to is Rapist Transit.

Read:

Sir

I gave clear example of District light railway of London (DLR)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Light_Railway

Thank you

Brother, I agree with your thoughtful post completely. We don't have the funds but Pakistan needs a proper high-capacity rapid transit system and I'm not opposed to a light railway — a medium-capacity rapid transit system. However, light rail, despite the confusing name, is not light railway. Light rail operates in mixed traffic, light railway does not. I should have explained myself better and avoided confusing you. I'm feeling lazy today and I was trying every way to avoid typing. :partay:

Here's a comparison of Light Rail with other rail transit modes (Link). DLR is light metro.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom