Overseas Chinese community news, updates

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China launches mobile app for overseas Chinese
2015-07-29

The All-China Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese (AFROC) on Tuesday launched an app to serve Chinese residing abroad.

The app will serve as an online information exchange and service platform, linking overseas Chinese federations with individual overseas Chinese, said Lin Jun, president of AFROC.

Through the app, overseas Chinese can quickly learn about policies of the Communist Party of China and Chinese government as well as seek business opportunities, said Lin.

It will also deliver important information to Chinese students studying abroad and newly emigrated Chinese so they can adapt to their new environment.

The app also has the ability to gather public opinions from overseas Chinese by allowing them to voice their suggestions on China's economic development and social reform, Lin said.

China to make overseas Chinese federation more cohesive
Xinhua, December 5, 2016

Chinese central authorities have published a plan on reforming the All-China Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese (AFROC) so that returned overseas Chinese and those still residing abroad could be better united for greater contribution to China's development.

The AFROC will set up more grassroots organizations, for example, in villages, communities, social organizations, universities and research institutes, according to the plan published by the general office of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee.

The AFROC, established in 1956, will make better use of the Internet and other tools in contacting, guiding, and serving overseas Chinese and their organizations, the plan said, adding the AFROC's local branches are encouraged to establish closer contact with compatriots residing abroad.

In addition, AFROC congresses will become more representative, with a larger number of returned overseas Chinese and their relatives from primary-level units introduced into the national congress.

The reform places an emphasis on overseas Chinese who went abroad in recent years, promising support for those who pursue entrepreneurship or innovation.

I wonder if anyone can answer the following questions.

1) Does AFROC cover those Chinese who went overseas and married the locals?

2) Does it matter if the overseas Chinese is female and married a local male?

3) What about their spouses and their children? Do they get Chinese nationality too?

4) I assume it is not an issue if both husband and wife are Chinese nationals who went overseas. But what if their descendants are one, two or three generations removed from China?

5) etc, etc.

China issues five-year plan on overseas Chinese affairs
2017-01-12 15:08 | Xinhua | Editor: Mo Hong'e

The State Council has issued a five-year guideline to promote overseas Chinese affairs.

The guideline contains the principles and tasks for 2016-2020 and sets out an overall plan in various fields, including rule of law, economy, science and technology, culture, education and society.

This is a good development for overseas Chinese.

3) What about their spouses and their children? Do they get Chinese nationality too?

4) I assume it is not an issue if both husband and wife are Chinese nationals who went overseas. But what if their descendants are one, two or three generations removed from China?

5) etc, etc.

I'm not sure about this, but I think that if they want Chinese citizenship they have to submit an application like everyone else, except they get a big advantage if they have Chinese ancestry and/or are able to speak one or more Chinese dialects. And it's a pretty big advantage.

I'm not sure about this, but I think that if they want Chinese citizenship they have to submit an application like everyone else, except they get a big advantage if they have Chinese ancestry and/or are able to speak one or more Chinese dialects. And it's a pretty big advantage.

im not sure about China, but Singaporean Chinese can easily get Permanent residency in Taiwan

5) etc, etc.
From Wiki China
All-China Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese

Established on October 12, 1956, and while maintaining the overall rights and interests of the entire population, All-China Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese safeguards the lawful rights and interests of returned Overseas Chinese, their relatives and Chinese living abroad, and shows concern and care for the just rights and interests of Chinese living overseas.

The federation operates with a general affairs office, organization and personnel department, legal work department, cultural liaison department, and economic liaison department.

I think adding in "their relatives" is for the case they are married to locals. Overseas Chinese (non-Chinese citizenship) and Chinese living abroad would already include the Chinese relatives of the person overseas or have foreign citizenship. I think they explicitly included "their relatives" for a reason but who is considered a relative is up to debate, their spouse and children are probably included.
This will be my interpretation:
1) Yes
2) No
3) Not sure
4) Overseas Chinese includes those that have been overseas for generations.

China launches mobile app for overseas Chinese
2015-07-29

The All-China Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese (AFROC) on Tuesday launched an app to serve Chinese residing abroad.

The app will serve as an online information exchange and service platform, linking overseas Chinese federations with individual overseas Chinese, said Lin Jun, president of AFROC.

Through the app, overseas Chinese can quickly learn about policies of the Communist Party of China and Chinese government as well as seek business opportunities, said Lin.

It will also deliver important information to Chinese students studying abroad and newly emigrated Chinese so they can adapt to their new environment.

The app also has the ability to gather public opinions from overseas Chinese by allowing them to voice their suggestions on China's economic development and social reform, Lin said.
Bro, excellent news!
ME here!!!
What's the name of the app?

Number of Chinese immigrants in Africa rapidly increasing
2017-01-14 09:24 | China Daily | Editor: Gu Liping

The number of Chinese immigrants in Africa has risen sevenfold over less than two decades, although most still plan to return home for retirement, according to a recent survey.

The Annual Report on Overseas Chinese Study said the African continent was home to more than 1.1 million Chinese immigrants in 2012, compared with less than 160,000 in 1996, adding that 90 percent of the current total arrived after 1970.

The study was conducted by researchers at Huaqiao, Peking and Xiamen universities, and released by the Social Sciences Academic Press, a publisher affiliated with the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

"The first Chinese immigrants in Africa were laborers working in retail or catering. But in recent years, more Chinese intellectuals and skilled professionals have moved to Africa," said Li Anshan, a professor at Peking University's School of International Studies.

The annual report quoted a 2015 survey that said 71.8 percent of Chinese community leaders in Africa plan to return to China after retirement, while only 5.1 percent said they would stay in Africa.

Lyu Ting, an assistant researcher at Huaqiao University's Overseas Chinese Institute, said most Chinese immigrants in Africa view the continent as a place full of employment opportunities where they can save significant sums of money in a short time.

"After retiring, most plan to return to China or move to other developed countries," he said.

The report quoted Xue Xiaoming-who has been working and living in Africa for 20 years and is now executive chairman of the Nigerian-Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry-as saying: "We are outsiders. We are not like Chinese immigrants in Southeast Asian countries. They have already settled down and become part of the local communities."

Zhao Jianling, who has been living in South Africa for 17 years, was quoted as saying, "When we first came to South Africa, we thought it was heaven."

But she added that after a decade, China developed rapidly while South Africa fell behind.

"If the situation keeps deteriorating, we would consider moving back to China."

Bilingual app will help govt reach out
2017-01-20 08:53 | China Daily | Editor: Feng Shuang

U669P886T1D242543F12DT20170120085340.jpg

The State Council, China's Cabinet, is set to launch an updated version of its app on Friday, offering government information in Chinese and English, with the English version providing an easier way for foreigners and returning Chinese to handle their affairs in China.

The app is part of the Chinese government's online presence and its effort to promote information openness. In the 2.0 version of the State Council app, State Council documents, government policies, ministries' guidelines and economic data can be found in English.

The app is a portal for information about the latest activities and initiatives of State Council leaders-the premier, vice-premiers and state councilors.

It also serves as an online government affairs service center. The State Council hopes the app will better serve the growing population of foreigners who live in China or are involved in affairs in China.

Users' ideas or suggestions for the Chinese government, or questions about current issues and policies, will be noted via the message function and might even be used by policymakers.

Special sections on State Council executive meetings, which address major issues, policies, ministries' responses to public concerns, and the premier's overseas trips, will serve as a window into the world of government.

The first version of the State Council app was launched in February. The new one is now available for download.

Back
Top Bottom