What's new

Carter: China Isolating Itself in Pacific

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
US Defense Secretary Ash Carter warned China Wednesday that attempts to expand its influence in the South China Sea will ultimately lead to isolation for the Pacific power.

Speaking in Honolulu at the change of command for US Pacific Command, Carter reaffirmed that the US does not respect Chinese attempts to broaden their sovereign territory through the development of man-made islands in the region.

China has claimed those lands, which the Pentagon estimates to be about 2,000 acres in size, as part of its territory, a move other nations in the region believe is a power grab to increase its control of the region. About 1,500 of those acres have been developed since January, showing the rapid acceleration of China's activities.

"We want a peaceful resolution of all disputes, and an immediate and lasting halt to land reclamation by any claimant," Carter said in his prepared remarks. "We also oppose any further militarization of disputed features.

"And there should be no mistake: The United States will fly, sail and operate wherever international law allows, as we do all around the world."

The latter was perhaps the most forceful comments Carter has made about China's claims of sovereignty in the region through the first three months of his tenure as secretary.

"China is out of step with both international norms that underscore the Asia-Pacific's security architecture, and the regional consensus in favor of non-coercive approaches to this and other long-standing disputes," Carter said, later adding that the US "will remain the principal security power in the Asia-Pacific for decades to come."

Carter's trip continues with visits to the Shangri-La dialogue in Singapore and stops in India and Vietnam. In all three spots, the secretary plans to focus on developing allied capability in the region.

"China's actions are bringing countries in the region together in new ways," he said. "And they're increasing demand for American engagement in the Asia-Pacific. We're going to meet it."

A senior defense official told reporters before the speech that the overall trip will focus heavily on developing "that kind of open, inclusive, regional security architecture that we have been building and on which we will continue to build."

The Pentagon has certainly viewed partner capacity building as key in the Pacific. Last month, the US and Japan launched an updated framework for its military relationship, while in recent months the Department of State changed its rules for equipment sales to Vietnam to allow the transfer of maritime patrol gear to that nation.

Carter's comments came as Adm. Harry Harris took over for retiring Adm. Samuel Locklear as the head of US Pacific Command. Flanked by a scenic view of the USS Arizona memorial, Carter praised the work Locklear did in building those relationships.

In his comments, Harris referred to China's actions in the Pacific as "preposterous."

Do not editorialize titles. You must include the part indicating the statement was made by Ashton Carter. If they knew the statement was made in the context of Carter's propaganda push, many readers will save themselves the hassle of closing a clickbait thread they have no interest in.

Your dishonest attempt to artificially boost thread views, a reflection of your poor, defective character, is very much unappreciated here.

To be very frank, even China realizes its previous mistake of sabber-rattling worked against its interests. It has made all the neighbors nervous, and led them to the US camp.

Before 2012, China had the image of a responsible partner, and nation. US was the one who had lost all credibility. Today the reverse is happening in Asia.

He didn't. That's the title of the article too. I'm guessing you didn't click the link @F-22Raptor provided to verify, did you?

Here, I'll offer it again:

If you have a problem, talk to this person, they wrote the article - Aaron Mehta

At no instance has the title appeared without Carter's name affixed to the statement he made. It would otherwise suggest the article is an editorial. The OP's editorialization (by omitting words and context) is deceptive and dishonest.

He didn't. That's the title of the article too. I'm guessing you didn't click the link @F-22Raptor provided to verify, did you?

Here, I'll offer it again:

If you have a problem, talk to this person, they wrote the article - Aaron Mehta
I guess you didn't read his post, and why he has a problem with it did you.

Not just towards the US, but towards each other too:

Australia-Japan Talk Closer Military Ties at Pacific Meeting

Japan and Malaysia’s New Strategic Partnership

India and Vietnam Push Ahead with Strategic Security Cooperation

None of this was happening before China's more aggressive regional policy, now it can't be undone.
Can't be undone, you realize Philippines is in our AIIB, Vietnam sent most of its senior military officers, and a lot of senior officials to China to conduct an official visit.

You realize Australia and Japan have China as their top economic partner and all three of us plus Korea is working on a free trade agreement.

You realize India is closer to Russia than they will ever be to the Us led Western coalition.

You can look at things however you want, from where I'm standing, things look pretty good, there's a big difference between verbal commitment and actual commitment.

Can't be undone, you realize Philippines is in our AIIB, Vietnam sent most of its senior military officers, and a lot of senior officials to China to conduct an official visit.

You realize Australia and Japan have China as their top economic partner and all three of us plus Korea is working on a free trade agreement.

You realize India is closer to Russia than they will ever be to the Us led Western coalition.

You can look at things however you want, from where I'm standing, things look pretty good, there's a big difference between verbal commitment and actual commitment.

Frankly one decision that these countries take are represented by you guys for their support.

AIIB membership by developing countries is simply to have access to funding, and the joining of European countries was a message to Washington to change its decisions vis a vis IMF.

Also, the economic partnership you are harping about, though important, is hardly the only thing. Rather, in the modern era, they have almost completely been delinked. Even when Chinese were smashing Japanese cars, the two countries were still trading.

So, lets gauge here 3 things- Attitude of public in the country, Attitude of government in the country, Security dimension.

Vietnam - Do I even have to mention the attitude of people or government? Security wise they are doing all sorts of things to get closer to Japan and US.

Japan- Again, very negative both on government and public side. Also, until recently Abe was openly calling for a diamond security concept. Openly asking an alliance with India, Australia, and US.

Philippines- Same

India- I can't emphasize enough how negative Indian security establishment is with China. There are articles everyday to involve in the alliance with VIetnam and japan.

Singapore, Malaysia - Both are openly calling for continued US engagement, and patrolling.

I didn't realize economic cooperation was a replacement for military integration. I guess Norway should say good my to NATO now, right? I mean it's part of China's AIIB, and so is Russia, NATO's principle concern. If we're used you're reasoning then Norway should lessen its concerns about Russia; that's the opposite of ongoing developments:

Norway Adds $500M To Bolster High North

Denmark, Sweden Seek to Boost Military Cooperation / Sputnik International

Fighter jet exercise kicks off in Norway - Europe - Stripes

These developments come dispute Russian-Norwegian economic cooperation. Economics are kept separate from military commitments.

Also, don't quote me, I actually have you on my ignore list since you come across as a whiner most often.

So, adding assets is not the same as using them against. Is Norway going to declare war on Russia if Russia takes over the entirety of Ukraine. NATO did partake in the invasion of Iraq though. I was unaware of any major economic relationship between NATO and Iraq.

I'm not saying the neighboring countries won't increase their capabilities, they will. Would they be willing to use it is another question.

In all honesty, China has crossed far further than Russia has in terms of harming American interests, the China Seas is a major American interest, while Ukraine, is just Ukraine.

I don't see the world lining up to sanction China, especially considering China was sanction in 89, for something purely domestic and not at all harmful to US establishment.

As to the last thing, ditto.

You folks just don't get it :disagree:
In your eyes it's China who is being the aggressive factor whenever it suits your agenda. When Vietnam was expanding nobody said a thing but hell breaks loose if China does it. No matter if Japan or other SEA countries seeking more military cooperation among each other, China's stance is clear and unshakable. Time shall tell just how "isolated" China will be even if she continues with the reclamation activities along with the constructions of the facilities.

Frankly one decision that these countries take are represented by you guys for their support.

AIIB membership by developing countries is simply to have access to funding, and the joining of European countries was a message to Washington to change its decisions vis a vis IMF.

Also, the economic partnership you are harping about, though important, is hardly the only thing. Rather, in the modern era, they have almost completely been delinked. Even when Chinese were smashing Japanese cars, the two countries were still trading.

So, lets gauge here 3 things- Attitude of public in the country, Attitude of government in the country, Security dimension.

Vietnam - Do I even have to mention the attitude of people or government? Security wise they are doing all sorts of things to get closer to Japan and US.

Japan- Again, very negative both on government and public side. Also, until recently Abe was openly calling for a diamond security concept. Openly asking an alliance with India, Australia, and US.

Philippines- Same

India- I can't emphasize enough how negative Indian security establishment is with China. There are articles everyday to involve in the alliance with VIetnam and japan.

Singapore, Malaysia - Both are openly calling for continued US engagement, and patrolling.

You realize how close some of our islands are to the Philippines right. How big it is, how much it can and will change things. Name me one country that's willing to stand up to that.

You say economics are detached? This is 2015, social media is everywhere, foreign policy maybe important, but the Republican candidate will win and lose by his economic policies, and not Chinese island building.

Nobody in America cares if Philippines is screwed, they do care if they are losing jobs and pay. Same for everyone else, as much as sovereignty is important, the number 1 priority for China by a mile and a half has always been the economy.

Modi may like his foreign polices, but he didn't go to countries to set up bases, he went there to grab investments.

Japan's TTP is held up by farmers, what would the Japanese elites of Sony, Toyota, Honda, and more feel if they are pushed out of their number one market China, because Abe want to look tough.

On the surface, certainly security interests are important, but all the mentioned government's number one concern is their own voter's confidence, or in China's case the people's satisfaction. Like it or not China is a big part of whether their voters can have any confidence in them.

So, adding assets is not the same as using them against. Is Norway going to declare war on Russia if Russia takes over the entirety of Ukraine. NATO did partake in the invasion of Iraq though. I was unaware of any major economic relationship between NATO and Iraq.

I'm not saying the neighboring countries won't increase their capabilities, they will. Would they be willing to use it is another question.

In all honesty, China has crossed far further than Russia has in terms of harming American interests, the China Seas is a major American interest, while Ukraine, is just Ukraine.
n
I don't see the world lining up to sanction China, especially considering China was sanction in 89, for something purely domestic and not at all harmful to US establishment.

As to the last thing, ditto.

Sanctioning China is already no option. That would lead to immediate economic collapse.

What I'm saying is that you have countries that are increasingly hostile to China, who are welcoming US presence in the region, the same exact thing you want to avoid. And China has actually understood this. This is the reason why China isn't taking any more very provocative steps. Sure, it continues to build. But the steps like placing an oil rig near Vietnam etc aren't being done.

Also, you are losing the game because almost all the countries in ASEAN are getting shit scared of you, and hedging by inviting US in.

Your actions have given justification for Abe to modify his whole security paradigm, and you have successfully driven the generally peaceful Japanese to endorse their Government actions.

You have forced Philippines to go begging to the US for continued presence in the country, when they literallly kicked out Americans a few years back.

Singapore and Malaysia are pleading for more US vessels and patrols.

You have made it far more easy for continued US presence in the region.

You folks just don't get it :disagree:
In your eyes it's China who is being the aggressive factor whenever it suits your agenda. When Vietnam was expanding nobody said a thing but hell breaks loose if China does it. No matter if Japan or other SEA countries seeking more military cooperation among each other, China's stance is clear and unshakable. Time shall tell just how "isolated" China will be even if she continues with the reclamation activities along with the constructions of the facilities.

What is a fact hardly matters in configuration. I am not talking here about facts or truth. I am simply talking about geopolitics and what the other guy thinks.

What the other guy ACTUALLY thinks is far more important than what he SHOULD think.

Very few countries today are getting along well with China in ASEAN. Almost all are giving US support in the region. Many are trying to hedge against China by all means, economically, politically, strategically.

Just look at the OP and rest of his kind!Op and his kind are completely disconnected from reality. Daydreaming and taking dreams for reality. It is " the exceptional nation" ( :rofl: ) who is being gradually kick out and suffering defeat after defeat.China has already won.China unlike " the indispensable nation" has much more to offer to Pacific countries.China unlike USA has powerful allies and more and more joining.Who are the USA allies?Insignificant countries riddled with problems,with debt,with unemployment relying at the very same China(they are dreaming to take on -flies dreaming to take on a dragon) for their trade.

Sanctioning China is already no option. That would lead to immediate economic collapse.

What I'm saying is that you have countries that are increasingly hostile to China, who are welcoming US presence in the region, the same exact thing you want to avoid. And China has actually understood this. This is the reason why China isn't taking any more very provocative steps. Sure, it continues to build. But the steps like placing an oil rig near Vietnam etc aren't being done.

Also, you are losing the game because almost all the countries in ASEAN are getting shit scared of you, and hedging by inviting US in.

Your actions have given justification for Abe to modify his whole security paradigm, and you have successfully driven the generally peaceful Japanese to endorse their Government actions.

You have forced Philippines to go begging to the US for continued presence in the country, when they literallly kicked out Americans a few years back.

Singapore and Malaysia are pleading for more US vessels and patrols.

You have made it far more easy for continued US presence in the region.
I never understood what's wrong with US presence in Asia, the US can press their face right up our window until their face turn green, and it's not going to change anything unless they are willing to smash that window.

US flying some planes, even if on top of our islands, won't stop us, they can't stop our military industrial complex from maturing, they can't stop us from taking the number one GDP nominal spot, they can't stop us from doing anything that we want to do.

All it does is on these forums, some poster can say this that and the other thing about US strength in the region, but as long as they cannot stop us from advancing, they are not doing much at all.

Allies and Enemies can change just like that. Pakistan and China used to be enemies with India as a friend, look at 1962. Philippines kicked out US and welcomed China, but look at it today. Things can change in an instant, I mean millions of death and crimes against humanity didn't stop Vietnam from liking the US more than us.

This is a what have you done for us lately world.

Abe modifying the constitution can be good for us, modifying the constitution won't say who Japan will use that power on, as long as that's open to discussion, it just depends on how we play the game.

You realize how close some of our islands are to the Philippines right. How big it is, how much it can and will change things. Name me one country that's willing to stand up to that.

You say economics are detached? This is 2015, social media is everywhere, foreign policy maybe important, but the Republican candidate will win and lose by his economic policies, and not Chinese island building.

Nobody in America cares if Philippines is screwed, they do care if they are losing jobs and pay. Same for everyone else, as much as sovereignty is important, the number 1 priority for China by a mile and a half has always been the economy.

Modi may like his foreign polices, but he didn't go to countries to set up bases, he went there to grab investments.

Japan's TTP is held up by farmers, what would the Japanese elites of Sony, Toyota, Honda, and more feel if they are pushed out of their number one market China, because Abe want to look tough.

On the surface, certainly security interests are important, but all the mentioned government's number one concern is their own voter's confidence, or in China's case the people's satisfaction. Like it or not China is a big part of whether their voters can have any confidence in them.

US elections may not be influenced by Philippines much.
Also, I agree economics is a priority. But what you must understand is that economics is essentially delinked. In some years, China will open its capital account, and then individual Chinese and companies will begin to invest.

They will look for profit, and return on investment, not geopolitics. Japan invests so much in China, do investors look too much on geopolitics?

Also, NO country will ever compromise on core territorial issues however big the economic incentive is. Would China have taken any territorial concessions in 70s? This is a deep political issue, and you underestimate the power of nationalism, the knee jerk reaction of self preservation, which can lead to people doing irrational things.

Just look at the OP and rest of his kind!Op and his kind are completely disconnected from reality. Daydreaming and taking dreams for reality. It is " the exceptional nation" ( :rofl: ) who is being gradually kick out and suffering defeat after defeat.China has already won.China unlike " the indispensable nation" has much more to offer to Pacific countries.China unlike USA has powerful allies and more and more joining.Who are the USA allies?Insignificant countries riddled with problems,with debt,with unemployment relying at the very same China(they are dreaming to take on -flies dreaming to take on a dragon) for their trade.

I can only be amused by your stupidity.

I never understood what's wrong with US presence in Asia, the US can press their face right up our window until their face turn green, and it's not going to change anything unless they are willing to smash that window.

US flying some planes, even if on top of our islands, won't stop us, they can't stop our military industrial complex from maturing, they can't stop us from taking the number one GDP nominal spot, they can't stop us from doing anything that we want to do.

All it does is on these forums, some poster can say this that and the other thing about US strength in the region, but as long as they cannot stop us from advancing, they are not doing much at all.

Allies and Enemies can change just like that. Pakistan and China used to be enemies with India as a friend, look at 1962. Philippines kicked out US and welcomed China, but look at it today. Things can change in an instant, I mean millions of death and crimes against humanity didn't stop Vietnam from liking the US more than us.

This is a what have you done for us lately world.

Abe modifying the constitution can be good for us, modifying the constitution won't say who Japan will use that power on, as long as that's open to discussion, it just depends on how we play the game.

Almost an informally stated objective of Xi Jinping is to increase influence in neighboring areas, and be the regional hegemon. It won't work if all your neighbors group together and provide local support and logistics for America to stay put.

US elections may not be influenced by Philippines much.
Also, I agree economics is a priority. But what you must understand is that economics is essentially delinked. In some years, China will open its capital account, and then individual Chinese and companies will begin to invest.

They will look for profit, and return on investment, not geopolitics. Japan invests so much in China, do investors look too much on geopolitics?

Also, NO country will ever compromise on core territorial issues however big the economic incentive is. Would China have taken any territorial concessions in 70s? This is a deep political issue, and you underestimate the power of nationalism, the knee jerk reaction of self preservation, which can lead to people doing irrational things.
I didn't underestimate anything, you are being influenced by these American nationalists, who else would post on here, the problem is far smaller than it is.

The 9 dash line isn't even understood, or if it is, not being talked about the right way by these guys, they drum up these non existent threats that we pose when in reality it is not true.

China isn't looking to take Indian land in reality, or else things would be vastly different. China isn't using military vessels in South China Sea, and China is negotiating with Japan clearly as we speak.

Some like to increase the "threat" we pose and the "threat" others feel, but in reality it's hardly like that.

If the actual threat was as big as that, then I agree, but it's not, hence my confidence in my statements.

Almost an informally stated objective of Xi Jinping is to increase influence in neighboring areas, and be the regional hegemon. It won't work if all your neighbors group together and provide local support and logistics for America to stay put.

The US is the reigning super power, we be going against them either way if we want our place in the sun. Their 11 carriers isn't going to disappear because they don't have 500 guys and gals in some Philippines island.

What needs to be said is that having bases increase one's ability to project their forces, it doesn't increase their force. As long as we find solutions for all 11 carriers, which we would need to regardless of where they are, what does it matter if they have some bases here and there.

Boohoo! US is becoming more irrelevant in Asia by the day and calling China a pariah and hoping that label sticks flies in the face of reality. Whether China's neighbours condemn or condone China's actions in SCS is not important, when it comes to these countries wanting to do business with China. China is the focal-point of trade in Asia and increasingly the most important to the World. Bottom line, countries can't do without China as a trading partner even if they are at odds with China, geostrategically. In the meantime, it is becoming patently clear USA can't deliver on what they promise to regional allies and are being exposed as the freeloading parasites they really are.

Back
Top Bottom