What's new

China EV price war: Nio, Xpeng and Li Auto report steep sales plunge as Tesla’s recent discounts lure buyers

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

• The top three domestic makers of high-end electric cars recorded monthly and year-on-year sales declines in January
  • Some of the drops exceed 50 per cent, after Tesla’s early January price cuts appear to have been effective
China’s top three makers of premium electric cars got off to a slow start in 2023 as the weeklong Lunar New Year holiday disrupted production and sales slowed following recent Tesla price cuts and the end of a government subsidy.

The country’s top three domestic manufacturers of high-end electric vehicles (EVs) – Nio, Xpeng and Li Auto – all recorded monthly and year-on-year sales declines in January, with some of the drops exceeding 50 per cent.

Shanghai-based Nio delivered 8,506 vehicles to mainland customers in January, down 46.2 per cent from December and 11.9 per cent from the same period in 2022.
Guangzhou-headquartered Xpeng said its January deliveries dropped 53.8 per cent from a month earlier to 5,218 units, representing a year-on-year decline of 59.6 per cent.

Li Auto in Beijing handed over 15,141 vehicles to buyers, 28.7 per cent fewer than in December and 23.4 per cent below January 2022 deliveries.

a price war almost always leads to Chinese companies prevailing, Tesla will have a hard time surviving on such a small profit margin

before the cuts
Tesla_Profit_Margins.jpg

Last edited:
Not for long after Giga Berlin fully ramps up for the European market

This is the best move.

The best manufacturing practice from the East (China), combined with the best manufacturing practice from the West (Germany).

I want to see what it will become!

Btw, the price war is good.

I think EV is extremely unrealistically overpriced!

This is the best move.

The best manufacturing practice from the East (China), combined with the best manufacturing practice from the West (Germany).

I want to see what it will become!

Btw, the price war is good.

I think EV is extremely unrealistically overpriced!

It's more likely Italy's Idra as Tesla's future success is based on their Gigapress machines which allows Tesla to make significantly more cars in a given factory space than any other car manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom