What's new

China’s Population Dooms the Transition to Consumer Economy

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
http://wolfstreet.com/2016/05/07/china-population-decline-dooms-transition-to-consumer-economy/

And yet, China’s total debt goes parabolic.

If a business could foresee that it would have a declining consumer base (declining number of total potential customers), that would likely be a pretty good reason for serious concern and significantly lower growth expectations. However, when it comes to China, the shrinkage of its under 65yr/old population and particularly of the 20-59yr/old population is somehow coinciding with the story of China transitioning from an export-based to a domestic consumption-based economy?

To wit, with a declining population, China will transition from exporter to consumer, while all those grown one-child-policy adults support their 65+ year-old parents, and still grow 6%-7% annually? Inquiring minds wonder how it’s possible a declining base of consumers would consume more.

In a word…CREDIT! And, the growth of credit in China has gone parabolic. It’s highly unsustainable and likely ruinous.

The Details:
Each bar in the chart below represents annual growth or decline of the Chinese adult population. The blue line is a 4 period moving average of the population change. From 1973 through 2008, an additional 12.5 million Chinese adults entered the Chinese economy every year. That meant 12.5 million more consumers, home buyers, car buyers, potential job seekers, etc.

But since 2008, annual population growth has decelerated by 95%. By 2017 or 2018, it will begin a long decline. Every year from 2018, the adult 20-59 year-old population of China will decline by millions for at least two decades and likely far longer. This is no forecast or “gloom-n-doom” fantasy, but simply counting the number of people born and tracking them through the population (plus, China has net emigration).

All this means the charts below likely show a best case scenario although the population data could be lower if greater emigration occurs or a higher mortality rate ensues due to illness, environmental, or global disturbances (aka, war).

2016-05-03-Hamilton-China-population-20-59yr-old.png

The People’s Bank of China has been pushing rates down since the Chinese population growth peaked and began decelerating (just like the majority of the developed nations central banks).

In China, the adult consumer population growth peaked in 1989 and rates peaked in the early ’90’s and have been declining since (chart below) to incent a slowing rate of population growth to consume more — and consumer above the level wages and savings could support.

2016-05-03-Hamilton-China-PBOC-discount-rate.png

And the impact of the lower interest rates above combined with China’s capability to push loans out has had an amazing impact on credit creation! The hockey stick chart below of total Chinese credit creation is a monument to the mantra, “build it and they will come.”

2016-05-03-Hamilton-China-total-debt.png

The problem is the Chinese have used the lower rates and massive credit bubble (aka, debt) to build out infrastructure, apartments, factories, shopping malls, etc., for a population base that is never coming!

Credit has been used to build millions of generally unaffordable apartments for a middle class and overall population that has already peaked and is fast receding. Building out somewhere from 50 to 100 million excess apartments and likely trillions of excess retail square footage for a population of under 65-year-olds in fast decline is the insanity only award-winning PhD economists could applaud.

The chart below puts all the pieces together so the inter-relationship can be clearly understood. Population growth slows and credit is made cheaper to incent a level of growth via debt beyond the populations general capability. As the population growth slows more dramatically, rates must be lowered in kind and debt ramped up to maintain “growth.”

What happens next as the adult consumer depopulation begins (simple fact…not forecast) should be obvious: NIRP, QE, and all the kings horses, and all the kings men will try to put Humpty Dumpty back together.

2016-05-03-Hamilton-China-population-debt-discount-rate.png

Beginning in 2018 and accelerating thereafter, there will be millions fewer adult consumers in China every year. On the flip side, the needy 65+ year-old population will swell until China’s total population peaks around 2030 and begins its Japanese style long-term depopulation. All this while interest rate policy plus debt creation are both already effectively exhausted.

There simply is nothing more to build when there is already such overcapacity and growth in non-performing loans. The Chinese determination to add new credit fuel in excess of $1 trillion alone in the first quarter of 2016 is the stuff of hyper-monetization — with money fleeing China and creating bubbles the world over — and potential hyperinflation. Sometimes reality bites…but pretending all is well is simply no longer a viable option. By Chris Hamilton, Hambone’s Stuff

@Hamartia Antidote I am not a economist but correct me if I am wrong but is consumer demand not a function of population size and buying power? Let's look at example of this. Car sales 2010 in millions.

Germany - 3.0
India - 2.4

India with poulation approaching 1.3 billion has nearly 16 times more people than Germany with just 80 million people. However Germany is larger consumer of cars (including most other things) simply because it's consumers have greater buying power. So doing simple body count is very crude measure of consumer market. Over the next decade Chinese earning power will increase thereby easily compensating for any reduction in population.

Even if China's population halved the consumption would easily exceed that of 1970s when it had huge population but buying power of consumers was very weak. That's why you used see only bikes in Beijing of 1970s. Now Chinese wants, car, consumer goods, holidays abroad etc. And more Chinese are wanting these goods as they get more prosperous.

@Hamartia Antidote I am not a economist but correct me if I am wrong but is consumer demand not a function of population size and buying power? Let's look at example of this. Car sales 2010 in millions.

Germany - 3.0
India - 2.4

India with poulation approaching 1.3 billion has nearly 16 times more people than Germany with just 80 million people. However Germany is larger consumer of cars (including most other things) simply because it's consumers have greater buying power. So doing simple body count is very crude measure of consumer market. Over the next decade Chinese earning power will increase thereby easily compensating for any reduction in population.

Even if China's population halved the consumption would easily exceed that of 1970s when it had huge population but buying power of consumers was very weak. That's why you used see only bikes in Beijing of 1970s. Now Chinese wants, car, consumer goods, holidays abroad etc. And more Chinese are wanting these goods as they get more prosperous.

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...re-consumption-trends-and-economic-cycles.asp

@Hamartia Antidote I think your ignoring the fact that while population size might shrink but consumption and productivity might go up. So by definition that is not a problem for at least few decades. In addition your ignoring one vital aspect of all this.

Around China there is huge populations. Those populations represent potential consumers and producers. Traditionally this region (around China) has recieved little attention from US. However because it is China's backyard the Chinese are heavily investing in it. They see this region as export market. Small at the moment but growing and in time will become major. Pakistan, Central Asia are part of this zone.

@Hamartia Antidote I think your ignoring the fact that while population size might shrink but consumption and productivity might go up. So by definition that is not a problem for at least few decades. In addition your ignoring one vital aspect of all this.

Around China there is huge populations. Those populations represent potential consumers and producers. Traditionally this region (around China) has recieved little attention from US. However because it is China's backyard the Chinese are heavily investing in it. They see this region as export market. Small at the moment but growing and in time will become major. Pakistan, Central Asia are part of this zone.

Hey I'm just a doom and gloom messenger. Why don't you argue with some of onebyone's daily doom and gloom posts in this forum too. You can start with this one:
https://defence.pk/threads/why-the-us-dollar-will-collapse-in-28-may-2016.428838/

Last edited:
Hey I'm just a doom and gloom messenger
I don't think "doom" is the right word here. You have a perspective. Nothing wrong with that. I am rather fond of USA. So don't take my views as some exposition of anti American rant.

You can argue
I prefer to characterize the exchange here as "discussion"? I thought that's what these types of forums are for?

onebyone's doom and gloom posts in this forum too if you'd like.
Not sure what you mean by that.

You are correct to large degree in theory.

I have been to China and the people still have much room to improve their productivity and consumption overall. China is still a long way from its long term potential production frontier/LRAS curve.

However China has to start investing even more in non-conventional approaches and economic sectors to operationalise this unmet potential because the conventional side is hitting overcapacity in a hard way....this has to be done till the level of education can be improved into a more balanced high service focused/consumption driven economy which will probably take a couple decades. This is where the demographic situation can be an extra bad ingredient as you can no longer throw the masses into easily invested low paying mass production jobs....and these people somehow have to make margins to support themselves and their elderly dependents in the future because of 1 child policy results.

Oh thanks now I see. Well I don't buy into this rubbish. The fundamentals of USA are great. The human capital, natural resources, the open society and it's well developed linkages across the world place America in a unique and secure position. USA is not about to slide. If anything it will rise even higher.

However the change will be that it's relative position will slide second to China over the next two to three decades. There is nothing wrong with that. It is entirely natural process much like the bigger US overtook Great Britain in early 1900s and then consummated that lead by 1945.

Did that mean Britain collapsed or become poor. No of course. UK today is far more prosperous then it ever was in it's so called "rule the waves" period. What happened was US overtook GB. That is about to happen to USA now. It is simply about size.

He posts articles like that all the time - just to be a troll.
Incest. Inbreeding. Insularity. Introversion. All are bad because they reduce you conceptual horizon. The result of that is the retarded thinking you see often here. So just take that as symptom of backwardness. What do you think "Third World" means?

It means certain type of thinking. Poverty is state of mind that than manifests itself in so many ways. The symptom of that poverty of mind is the tangibles that are visible. Always bear that in mind.

The real problem is the mindset.

Germany - 3.0
India - 2.4

It's a lot complicated than what you say :)

The consumption power is a very complicated equation, it have to do with supply/demand, purchasing power, adjusted inflation and also the wealth distribution. And in this scenario, the supply will be the determine factor on purchase power.

The reason why US (Along with any other developed country) have these great purchasing power is due to the fact that it was compensated by product from developing country (like China now) and while a standard distribution would put upper class in the minimal distribution where as the lower class would always have the most people fall on this category. Where you can have any product suit to the need like TV's, you can buy a high end TV from Samsung but at the same time, if you are poor, you can still get a cheap TV from China, now, in Chinese case, if they become developed, their goods will inflated to a level of others (Say a Chinese made TV would be roughly the same price of an LG) but at the same time, a lot of lower class Chinese cannot afford this, they will need to go for a lower end product, so who would be the "Chinese product" to China?

And for that, the only way for an average Chinese that earn 12,000 a year would be put stuff on credit, which is the point of the article.

It's a lot complicated than what you say :)

The consumption power is a very complicated equation, it have to do with supply/demand, purchasing power, adjusted inflation and also the wealth distribution. And in this scenario, the supply will be the determine factor on purchase power.

The reason why US (Along with any other developed country) have these great purchasing power is due to the fact that it was compensated by product from developing country (like China now) and while a standard distribution would put Upper class in the minimal distribution where as the lower class would always have the most people fall on this category. Where you can have any product suit to the need like TV's, you can buy a high end TV from Samsung but at the same time, if you are poor, you can still get a cheap TV from China, now, for Chinese case, if they become developed, their goods will inflated to a level of others (Say a Chinese made TV would be roughly the same price of an LG) but at the same time, a lot of lower class Chinese cannot afford this, they will need to go for a lower end product, so who would be the "Chinese product" to China?

And for that, the only way for an average Chinese that earn 12,000 a year would be put stuff on credit, which is the point of the article.

No please no....no Statistics ! :cry:

I swore to myself that I would never ever read or listen or do anything to do with Standard Deviations or Normal Distributions or any of that damn statistics that gave me so many sleepless nights before my exams and now you've just talked about them in my favorite subject Economics ! :angry:

It's a lot complicated than what you say
I stated I was not a economist. My observation are that of a lay person and should be taken as that and nothing more.

it was compensated
Well what was so unique about USA that she managed to "compensate" but China will not?

developing country
There is huge swathe of lands around China heavily populated that could serve as "developing country" to use as compensation by China.

Please refer to OBOR or the Silk Road initiative.

I stated I was not a economist. My observation are that of a lay person and should be taken as that and nothing more.

Oh well.....

Well what was so unique about USA that she managed to "compensate" but China will not?

US have about 50 millions lower class and about 150 million middle class while China have 750 million middle class and 350 million lower class............where on earth you can have a country that their product is cheap enough for the 350 millions Chinese, but at the same time can produce product enough for 750 million middle class?

It's quite easy to produce for 50 millions lower class in the US from China, , but 350 millions is a different number game. It would have take Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia combine and I would doubt they will be able to cover that amount per year.

While in the US, US production would compensate this effect, but would lower and middle class Chinese would be able to afford Chinese product, once they have inflated into developed country level? Do bear in mind, it will reach that point somewhere before China's GDP double. where the Middle Class in China would still be earning 24,000 USD per year...

There is huge swathe of lands around China heavily populated that could serve as "developing country" to use as compensation by China.

Please refer to OBOR or the Silk Road initiative.

It's not gonna be enough for the sheer size of Chinese population tho, see point 2.

Back
Top Bottom