What's new

Chabahar finalzing now

A-Team

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
Great news, seems the Chabahar port project is finally coming into production. I have always thought the Iranian-US thaw will have significant positive ramifications for the region especially Afghanistan and this seem to the yielding those.

Now India, Pakistan sort out your pity issues, and lets have a cross-regional commerce ( I may sound naive, but who knows our leadership may show some courage :)

India, Iran and Afghanistan come together for international transit corridor - The Times of India

PS : Can someone please fix the spelling on the title, there is typo there :P

Great news, seems the Chabahar port project is finally coming into production. I have always thought the Iranian-US thaw will have significant positive ramifications for the region especially Afghanistan and this seem to the yielding those.

Now India, Pakistan sort out your pity issues, and lets have a cross-regional commerce ( I may sound naive, but who knows our leadership may show some courage :)

India, Iran and Afghanistan come together for international transit corridor - The Times of India

Probably the Pakistanis will show interest there once it is operational. In any case, the port will be able to boost trade to a great margin, specially for a landlocked country like Afghanistan.

• Good news brother. Much needed boost for our relationship. It will will touch new heights when it get operational by next year end. Am sure lots of relief material and lots of Indian vegetables will reach every Afghan in Afghanistan than ever before. Let them stop all the trade routes we will find any other ways.
  • I wish India will supply our weapons like pinaka, howitzer (about to be operational) Arjun MK2, Light utility helicopters Indian and Russian origins, armoured vehicles, What not Tejas to AMCA or even MKI with Russian India Afghan deal is very possible in future.
II can see why Afghanistan can't be power full nation in the region...

Charbahar cannot make Afghanistan competitive -- your can see what scholars say.

Good luck to India & Afghanistan. I hope i dont need to se any afghan in Pakistan in future. So much hatered towards Pakistan. We tought you were our brother & sisters....

Charbahar cannot make Afghanistan competitive -- your can see what scholars say.

I would be interested to hear which scholars are you refering to ? Any links or publications. Thanks

Chabahar gives Afghanistan another route to trade with the outside world in addition to Pakistani and northern routes, potentially giving the traders more option, which will have positive economic ramification to the Afghan economy

I would be interested to hear which scholars are you refering to ? Any links or publications. Thanks

Chabahar gives Afghanistan another route to trade with the outside world in addition to Pakistani and northern routes, potentially giving the traders more option, which will have positive economic ramification to the Afghan economy

I'll try to put together a list -- of late I've not been keeping notes due to work -- but I think this is a topic worth researching.

The basic problems seem to be:
1. Chabahar not being a "true" deep water port -- neither is Bandar Abbas -- Iran doesn't have any deepwater ports -- Pakistan by comparison has 3.
Apparently Iran for its own imports gets stuff first delivered to Dubai and then ships it to Bandar Abbas
2. The Zaranj Delaram road link passes through the south of Afghanistan allowing Pakistan to interdict the traffic
3. How the Population of Afghanistan (Kandahar, Jalalabad, Kabul) being much closer to Pakistan population centers and ports

I'll try to put out a summary (time to restart my blog) of references to the above.

Positive effect: yes -- make Afghanistan competitive on its sea link fronts: no.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom