What's new

Capture of Lowi Sam

Wonder why we didnt deploy any Al-Zarrars, these T-59s look horrible...but I guess they get the job done.

These seem to be modified but not as heavily as Al Zarrar. Anyways would anyone know how many tanks, apc's, heli's, etc. are being used for these operations? We look like the Northern Alliance fighting them in that video and something tells me most resources are still frozen in Kashmir and along the India border.

The T-59s are used because that is what the units in that area are equipped with. Most of the new hardware (AK, T-84s and Al-Zarrar equipped units) are deployed with units in Sind and Punjab. In the absence of a serious anti-tank threat, the T-59s are fine for the role they are being used in.

Yeah I figured that much, and I heard from somewhere (possibly incorrectly) that these tanks are the ones that have been decomissioned by the Army and are now being operated by the FC.

Pakistan has a sizeable tank fleet, but maybe our commanders are making a sensible decision and trying not to expose our Armored Forces tank crews to this kind of most unconventional and relatively less intense anti-insurgency operations so that they may focus on and channel their abilities into tactics designed for Indian Armored formations. MAYBE.:lol:

Not all T-59's were converted to Al Zarrar? Or are these Frontier Corp? How many tanks were needed for this operation?

Not all T-59's were converted to Al Zarrar? Or are these Frontier Corp? How many tanks were needed for this operation?

Yes not all, I would say probably 30% of the T-59 force would go through the Al Zarrar upgrade. In operations such as these, even one Armoured Regiment is enough. Not sure of the exact number committed here though.

I think the upgrade soes not add much in this harsh area. he thanks are more valuable on the other side.

You have to bear in mind that Al Zarar is a force multiplier and a stop gap before Al Khalid 2 is introduced.

You have to bear in mind that Al Zarar is a force multiplier and a stop gap before Al Khalid 2 is introduced.

JK, stopgap it is, but not sure about it being a force multiplier though. In terms of armoured formations, AZ would only replace a tank (T-59) for a tank. Not much multiplication of force in the way armour is typically deployed.

Thanks Blain I should have said that in terms of Technology it has the ability to bring Pakistans Armoured Corps on par with the Indian army.

Yeah well there are many ways of looking at it, but from what I have heard is that the Al-Zarrar are not intented for offense operations, just designed to nicely fill the defensive gaps in our armoured formations. And yeah they're gonna have to be replaced eventually.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom