What's new

Cache of suicide vests found in Afghan defense ministry

Sugarcane

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KABUL, Afghanistan -- A number of Afghan national army soldiers have been arrested inside the country’s defense ministry over a foiled suicide bomb plot, officials told NBC News.

The soldiers were held on Monday afternoon along with 11 suicide bomb vests in a guard box in the building in the capital, Kabul, army officials said on Tuesday.

Afghan news web site Khaama also reported the arrests, saying the incident raises fresh concerns over infiltration of militants among the country’s Afghan security forces.

There were no further details immediately available.

Tim Marshall, foreign editor of UK channel Sky News, said that the incident was serious, and showed that the Taliban are determined to chase NATO out of the country.

"The fact that these arrests took place within the walls of the defense ministry illustrates the level of insurgent penetration within the Afghanistan establishment and just tells you -- gives a signal of -- what is likely to happen when NATO leaves," he said.

The arrests came on the same day that at least three NATO service members were shot dead by Afghan security forces in two separate attacks.

A gunman wearing an Afghan army uniform killed two NATO troops in southern Afghanistan, while another was shot in eastern Afghanistan by an alleged member of the Afghan Local Police.

The attacks brought to 16 the number of NATO-led forces killed so far this year in what appeared to be attacks by members of Afghan forces.

Meanwhile, support for the war in Afghanistan has dropped sharply among both Republicans and Democrats, according to a New York Times/CBS News poll published Tuesday.

The survey found that more than two-thirds of those polled — 69 percent — thought that the United States should not be at war in Afghanistan, the New York Times reported.

Just four months ago, 53 percent said that Americans should no longer be fighting in the conflict, it said.

It added that the increased disillusionment was even more pronounced when respondents were asked their impressions of how the war was going. The poll found that 68 percent thought the fighting was going “somewhat badly” or “very badly,” compared with 42 percent who had those impressions in November.

The poll was conducted by telephone from March 21 to 25 with 986 adults nationwide.

World News - Bomb plot foiled: Cache of suicide vests found in Afghan defense ministry

I think US must hurry in packing there bags because Afghanistan is going to be a living hell for them

I think US must hurry in packing there bags because Afghanistan is going to be a living hell for them

And when they are gone, God forbid Afghanistan will become a living hell for its people, provided if Taliban return or civil war again breaks out.

I hope and wish we don't have to see such a day, Afghans and Afghanistan has suffered a lot, may Allah bring peace and prosperity to them again.

Taliban of 80's are long dead, it is Afghan spring.

Afghanistan is far from safe. The coalition forces are hell bent on deserting the Afghans like they did after the fall of the Soviets. Truth be told, the Afghans are far from ready to sustain themselves. I would predict a fall of the puppet regime in Afghanistan within 2 years MAX of the ISAF leaving from Afghanistan.

What is more important is to keep Pakistan insulated from the inevitable fallout of the impending chaos in Afghanistan, as much as is possible.

What is more important is to keep Pakistan insulated from the inevitable fallout of the impending chaos in Afghanistan, as much as is possible.

The Taliban coming to power will be a serious problem for Pakistan. They will be vexed with us for choosing to side with the US over them. We can't afford to loose our 'Startegic Depth'. Like it or not, after ISAF leaves, regional powers and Pakistan in particular MUST work to keep the Taliban out of Kabul for our own interests. The problem arises because the Afghans have a natural tendency to despise Pakistan, even after all we do for them. So another regional power will have to take a leading role in Afg. Most say it will be India but I believe that Pakistan acting as a buffer zone makes that arrangement too complex. I believe Turkey will and must be encouraged to take the leading role in the 'New' Afghanistan.

The Taliban coming to power will be a serious problem for Pakistan. They will be vexed with us for choosing to side with the US over them.

It is not just being vexed. They will see Pakistan as a prize made exceedingly precious by virtue of possessing nuclear weapons, a prize worth going to any extremes to get their hands on. They can count on an increasing number of sympathizers within Pakistani society to help them achieve this goal, sadly.

We can't afford to loose our 'Startegic Depth'.

I would say strategic depth is already gone, if it ever existed, and not likely to come back either.

Like it or not, after ISAF leaves, regional powers and Pakistan in particular MUST work to keep the Taliban out of Kabul for our own interests.

Pakistan will find its rightful pursuit of national interest increasingly difficult in Kabul due to the competition it will face from other avenues, including those created by USA, India and Iran.

The problem arises because the Afghans have a natural tendency to despise Pakistan, even after all we do for them.

That is unfortunate but true, and India will be doing everything it can to increase that animosity. It has already started well enough down that path.

So another regional power will have to take a leading role in Afg. Most say it will be India but I believe that Pakistan acting as a buffer zone makes that arrangement too complex.

The arrangement's complexity is not insurmountable, and one that India's calculus will show to be well worth the potential rewards.

I believe Turkey will and must be encouraged to take the leading role in the 'New' Afghanistan.

Turkey is a NATO member and a close long-standing US ally; it would be naive to think that it would support Pakistan's interest over USA's in Afghanistan. It may play a role as intermediary, but Pakistan will have to do this on its own, albeit with some Chinese support.

Afghanistan is far from safe. The coalition forces are hell bent on deserting the Afghans like they did after the fall of the Soviets..

How many posts and threads calling for the US to go when they do the posts start saying they should stay and for them to leave is a desertion?

People are getting what they wanted the US is leaving and according to so many here now the taliban will all hand in their weapons and go home Afghanistan will become Jannah on earth all Pakistans problems will disapear.

Well it has been said so may times Pakistand would do it better now is your chance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom