What's new

[Breaking news] YOASOBI, "Idol" tops US Billboard global chart "Global Excl. US"

YOASOBI 's "Idol" topped the US Billboard global chart "Global Excl. US" dated June 10, 2023. This song entered the TOP 10 six weeks ago , and with the release of the English version on May 26, it jumped from No. 6 to No. 1, making it YOASOBI's first No. 1 hit on the chart. It is also the first time that a Japanese song has topped the chart.
YOASOBI's "Idol", the opening theme song for the TV anime "Oshi no Ko" (TOKYO MX, etc.), was streamed 45.7 million times outside the United States from May 26th to June 1st (up 14% from the previous week). ), and recorded 24,000 downloads (up 39% from the previous week), jumping from 6th to 1st on the Global Excl. US chart. For YOASOBI, it was the first time in the top 10 of the chart since "Yoru ni Kakeru" recorded 6th place in 2021, and this song remained on the chart for 87 weeks. On the other hand, in the global chart "Global 200", Eslavon Armado and Peso Pulma's "Ella Baira Sola" returned from 2nd to 1st place. This is the first song in the genre called "regional Mexican" to top the chart, and has recorded a total of 4 weeks.
Additionally, Taylor Swift 's "Karma" soared from No. 96 to No. 6 on the Global 200. The song debuted at No. 10 on the Global 200 at the same time as the album "Midnights" entered the US charts last November, and entered the Top 10 for a week.was released, and on the 27th, the official music video was released, renewing the highest ranking. The Global 200 and Global Excl. US charts, launched in September 2020, are song rankings that aggregate download and streaming data extracted from over 200 regions around the world. Excl. US consists of data for regions excluding the United States. Chart rankings reflect official streaming on subscription and ad-supported audio and video music distribution services, and download sales reflecting purchases at full-service digital music retailers worldwide (the latter reflects sales from D2C sites. (excluded from chart calculation) is determined based on a formula that reflects In addition, "Idol" has topped the Billboard JAPAN general song chart "JAPAN Hot 100" for seven consecutive weeks.
Source: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/888f035803c82f2525bb82a5611f32867dbc5bf8

Wow, insane that a meme band some years ago now literally top US Billboard. Anime music FTW.

Me think the "Idol" song is OK, not as good as the "Blessing" that YOASOBI did for Gundam: Witch of Mercury, but I love the meme edition with Shin vs Neo Getter "Storm" insert:

Wow, insane that a meme band some years ago now literally top US Billboard.

Global Excl. U.S means "Global excluding US".

The Billboard Global Excl. U.S. is a chart compiled by Billboard that tracks the most popular songs and artists based on global streams and sales outside of the United States. It provides a snapshot of the most successful music worldwide, excluding data from the United States market.

The chart takes into account various factors such as digital downloads, streaming numbers, and physical sales in international markets. It reflects the popularity and impact of songs and artists on a global scale, excluding the data and influence from the United States, which has its separate Billboard charts.

The Billboard Global Excl. U.S. chart is an important indicator of international success in the music industry and provides insights into the global popularity of songs and artists beyond the American market.

Global Excl. U.S means "Global excluding US".

The Billboard Global Excl. U.S. is a chart compiled by Billboard that tracks the most popular songs and artists based on global streams and sales outside of the United States. It provides a snapshot of the most successful music worldwide, excluding data from the United States market.

The chart takes into account various factors such as digital downloads, streaming numbers, and physical sales in international markets. It reflects the popularity and impact of songs and artists on a global scale, excluding the data and influence from the United States, which has its separate Billboard charts.

The Billboard Global Excl. U.S. chart is an important indicator of international success in the music industry and provides insights into the global popularity of songs and artists beyond the American market.
Damn, should move the thread to World Afairs then.

US is the odd man out here.

Delete 1st post and entire thread will delete..and then recreate it
Yeah I decide to let the posts stay in America section, just to let the americans know that hey this song is popular worldwide, just not in America for some reasons.

Yeah I decide to let the posts stay in America section, just to let the americans know that hey this song is popular worldwide, just not in America for some reasons.

I think female Asian singers don't do well because their high pitch voices tend to sound more "child-like" than high-pitched Western voices.

Male is okay because it isn't so different. You can't understand the words but the pitch is fine.

In fact he sounds like somebody from Spain.

Last edited:
I think female Asian singers don't do well because of their high voice "baby" pitch being so different.

Male is okay because it isn't so different. You can't understand the words but the pitch is fine.

I'm an Asian so I don't know what western music is like, but honestly, I can say I like Evanescence because it feels like j-pop and canto-pop with the melody and strong vocals. Asian singers have very strong vocals.

Other western pop by female singers feel like they are mumbling than singing.

Of course, rock & metal are still good.

Yo, this Idol x Storm crossover is getting out of hands:

Not Idol, but, yeah, US Presidents singing Yoru ni Kakeru:

These meme songs are getting way outta hands.

I think female Asian singers don't do well because their high pitch voices tend to sound more "child-like" than high-pitched Western voices.

I think female group singers tend to have more popular 'higher pitched' songs than female solo singers.

Some old-school Japanese song:

Singaporean singer:

I think female group singers tend to have more popular 'higher pitched' songs than female solo singers.

Some old-school Japanese song:

Singaporean singer:
It depends on the group, some female groups do try to sound high pitch due to them being cutesy.

Meanwhile the badass groups have strong vocals:
Like Fictionjunction (disbanded so sad :() :

Or Waggaki band (though they are a rock group):

Back
Top Bottom