What's new

Bomb defused at Karachi’s Jinnah Hospital

Dance

Reaction score
KARACHI: Police said they defused a bomb left in a makeshift mosque inside a hospital compound in the country’s biggest city of Karachi, fearing it could have detonated during Friday prayers.

The police found a bag in a tented mosque in the residential colony of Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre with the live bomb inside.

“Some witnesses informed the police about a suspicious looking bag, which some unknown men had abandoned in the mosque,” Iqbal Mehmood, a senior police official, told reporters.

Speaking to media representatives, the official said that more than 20 kilograms of explosive material, including two detonators, was hidden inside a sack and was planted at the location.

He added the explosive device was similar to the ones used in the naval bus attacks earlier this year.

Another police official said on condition of anonymity that it was a remote-controlled bomb and that police feared it could have been detonated during the main Friday prayers in the afternoon.

Mr Mehmood said security was being tightened around places of worship and the city had been put on high alert. Moreover, search operations were being conducted at mosques and imambargahs across the city

Bomb defused at Karachi’s Jinnah Hospital | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

Cowards- fu*king cowards, planting a bomb in a HOSPITAL?!! NO religion justifies this and those who claim it does deserve to face the same justice they are willing to hand out to their innocent victims- SCUM.

a hospital? wow....pretty barbaric.
good work to the police who foiled this attack by an ever-increasingly desperate enemy.

their wanton disregard for human life is the reason why they have hardly any support in the country....

i would expect that the hospital had CCTV cameras, and if not -- then that is too bad

It seems that they are running out of suicide bombers.

Well any terrorist activity can be stopped with the help of normal citizens if they report and of course immediate response from our security forces. An year back when our Army people went to US for some training. My friend was also part of them. He alongwith his course mates was just roaming around and taking pictures. Few minutes later, a policeman came to them on report of an old lady, checked their camera, seen all the pictures they took and after identity was proved, they were allowed to go. I really appreciate the act of that lady, who just informed the policeman that she saw few people speaking alien language and capturing some pictures. If we all keep our eyes open, we can stop the terrorist activities.

It seems that they are running out of suicide bombers.

Well any terrorist activity can be stopped with the help of normal citizens if they report and of course immediate response from our security forces. An year back when our Army people went to US for some training. My friend was also part of them. He alongwith his course mates was just roaming around and taking pictures. Few minutes later, a policeman came to them on report of an old lady, checked their camera, seen all the pictures they took and after identity was proved, they were allowed to go. I really appreciate the act of that lady, who just informed the policeman that she saw few people speaking alien language and capturing some pictures. If we all keep our eyes open, we can stop the terrorist activities.

Yes I agree with you sir. But I think this approach only treats the symptom and not the cause. This vigilance needs to be coupled with identifying and addressing the social, economic and political reasons for these young people joining terrorist orginisationsnin the first place- this is the only way of defeating terrorism- the most dangerous weapon in the world, an idea.

lol@ running out of suicide bombers..
Or may be its due to CIA budget cut..they have ran out of funds for this year..

Yes I agree with you sir. But I think this approach only treats the symptom and not the cause. This vigilance needs to be coupled with identifying and addressing the social, economic and political reasons for these young people joining terrorist orginisationsnin the first place- this is the only way of defeating terrorism- the most dangerous weapon in the world, an idea.

Totally agreed. Just consider the example of my friends again. Had there some terrorists in their place, taking some pictures and could not prove their identities, the next would be their landing in Police Stations for interrogations, and police might get the whole network caught. Thats what I meant.

Back
Top Bottom